Domain Empire

GoDaddy auctions raising more questions...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maxwell

Top Member
Impact
Alright, so I won a really good domain at Godaddy auctions for $15. A domain I wouldn't have been surprised at all if it sold for low $x,xxx.

I then paid, then waited a week and received no domain in my account. So I emailed them and they said that I personally need to email the seller. I was really confused by this because from my experience as a seller the domain is just taken out of my account automatically, no buyer/seller communication needed. I also thought it was really stupid because what GoDaddy is basically doing by this is allowing the seller to back out. Sure enough, I never received the domain or a response from him and then I was refunded. Nothing I could do about it.

This is insanely frustrating because one time (a few months before this) I was the seller and didn't want to follow through with a low $xxx auction sale (because I received a genuine $5,000 offer via email shortly after), and I had no such luck. The domain was just automatically removed from my account.

I learned from, or at least thought I learned from this, but no, when I'm the buyer it's not binding for the seller.

By the way I understand things may be different if the domain is registered elsewhere, but in both cases the domain was registered at Godaddy

Anyway, this raises many questions. Makes me not want to use Godaddy anymore...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know in some instances, Godaddy sends domains to auction that are close to expiring. In that case, if you win the auction the seller/domain owner by law might still have a few more days to decide to renew the domain. In that case you would be refunded, otherwise you would get the domain. This was the case with the last auction I won at Godaddy.

•••
The same has happened to me @rivey001 - The domain goes into Closeout, you pick it up, then 5 days into the 7 days you wait, they renew it and you've now lost it.. I hate that!

•••
I am dealing with this currently for a name I purchased. They informed me I had to pay for a transfer as the domain was listed at another registrar. I responding asking if it is possible the owner of the domain at said register could just push the name to my acct at the same registrar. They said "yes" but I would not get the free renewal with the transfer. So if you want you can just have the name pushed to your account at the corresponding registrar and then email godaddy to confirm you have received the domain. There is a link in the buyers section under the domain to email the seller

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back