Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

doc24

A Wish SandwichEstablished Member
Impact
What happened Afternic/Godaddy.???
1.No more search

2.No more camel casing names

3.Search for a specific term through Afternic/GoDaddy – Names I have with that term DO NOT show up. Mostly a few premium names and 10-15 different extensions with the term with no variations.
I experimented with 15 different terms included in my actual domain name and not once did the variation show. ONLY when putting in the EXACT term did it show.

4.No make offer page.

5.You have to have your nameserver set to Afternic if you want to use a Dan lander for Lease to Own. You cannot use a Dan nameserver for this unless you are pointing towards Dan landers anyway and then its not an option to have Afternic anyway.

6.Request a price has no tracking of an inquiry and no way to see what is being discussed as in Dan.Just because a lead comes in does not mean that its showing in your leads area and the fact you have no idea whats being discussed.

7. I don’t know any domain investors that would not sell a $50k name for 45k, so you think by not having make offer that is intelligent in any way shape or form

8. Make the Afternic admin panel so you can scroll across while maintaining name on left like your Godaddy domain admin ? I mean you have many columns.

This seems like Dan is going to be gone just as Uni was gone which I got the most inquiries ever through them as compared to Afternic/Dan/GoDaddy and I have some very good domains, not crap at all. These things are relative to all domain people and make it easier to search,find,negotiate and buy names, why has this become ridiculous?

Andrew Rosener – one of the smartest people in the domain space said recently that he had his own landers previously and changed back to afternic because the difference was 300% increase on traffic. However he never stated which landers he was using. Which would be interesting to see for sure because he would know. Personally I have no idea any more which way to go to maximize sales for the mid tear domain names $2000-$10000.. Afternic, Dan or what

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @doc24
Thanks for your feedback, we can address some of these points.

1. Search has transitioned to GoDaddy. It has been covered in Afternic's announcement blog. Along with the strong brand association buyers have with GoDaddy, less than 1% of Afternic's domain sales came from Afternic.com search. Moving search lets Afternic focus on what moves the needle for domain sellers - maintaining and growing the distribution network, sale lander capabilities, and more. That being said, this is the first iteration of the new Afternic.com front of site, and other features may be added in future.

2. Afternic has never had camel casing. It has been tested but never implemented. This may be revisited.

3. GoDaddy search is constantly being iterated and tested to display the best names for the searcher. We are continuing to explore aftermarket-focused searches.

4. Among the landers Afternic offers is Request Price. This works extremely well to connect leads with brokers. From there, offers can be made. Offers can also be made on premium domains through GoDaddy Search. Aside from that, Afternic is testing an internal landing page - example: https://www.afternic.com/domain/no_url_shorteners - this is a direct replacement for the old "Classic" make offer lander and testing will continue on internal pages for now.

5. If you want to show your Afternic Lease to Own settings on a lander, then the Dan.com Lander from Afternic is your choice. The Dan.com Lander at Afternic provides Afternic sellers with access to the popular lander. Dan.com is a separate marketplace and doesn't share LTO pricing or terms, so the two aren't interchangeable.

6. Afternic's brokers handle these leads and provide updates along the way. Afternic's team may add and adjust features of the Lead Center in future.

7. Setting realistic floor prices for your domains ensures that brokers have a range to work within when offers come in. For example, if you have a Buy it Now price at $50,000, setting a floor of $45,000 signals that you're willing to accept a $45,000 offer, and the broker will act accordingly.

8. That's a great point, and something that is being built right now.

The choice lander is ultimately your choice, seeing what works for your names after extensive A/B testing. However, the strong GoDaddy branding and the godaddy.com URL of Afternic's Buy it Now lander has proven popular with sellers, especially up to $5,000.

We hope this information is helpful to you and we do appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to reach out with further questions via DM.

•••
Hi @doc24

1. Search has transitioned to GoDaddy. It has been covered in Afternic's announcement blog. Along with the strong brand association buyers have with GoDaddy, less than 1% of Afternic's domain sales came from Afternic.com search. Moving search lets Afternic focus on what moves the needle for domain sellers - maintaining and growing the distribution network, sale lander capabilities, and more. That being said, this is the first iteration of the new Afternic.com front of site, and other features may be added in future.

2. Afternic has never had camel casing. It has been tested but never implemented. This may be revisited.

3. GoDaddy search is constantly being iterated and tested to display the best names for the searcher. We are continuing to explore aftermarket-focused searches.

4. Among the landers Afternic offers is Request Price. This works extremely well to connect leads with brokers. From there, offers can be made. Offers can also be made on premium domains through GoDaddy Search. Aside from that, Afternic is testing an internal landing page - example: https://www.afternic.com/domain/no_url_shorteners - this is a direct replacement for the old "Classic" make offer lander and testing will continue on internal pages for now.

5. If you want to show your Afternic Lease to Own settings on a lander, then the Dan.com Lander from Afternic is your choice. The Dan.com Lander at Afternic provides Afternic sellers with access to the popular lander. Dan.com is a separate marketplace and doesn't share LTO pricing or terms, so the two aren't interchangeable.

6. Afternic's brokers handle these leads and provide updates along the way. Afternic's team may add and adjust features of the Lead Center in future.

7. Setting realistic floor prices for your domains ensures that brokers have a range to work within when offers come in. For example, if you have a Buy it Now price at $50,000, setting a floor of $45,000 signals that you're willing to accept a $45,000 offer, and the broker will act accordingly.

The choice lander is ultimately your choice, seeing what works for your names after extensive A/B testing. However, the strong GoDaddy branding and the godaddy.com URL of Afternic's Buy it Now lander has proven popular with sellers, especially up to $5,000.

We hope this information is helpful to you and we do appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to reach out with further questions via DM.

I was personally told by Afternic people that domains were camel cased across the network, more than 3-4 times they stated this. That should be a given due to the fact that if you want to look professional making the domain look as good as possible to any buyers. Many many times have buyers been overlooking domains that are not. This is a fact written about many times over in articles. To be the best marketplace you should present the best appearance period.

If you are just going to drag out getting rid of Dan then just get it over with .

This seems like a typical form letter actually , especially when I have tested the search several times and the facts are the facts. GoDaddy is trying to get people to register other extensions as the top return on search and NOT presenting other very viable names in a list of options. On top of that they are certainly not listing them before the other extension options. The average I searched came out to about 15 options presented and of those there were about 3-4 for sale names and in fact when I searched for a term in a name I had, it never even appeared at all. That is a fact. Cant sell what does not appear and giving a buyer all options should be the main focus. Not the majority being secondary extensions.

•••
6.Request a price has no tracking of an inquiry and no way to see what is being discussed as in Dan.Just because a lead comes in does not mean that its showing in your leads area and the fact you have no idea whats being discussed.
And transparency should be the rule - a seller should be able to see all communications

•••
Hi @doc24

Personally I'm quite happy with Dans landers. Especially the option to include user generated text (to describe my brandables). It also shows the name in CamelCase which is helpful. Very professional looking landers that I hope will result in a good STR.

•••
Personally I'm quite happy with Dans landers. Especially the option to include user generated text (to describe my brandables). It also shows the name in CamelCase which is helpful. Very professional looking landers that I hope will result in a good STR.
Dan is great however alot of the talk is Dan is going away just like UNI did and if you talk with godaddy they are steering people to their landers now instead of either - very suspicious

•••
Dan is great however alot of the talk is Dan is going away just like UNI did and if you talk with godaddy they are steering people to their landers now instead of either - very suspicious

It makes sense as they integrate that eventually Dan, GD, and AN landers will become one. I do hope they continue to allow user generated text in whatever the final iteration becomes. In the meantime, I'm switching a decent percentage back to Dan (after previously leaving them when they changed their commission prices last year). I went to Bodis landers which have 0 commission, but Bodis cannot correct the fact their landers are being blocked by people using AdBlockers. Dan's landers load fine for me with the same AdBlocker installed, so I'm slowly shifting there. 15% commission is worse than 0%, but a lost sale is the worst. Why Bodis can't fix what Dan did I'll never know, but I spoke with them and they said there is nothing they can do.

•••
It makes sense as they integrate that eventually Dan, GD, and AN landers will become one. I do hope they continue to allow user generated text in whatever the final iteration becomes. In the meantime, I'm switching a decent percentage back to Dan (after previously leaving them when they changed their commission prices last year). I went to Bodis landers which have 0 commission, but Bodis cannot correct the fact their landers are being blocked by people using AdBlockers. Dan's landers load fine for me with the same AdBlocker installed, so I'm slowly shifting there. 15% commission is worse than 0%, but a lost sale is the worst. Why Bodis can't fix what Dan did I'll never know, but I spoke with them and they said there is nothing they can do.
Yeah - Thats baloney - You can fix the ad blocker issue - many major online places do it as far as Dan goes I think they are so much better than Afternic its not even close

•••
as far as Dan goes I think they are so much better than Afternic its not even close

Unfortunately better means nothing when Dan is not an American company. I'm sure the situation frustrates the hell out of Dan's team and they've lost their spirit.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah - Thats baloney - You can fix the ad blocker issue - many major online places do it as far as Dan goes I think they are so much better than Afternic its not even close

I know. That's why when Troy told me "Unfortunately there is very little we can do about this for the time being." I decided to move some of my landers back to Dan. The reality is Bodis charges $0 for using its landers so it's hard to complain. But clearly it could be fixed. I'd rather pay a 1-2% and have them fix all issues and improve their landers rather than offer them totally free and get no support.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back