Dynadot

news GoDaddy to acquire domain sales platform dan.com!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How do you guys feel about Squadhelp?

•••
Congrats on the agreement and for your exit, but if your real intentions are to build positive sentiments to domainers, the main asset of your business, maybe you should start by being honest to them and name this exit what it is: an exit. "Joining forces" is not synonymous with exit and domainers are not retards.

"100% of Dan's employees including management and Reza won't leave the company and the reason for that is because we're given the chance to do what we do well at a larger scale."
Common, you are not leaving because the takeover must be a smooth process ensured by the DAN.com actual employees, because of GD contract, and not for that cheap line.

The fact that all your communications are full of distortions is not creating trust at all, but the opposite.

"domainers are not retards"

most not
but DAN actually never cared too much

•••
"domainers are not retards"

most not
but DAN actually never cared too much
Honestly, until now I had a very good experience with undeveloped/dan.com team, each time I have contacted them they were acting careful enough, that's why I am saying that now it would be a shame to start having this kind of attitude toward domainers, I repeat, the main asset of their business. It's ok, take the GD money but don't take also GD attitude from day one and pretend to be the same decent corporation.

•••
Dan.com began as Undeveloped.nl. The website was in Dutch, with a stated mission to be "The Dutch marketplace for domain names." I knew that when I joined Undeveloped in 2016. So its not news, or a crime, for a Dutch owned domain marketplace to favor Dutch names.

How else can one explain a Pizzeria.com lander loading 5 unrelated .nl and European related names?
A non-biased domain marketplace algo would offer contextual domain alternatives to prospects.

"How does GoDaddy buying them...?" Godaddy would not favor .nl or European domains over contextuals.

@karmaco "Are you in Europe? If so there is your answer." Makes no sense. And, I recently changed my account settings when I saw they don't always work, as intended, on Pizzeria.com, etc..

@alcy "from my experience" an evidence supported conclusion is not a conspiracy theory.

•••
DAN is a commercial enterprise.
Commercial businesses focus on profitability.
DAN saw the money and took it.
End of the story.

•••
One thing Dan were very good at before was customer support, literally it would take less than an hour to hear back from them.

I'm now waiting 24 hours for a support request. I'm hoping I will hear from them but it's not a good sign.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @LaszloSchenk is that the case?
1671752978749.png

1671753031757.png

1671753079397.png

•••
I dont know about EU or Netherlands laws.
But maybe a Dutch company in Netherlands selling a domain to a German customer in Germany has to apply Netherlands VAT and not Germany VAT.
?
no
I am selling the domain as a German to a German 19% if business or not
Dutch selling to a German Business 0% to a German Private 21%
Me selling to international People Business or not 0%
their system knows and works

just the help text is wrong
and superfluous

as everbody knows what VAT (MwSt) is and how much
everbody

•••
When I entered domain speculation in 2015, GoDaddy had great prices, discounts and competitive renewal rates. In 2022, they now have the least competitive renewal rates, highest BIN commissions, and a 1 coupon limit per customer, literally one coupon per account - one time usage.

I don't see Dan.com deal being good for domain speculators, though I congratulate Dan.com on a successful exit. Building a good product or service isn't easy, let alone building a company or brand to GTO said goods or services.

Still, no matter the level of ambiguous PR talk I hear from GD and Dan, I'll wait to see where things are one year from now. Historically, all these deals do is increase costs for users of GoDaddy. Study the record since 2015 and prove me wrong.

With every acquisition the costs are passed onto customers, and domainers are 70% of the domain business.

Ironically, one of the arguments from monopolists for monopoly is lower costs!

On the bright side, I use NameCheap, Epik, and Dynadot registrars and the removal of Dan from the innovation lane opens a huge opportunity for aforementioned registrars and others. Customizable landers, single digit commissions, flexible payment plans, and registrant controlled negotiations are key to filling the Dan.com vacuum.

Many like myself were expecting the big announcement from Dan as a newly minted registry, so total let down in that regard.

If all fails, I'll focus on building my own landers in 2023 to keep all commissions to myself.

domain speculator lol u speculate stock or crypto...not domains

gd is just a.money grab.. I mean who else has domain club just to get u to half decent prices..not even best.. and then who has the nerve to double price of that domain club. if gd had some decency they would be ashamed of themselves. but.we all know what cashdaddy wants.

•••
In my experience, Dan favored European domainers so the Godaddy sale should level the playing field.

For example, I noticed when I nameserver a domain to Dan, it displays a page of mostly European domains, (instead of 'other domains from this domain seller'), until I add the domain name to my account. And, if a domain is not 'configured properly', Dan takes it as an opportunity to load a "get inspired" page, of mostly European domains, instead of notifying the account owner, or displaying their 'other domains'.

1657232374070.png

•••
Epik should learn to protect their servers first.

•••
It seems not only you are not able to write but also to read. Have a good day

•••
whelp this has to be the worst June,April fools joke ever…

Just feels like a slap in the face by Dan, I get it you’ll take the money but come on.. sell it to someone else not godaddy, I would approve of Epik over Godaddy…

F you, Dan!

Edited by moderator to remove vulgarity
I hope you are joking when you say you favour Epik over Godaddy.

Granted Godaddy is crap, Epik is a diarrhea burst.

They literally took one of my high-valued domain names before redemption period expired.

It's been known for years they are a rogue registrar.

•••
Epik Fees are lower as compare to dan

Last edited:
•••
Bad news for the drop listers. Better remove those unregistered domains.
I guess the google analytics changes wont affect dan users as afternic doesnt like showing those stats.

•••
So is this a good news or bad news?

•••
Read the rules 1.1. Do not spam or engage in self-promotion outside of the designated promotional sections (e.g., you may share discounts in Domain Coupons) and permitted threads (i.e., discussions or reviews about an entity that you represent). Rule 1.15 applies. Exceptions are made for paid ads. Tip: Ads can be posted for free in the Promotional section.

This is not the first time he is spamming. He is the only CEO GOT ban here because spamming. I don’t under why people keep kissing his a$$ because he is the CEO?

•••
•••
By the way, I think a lot of people approach this from the wrong angle.

If you are a domainer, then you sell to end users. So the question is, do end users like, use, and trust GoDaddy? I think the answer is yes.

See their reviews: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.godaddy.com

Currently it is 4.7 / 5, based on 45,057 reviews.

GoDaddy is expensive, but think as an end user. If you are a typical end user, then you only have a single or a few domains. So the price is not that important. It is not significant whether you pay 10 or 20 USD / domain / year. Because you are an end user and you only have a single or a few domains.

What is important is that you need great customer service (GoDaddy indeed has great customer service to end users), you need a trusted company with a proven track record, you don't want to lose your domain etc.

So based on this, because end users like, know, use, and trust GoDaddy, then I think this acquistion can be a great thing, because again you sell to end users, so don't care about what other domainers say, just listen to the end users.

•••
TBH DAN doesn't have the influx of end-users like GoDaddy.

GoDaddy buys Superbowl ads.

Can't wait for the integration.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back