Dynadot

Good alternatives to GoDaddy please?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've finally had enough of Godaddy - their support is now non-existent. They have no email support, where I am (UK) there is no 'live chat' support and they also don't answer their phone! So how am I supposed to get in touch with them? Send them a letter? A telegram? Motorcycle courier service?
They have become worse than useless - how do they expect to continue to operate if they don't provide any support?
So - can anyone please recommend a decent registrar that offers e-mail support? That aren't too expensive and that I can transfer my 200+ names to. Many thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd recommend NameCheap.com - Very prompt and professional responses to inquiries, free privacy protection, all-around low prices w/ out promos.

•••
what kind of support do you need?

•••
I use Dynadot. With 200 domains I'd check out their Bulk Pricing levels, with only $500 prepayment you can get discounts, .com domain registrations/transfers at that level are only $8.75

•••
I would like to recommend and agree with the first poster, I think Namecheap is alternative to register a domain name, I've been their customer once to purchase .me domain because they had a promo code and also their domain names have whois privacy.

•••
I've used Namespro.ca for 8 years - they have great support
they offer bulk transfers of multiple ext's and fairly good prices.

•••
Namecheap is good alternative to GoDaddy. But its not cheap as Godaddy with coupons. But better than most of the registrars in pricing.

Ps.. Namecheap is reseller of Enom, it doesnt matter but just fyi.

•••
Can also vouch for Dynadot - much better interface than GD, easy to manage domains.

I've finally had enough of Godaddy - their support is now non-existent. They have no email support, where I am (UK) there is no 'live chat' support and they also don't answer their phone!

GoDaddy are probably not complying with disability legislation - if they only communicate by phone they exclude deaf people. I would try sending them a letter recorded delivery telling them they must communicate with you by some written medium - but does anyone have a UK business address for them?

Is it one of these UK numbers they do not answer?
https://uk.godaddy.com/contact-us.aspx

Without a ticket system or email there is no paper trail - this is a path to really serious problems and makes you feel pretty unsafe being a GD customer.

•••
•••
I would say Namecheap too. The live chat works great and really fast. But it's true, Godaddy stay the cheaper registrar with coupons

•••
GoDaddy have never been a domainer friendly registrar. But I understand why domainers still use them. Because end-users only know about GoDaddy Registrar, not any others. Their superbowl ads worked wonders for their bottom line. But I feel much happier since I moved all my domains out of GoDaddy to Dynadot. The only domains I have left at GoDaddy are domains I won in their auctions and domains I've bought from other domainers. They all usually get transferred immediately the 60 day hold has lapsed, providing funds are available. Actually I used to really like the Control Panel. I always thought it was the best. Now I don't use it so much, I don't like it so much. Personally. I think they are ripe to be beaten in the marketplace by another registrar. But any registrar which challenges GoDaddy's supremacy is going to need very, very deep pockets, imho.

•••
No uniregistry users? I think I'm going to be transferring over the majority to them come the expiration(s). A registrar build by a domainer, for domainers ;) . Email their support for better pricing. They're support is awesome.

•••
I've heard from several domainers who like uniregistry. Personally, I'm a little leery of registrars owned by other domainers. I'm not yet a uniregistry user. I find their pricing a tad expensive. What can you get a .com renewal down to if you email them.

•••
Im not sure what their current rates are now...on the phone and my wifi is acting up haha. $9.17 support quoted...but i told them i wouldnt be transferring over them all. Reduced rates based on quantity. You would need to ask support for a specific quote. Honestly, the only registrar i would trust is one buily by a domainer. He has far more of a reputation to uphold in the small community.

•••
Duplicate post...oops.

A piece of advice. If you don't have a DNS account, and you want one, sign up before hand. Talk w/ support about transferring over your names, and then ask support to push through your dns account. It needs to be accepted. I waited a few days longer than I wanted, opened the conversation back up w/ support, and they pushed it through in a few hours.

Uniregistry is hungry for pissed off moniker & godaddy customers. So get while the gettin' is good ;) haha.

Last edited:
•••
I'd recommend NameCheap.com - Very prompt and professional responses to inquiries, free privacy protection, all-around low prices w/ out promos.

Namecheap will charge for privacy after a year. NameSilo provides free privacy protection for free for life. Their prices are simple. For example registration and renewals are $9 only.

I recommend NameSilo.com

•••
The best .com prices are with NameBright. But they charge $2.95 for privacy after the first year. Check them out.

Last edited:
•••
I use about 6 different registrars, depending on what I need.

Not singing the praises of GD, but I have often used their Twitter support they are quite prompt. Just look for @Godaddysupport.

•••
Dynadot is quite great as others already mentioned. Looks great, feels great, works great. And their live chat support pretty much rules.

•••
I love Uniregistry's UI. It's simple, clean and easy to use to manage portfolios. I know GD has folders, but Uni takes it to a new level with added features.

Implementing Google Apps is one of them. Easy forwarding. Implementation to Domain Name Sales... and a new one of Document.Link that lets you upload documents as a spare to keep record of transactions, what's going on with it, who you bought it from, etc. (good for some I suppose). Free privacy. Awesome and friendly support. Also like @sweetpea69 said, discounts. Don't let the initial price scare you if you have a huge portfolio.

@stub , a registrar by a domainer is exactly what we needed. A registrar designed for domainer's. Give it a try with 1 or 2 domains and you'll notice something instantly: you're never going to be up-sold, cross-sold, check 20 boxes or have to hunt for $1 coupons only to find that the renewal fees are $15 and then attempt to find renewal coupons, etc. before you get to register. I believe it's 1 click to accept ToS and then register.

•••
I can tell you a way to get chat support. Simply logout from you account. Use any VPN service like Hotspot sheild, astrill or cyberghost and set location to any US city.

Then open godaddy support page, you will see the chat button.

Logging out is necessary IMO, as it change IP so may get in problem with your account.

I am getting chat support by this way.

•••
@David Walker - How does Uniregistry compare to NameBright, another Domainer owned Registrar? Namebright gives you $8.03 pricing on .com registrations and renewals. Free privacy 1st year then $2.95, but you can arrange your privacy for free there. I did what Uniregistry suggested, and emailed them to get better prices, but they were still way too high, $8.91 for .com with free privacy. I get $8.50 at Dynadot with free privacy. I actually like the free privacy at Dynadot because it allows me to refer whois lookups to my Domains For Sale Website.

Last edited:
•••
@stub the unique features are what I'm paying for that set it apart.

Also, I can shoot them a problem and get a response back with a 5 minute ETA. I don't think NameBright would help me like that. Though if the executives set me up, I may consider them. (not getting paid to plug, love 'em, the UI is great, etc.)

•••
What price do you get for .com's?

•••
What price do you get for .com's?
Uniregistry may not be the best solution for you. Although, if you would like to discuss more; as seen in my signature, you can contact me with how many domains you have and would be willing to transfer and I will see if I can assist you (reiterating, I don't get paid [except the link is an affiliate link, not required to use and good to throw out once a domain is discounted a registration through that link would no longer be credited], but like to keep both parties privacy and to help people out).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back