NameSilo

news Google Domains using domains.google domain name for their registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Company shifts registrar landing pages to .google domain name.

Google has begun using a domain name under its .brand top level domain name, .google, for its domain name registrar.

The company announced today that you can find its registrar at domains.google.

Its original domains for the service, domains.google.com and google.com/domains, now forward to domains.google. However, once you log in, the domain name reverts to domains.google.com.

Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-1.32.59-PM.png
Coverage

Will this give boost to more .Brand domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another Google Beta project. Lack of confidence to be Alpha.

•••
Company shifts registrar landing pages to .google domain name.

Google has begun using a domain name under its .brand top level domain name, .google, for its domain name registrar.

The company announced today that you can find its registrar at domains.google.

Its original domains for the service, domains.google.com and google.com/domains, now forward to domains.google. However, once you log in, the domain name reverts to domains.google.com.

Source

Will this give boost to more .Brand domain names?

I don't think it will give the boost you think, the cheap reg fee names have been sourced out, the others are sitting with hefty registry premiums, and finally the rest are warehoused by the registries themselves for direct end user sales.

If you are looking at Keyword.Extension they are not easy to find, if you want Keyword1Keyword2.Extension sure those are readily available, but do not make sense in regards to the position of the dot.

As well there is still ? in regards to documentation of renewals, and renewal increases in regards to GTLD's, so lots of different companies with their own way of doing things, whereas .com/.net have a very steady, secure process when it comes to renewals, and price increases.

•••
Bad times for .xyz investors.

•••
All the links and pages are still hosted on google.com.
domains.google is just an initial pointer page.

•••
Bad times for .xyz investors.
That's funny. (seriously, I laughed.) I don't get xyz domains because of Google, though.

•••
•••
•••
This will help spread awareness of new .whatever extensions. How could it not? :)

•••
Indeed, but this a company using its own extension. It's a corpTLD. For most companies this isn't an option, and they aren't going to buy .xyz or .whatever just because they can't get their own TLD. See what I mean ?

•••
Indeed, but this a company using its own extension. It's a corpTLD. For most companies this isn't an option, and they aren't going to buy .xyz or .whatever just because they can't get their own TLD. See what I mean ?

I see what you're saying but Google didn't make and won't break xyz. I'm looking at this in a positive way because .google will show a huge market that .whatever exist and this can only help other right of the dot extensions. JMO, but it can't hurt that's for sure.

I guess it depends on how big they want to be in this space and how much advertising they do with domains.google.

•••
I am buying LLLL.google (chip only with no l,n,q,p,r) names, unlimited budget. PM me. Those are going to be yuuuge...

•••
I think I like xyz better, tbh.
Me too. I dont have a lot of .xyz domains but I think they are ok and will come good

•••
I am buying LLLL.google (chip only with no l,n,q,p,r) names, unlimited budget. PM me. Those are going to be yuuuge...
Sorry but you need to have a budget of $50K plus to offer such thing :D

•••
I understand that but that is not not point the OP is trying to make here.. The point is the fact that it is not .com but gntld

•••
•••
I do like how easy it is to see the availability of gtlds. Hopefully it will show more of the available extensions when its out of beta.

•••
domains.google
That's what I thought and everything else would have been unlogic.
They have their own TLD and they (will) use it.

•••
I wonder why it took them so long to do it. I mean, they are doing phones, self-driving cars, finding a cure for cancer... why did they wait so long to get into this industry and start selling domains? (I'm not surprised they are getting into it.)

•••
I wonder why it took them so long to do it. I mean, they are doing phones, self-driving cars, finding a cure for cancer... why did they wait so long to get into this industry and start selling domains? (I'm not surprised they are getting into it.)
That's the question.
Maybe they just waited for their .google TLD before they starting real.

•••
Dot Google is good for email address; and for domains selling. Other new TDN has its own purpose and direction. Remember your extension will tell your audience what kind of business you are in to.

•••
google.domains would suck a bit less

•••
google.domains would suck a bit less

It's a bit paradoxical but 'domains.google' sounds ways better than 'google.domains'.

In principle it's the same as by the TLD .top - for example:
'whatever.top' sounds better than 'top.whatever'

If a TLD itself is like a label, people will trust in it - equal the sequence is 'inverse'.
A TLD should give the domain name itself the 'stamp'.

So 'domains.google' sounds like 'domains by Google' and this 'Powered by' - 'principle' is simply what the majority like - it gives a feeling of secure.

Last edited:
•••
It's a bit paradoxical but 'domains.google' sounds ways better than 'google.domains'.

In principle it's the same as by the TLD .top - for example:
'whatever.top' sounds better than 'top.whatever'

If a TLD itself is like a label, people will trust in it - equel the sequence is 'inverse'.

it's not paradoxical.
it's just subjective.

so as I said, google.domains sucks a bit less. cheers.

•••
I think the only Google domain I want is search.google
OK, there are probably a few more. But that's my first choice. (Yes, I know it's only to be used for google.)

What domains would you claim if you could?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back