Dynadot

GreatDomains.com - Please Post Accepted and Denied Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
One of my names, PinotGrigiot.us, was recently accepted by GreatDomains.com after having several names denied. I had a small thread going about this before, but I'd like to start a larger thread where everyone can post which names they've submitted to Great Domains and the outcome. This may help us get a better understanding of how they select names.

I'll update this list as people post their names.

Accepted:
cashfactory biz
CoffeeBean biz
Droplist biz
411 cc
CocosIslands cc
codes cc
CountryClub cc
Fat CC
OnlineSchools cc
Poetry cc
Spiritual CC
AikidoClubs com
PokerPopular com
RapidBonus com
smartdieter com
brokers info
FitnessBlog net
iblogs net
MilitaryBlog net
MovieRelease net
PinotGrigio net
SupportUSA net
JustDiamonds org
hotmama org
Aging tv
BirthControl tv
comdeychannel tv
ComedyShows tv
CultClassics tv
Debates tv
Fifties tv
Forensics TV
insect tv
Joy tv
masterpiece tv
newsupdate tv
Nineties tv
pokergames tv
prehistoric tv
RealitySeries tv
spacestation tv
what tv
Bankers us
Check us
CourtRecords us
Dev us
Indian us
PhD us
PinotGrigio us

Declined:
CoffeeCompany biz
anyone cc
BalanceTransfer cc
capture cc
ComputerParts cc
default cc
driven cc
HealthandFitness cc
PokerStars cc
rates cc
tenant cc
acesong com
bestlatte com
billcop com
BiologyNotes com
CyclingBlog com
demonfairy com
ExpertElders com
hotfondue com
IRArates com
ITPrivacy com
Kidcycles com
mylatinbeat com
PokerCredits com
PokerPod com
PokerResorts com
retailblvd com
ReturningSoldiers com
RSSTrends com
SynagogueMusic com
TrainDirectory com
usdbox com
vegasgreens com
vGeek com
cellvirus info
BlogDiary net
hatchbacks net
NewDVDRelease net
SeaMap net
ShoppingBlog net
bestmobile org
boaters tv
breeders tv
classicmovie tv
Dual tv
GalleryGuide TV
InternetGambling TV
InternetPoker TV
MusicCharts tv
navigational tv
numeric tv
paname tv
PokerTip tv
robotic tv
socceram tv
tablets tv
TheHill Tv
TownCrier TV
ArtSupply us
CAK us
dietsmart us
pokerusa us
RTOS us

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
CourtRecords.us - Accepted

Cheers

•••
I've had 3 letter domains denied (In .org and .net) but had codes.cc and 411.cc and other .cc's accepted.... Somewhat bass-ackwards.
-Allan :gl:

•••
How much does GreatDomains.com charge as a selling fee, the usual 10% including escrow?

•••
accepted:
discussion.tv (not listed yet)

declined:
estudent.biz
grab.cc

•••
www.finejewelry.us ....... declined. Not sure why, because I sure will not part with it for small bucks.

•••
iblogs.net accepted but I did not list it up in the end. There seems to be no consistency as to what domains will GreatDomains accept or deny.

Flora.

•••
brokers.info accepted but I did not list it either.

•••
Accepted:

BirthControl.TV
Aging.TV
Joy.TV

Fat.CC
Spiritual.CC

SupportUSA.NET
MilitaryBlog.NET
FitnessBlog.NET
MovieRelease.NET

Rejected: 30+ Names

AmCy

•••
Hello,

Im not quite sure that Greatdomains.com is about. How long has it been in business?

It's cool to have a real professional company check out my name and accept it for quality.

What's the catch?

- Luke :)

•••
•••
•••
Heff said:
How much does GreatDomains.com charge as a selling fee, the usual 10% including escrow?

They charge just 10% flat rate of the final sale..That is their escrow fee.

Jiblob said:
Im not quite sure that Greatdomains.com is about. How long has it been in business?

It's cool to have a real professional company check out my name and accept it for quality.

What's the catch?

They have been in business since 1996, back when their parent company Verisign/Network Solutions (NetSol) was two seperate companies and NetSol had exclusive registration control of all .com's/.net's./.org's. For years, they were considered the best in the world at selling premium names (they still hold many of the sales records, albeit, places like Sedo and Afternic are changing that slowly). They are still considered very good at judging the end potential value of very good premium names, but their methods for doing so are somewhat a mystery. Like many of the members here have said, trying to figure-out why they like some names and not others is like a toss of a coin sometimes. You can even resubmit a domain months after it is rejected, just to have it accepted the next time. It almost doesn't seem logical :guilty: Many names sit there forever, and never sale...BUT, when they do sell, it is for the money we all would like to make for our names :hehe: --- So, it is worth atleast trying to get them listed there. Big corporations know about GreatDomains and its reputation, and go there when they are looking for that "niche" domain that fits their business. I have had many domains rejected, that I thought would be accepted, and still can't figure-out why they were turned down. And, I've even had the opposite. Two names I currently have listed there (buymusic.tv & migraines.tv) I thought would be turned down, but I tried for the heck-of-it, just to end-up with them accepted. GreatDomains is truelly a mystery on that one. While the names may never sale, why not list them anyway (what have I got to loose...free :laugh: ). I've had many rejected that I thought would make me the big $, and they were turned down. Others I submitted cuase I was bored and figured maybe they were drunk that day, and those were accepted (GreatDomains staff drinking on the job? If so, it was to my benifit, and I'm not complaining :hehe: ).

You asked, what's the catch? There isn't one, other than you never know what they will or will not accept and at what price (they list nothing they don't think is worth atleast $5,000). They take a flat 10%, but so do the other services. I'll give them 10% if the right buyer pays $xx,xxx for a domain found through them. The one BIG advantage over the others: If it is listed there, its a nice name (most of the time..lol). Names don't get lost in million-name databases like they do at Sedo, Afternic, or other services. It is more of an "exclusive" club, and having your name there gives it more exposure becuase it isn't a premium name just lost in the crowd of worthless ones.

:sold:

•••
Just wondering but didnt want to start a new thread. I know they ask for a phone #. Do they actually call you and also do you guys think there would be any problems if you are under 18? Could any problems arise with the age factor? Accepting payment, etc.

Thanks
Spy

•••
Gentiles.info - rejected

•••
maximum, nice post, rep added.

Spy, I never received a phone call from them. You do have to be able to sign and fax a contract that says "registrant is 18 years of age or older and is competent to assume legally binding obligations..."

I'll go through and add the names people have posted tonight. The thread is going better than I ever planned. Thanks everyone!

-Jorge

•••
RegFee :tu: TY

I, like RegFee, have never recieved a phone call either. Assume they ask incase there is a problem in WhoIs verifying your identity or ownership of the domain, or if an offer is made on it and emails fail. But, never had them call...so not sure. And, like RegFee said, you have to be 18 or older to make it a legal contract (and they do make you fax back one they email you...signed).

•••
•••
Accepted (but I didnt list it)

CocosIslands.cc

•••
List updated. Still really can't see too much of a trend. I might try contacting them and sending them a link to this thread if it gets big enough to show them how much people are interested in their listing criteria.

xabela said:
Accepted (but I didnt list it)

CocosIslands.cc

Nice name :)

•••
Another good question, is has anyone ever sold a domain with them?

All of this posturing for whats good or bad doesn't do any good if you never sell a single domain?

•••
WesternWear.TV ....rejected.

In the rejection, they did suggest that part of their criteria was:

.com .net .tv , one or two word domains, or short - as in 3 character - domains.

•••
lextalionis said:
Another good question, is has anyone ever sold a domain with them?

All of this posturing for whats good or bad doesn't do any good if you never sell a single domain?

Yes, believe it or not it does happen :p But, it is rare, compared to the other services. Given the fact, however, that when they do, its atleast for $x,xxx (if not more zeros :yell: ), its still worth the "free" listing and time it takes. ALOT of names listed, end-up sold elsewhere (often for much lower), becuase seller just doesn't want to wait forever for "right" buyer to "possibly" come by. But, if you have patients, and a moment (ok, a few) to spare, worth taking it to list and the sometimes long wait.

I believe (anyone knowing better, correct me if I am wrong), that they have had about 22 sales this year that were "public" (ie: sales price disclosed and listed on DNJournal). Alot of them are private, and final sales price not disclosed. So roughly (and this a wild guess) maybe 50 names sold this year. Doesn't sound like alot, and really is small percentage when you count the fact they currently have 912 names listed. But for those 50 or so sellers, it was well worth it to wait and then get to yell :sold: in a big way :)

If you look around here on NamePros, you'll see alot of members with names listed there selling those names to other members here for mear cents on the dollar (and even sometimes less than 1 cent to the dollar) compared to the GD asking price. It is a matter of how long you care to wait (and realizing it may or may not EVER end-up happening to begin with) for the "right" buyer", and how much (renewal reg fees) you are willing to gamble hoping that big payday comes. I, for one, am a bit of a gambler, and into the long-term investment...Results vary, but all it takes is one nice GD sale in a blue moon to make you yell :bingo:

My advice, try your names there..Free, nothing to lose. And if doesn't sell after a bit, keep it there, but list elsewhere too.

<<<<<<<<<< The "What's the big deal with GD?" in a nutshell :imho:

-------------------------------------
PS: Incase you want to stop the "long wait" :'( for me, you can make an offer on either of these fine names at GD - BuyMusic.tv or Migraines.tv :hehe:

•••
Accepted:

AbuseLine.com
FamousResorts.com
iJackpots.com
FansPage.com

Rejected:

MobileGamers.com
BikeScene.com
HandheldGaming.com
LuckyScore.com
and many many more.

avp

•••
Can a listing be withdrawn?

maximum said:
My advice, try your names there..Free, nothing to lose. And if doesn't sell after a bit, keep it there, but list elsewhere too.

-------------------------------------

Is it allowed to withdraw a listing from GreatDomains if you sell elsewhere? I think their listing agreement is usually for six months.

•••
mahadeva said:
Is it allowed to withdraw a listing from GreatDomains if you sell elsewhere? I think their listing agreement is usually for six months.
Listing agreement is 6 months. As far as I understood from reading their contract, if you sell elsewhere, GD does not get commission. They only take commisssion if the sale is through them. GD contract also allows a domain to be de-listed if 30 days notice is given.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back