IT.COM

Help escaping from 1and1

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am complete neophyte. Signed with 1and1 two weeks ago and I have been ready to leave since day 2!

There are some instructions on their faqs. But nowhere in their site is there info on the following:
  1. If you leave during your money back period, how much do they charge you for the domains?
  2. How do you make sure your domains and your account don't become hostages?
  3. If you select cancel whole package (instead of just hosting), will they just give you your money back? Or will they cancel the domains and charge you for them anyway?

Have any of the of the wise people here any good advice on how to escape from 1and1. And if you can opine on a good host for what for now will be mostly blogging, please, I will be grateful for your suggestions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you contact them to ask about their cancellation procedures? Typically, host will retain $10-20 for each domain that you received for free.

1and1 is known to be strict about its procedures, so make sure you follow them to the letter, or you may find yourself in dangerous waters needlessly.

•••
How important are these new domains to you? Since your domains are only two weeks old, you won't be able to transfer them out.

Normally, their domains are only free so long as you are hosting with them - otherwise, I would assume the normal registration rates apply - but you never know with 1&1 - there might be some surprise service fee or they might screw up your cancellation and cancel everything altogether.

There are certainly enough 1&1 horror stories out there. People who have cancelled hosting or transferred out their domains, have found themselves being autobilled a year later and if you don't pay, and happen to reside in Europe, they will even send your account to a collection agency.

If you can't find the necessary info online, contact their support and let them know as clearly as possible, that you wish to keep the domains but are not ready to start your website yet and wish to cancel the hosting... and cross your fingers....

•••
Among the many 1and1 horror stories out there, I read about people who had actually called to ask for the exact steps to cancel properly. They were referred to the faq and to the cancel site. But they often cannot do the tasks because the account gets locked right after the call.

I did call their customer disservice department, but they would not give me any information unless I gave them my customer number, which I did not.

The domain names are kind of important to me, for they really give the gist of what my site is about.
I know I cannot transfer them until 60-day mandatory period is up. I don't mind paying them up the standard $10 per domain. I just worry they will come up with a bunch of fees. Or worse yet, let me think everything is OK and then charge me a year from now. I have 20+ year history of paying on time and don't want to see it ruined by this company as some others have.

On their site, the only apparent way of breaking loose is by completely cancelling everything, but it does not indicate if there are any charges.

I appreciate your comments, and if you or anybody else, learn of any successful escape from the internet gulag, please let me know.

In the meantime, do you have any advice on good hosts for WPMU?

•••
•••
I believe you will be able to find a lot of them as well. But that should not be your target and you need to do the search for your own web hosting solution new one and better one

•••
•••
Wow, those are pretty bad. I have always advised people to stay away from godaddy, and 1and1 for the simple reason..they are TOO big!

With this approach the list might be prolonged I believe

•••
haha, you are right ServerPoint, but I typically say the big 5 to stay away from, if they are going to choose a host.

•••
haha, you are right ServerPoint, but I typically say the big 5 to stay away from, if they are going to choose a host.

There are a lot of people using their services and I suppose each of them has own point of view on this and some of them indeed find them good

•••
Never used them but surprised to see your not happy with them, sorry.

•••
I've had websites with them for over 2 years now and have had no problem what so ever, even with many support cases needed for custom hosting needs. Maybe I'm just lucky! I don't think being big in the hosting world is a bad thing

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back