Dynadot

advice HELP: Moniker renewals not working, domains locked and expiring, customer support not answering

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

devax

Impact
Hi, I got into major disaster with Moniker and would need advice what to do..

Basically Moniker renewals (both automatic and manual) have stopped completely working. I have tried to unsuccessfully renew for 20 days, total of 6 times, using 3 different credit cards (from 2 different countries), but nothing..

I always receive "Invoice" for the renewal, but nothing else: no confirmation of payment, no payment failed error message, no payment is taken from credit card, and no actual domain renewal happens. All contact and whois information matches with credit cards.

The domain has now expired, our website and emails are broken, and I don't know what to do...

I've emailed, filled support forms, called and left callback requests for dozen times, but haven't been able to make any kind contact with Moniker at all. I've tried to transfer the domains out, but just receive generic errors. I've also contacted ICANN, but they state that they don't resolve disputes like this.

What else can I do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Back in October, I received an email from moniker that said this:

Your account is currently set up for automatic payments using a
credit card. We ask that you please verify the billing address used
for the credit card on file as a security measure and to ensure
timely processing of your transactions.

As of December 1, 2014 payments attempted without verification of
the billing address will fail to process which can result in domain
expiration or service interruption. To avoid these issues, update
your account to reflect the requested information. We appreciate
your cooperation and encourage you to contact support with any
questions you may have. Thank you!

Did you verify your billing address when you got this email?

•••
Thanks for your reply. I remember that email, and I've logged on to my account and checked that the billing address is correct. I've also done verification email of the whois handle/contact, under 'WHOIS templates'

Their email didn't contain any kind of instructions of what that "verification of billing address" means.. was i supposed to do something more?? (If so, it might have been a brilliant idea to write the instructions in the email..)

•••
I think when I got this email, I logged into my moniker and information was presented immediately and I had to verify it was correct. And the message went away.

I thought this may have been your issue but seeing as how you have logged in and your info is correct, I have no idea.

Have you tried to fund your account and then process the renewals?

•••
I have, but when I try to do 'pre-payment' I receive message: "Please contact our customer support. getsupport at moniker.com". Same message if I click the PayPal link. I thought that it was related to the domain being expired -- their FAQ did have some mention about limitations how expired domains can be paid, but perhaps it's a sign that they have somehow / for some reason locked my account.

•••
Strange. Have no idea what is going on then. I would keep calling the support number until you get a human (1 (800) 688-6311). They never call back if you leave a message and they are not good about replying to tickets.

Once you get the human, do not get off of the phone until the issue is resolved. Meaning make them stay on the phone with you until it is fixed. Sadly, is very difficult to reach them.

•••
One additional thing that I did was to file complaint on their local Better Business Bureau. Moniker is registered on South East Florida's BBB, and Amazingly holds A+ rating.. There is no justice in the world.

In case anybody is interested, here is direct link that initiates online BBB complaint against Moniker:
seflorida.app.bbb.org/complaint/new/7002286

•••
I think Monkier did announce on their website that during this period, support may not be available. So best is to wait till the New Year is over which is next week

•••
I've been trying to contact them for about 10 days so well before holidays, and always when I have called i've checked their holiday closure times. That's not the problem. I'm put in the call queue, but nobody answers the phone, then after exactly 10 minutes they ask to leave contact details and hang-up.

•••
oh then it's best to shift to godaddy, uniregistry, etc

•••
But i can't.

The domains have now expired, and Moniker neither processes renewals nor allows transfers. So basically websites and emails are down and domains stuck there :(

In a hindsight I should have transferred before expiry when the renewals didn't go through.. Or actually i should have transferred already in october when there was the massive security breach after they had failed to take action even they had been warned. Or rather i should have transferred when there was the cluster f release of their new site and missing domains and overcharges in june. I guess i'm just not very smart.

•••
So now i started calling them 1 minute before they opened, and by the time i got into queue i was told that the wait time would be "over 10 minutes". And just as always after exactly 10 minutes of waiting they ask for contact details for callback and hung up, but never call back.

After being Moniker's customer for over a decade I have to say that i'm simply shocked what has happened their service.

•••
Just one other suggestion - look for any text in unfinished "jobs" or payments or renewals pages or subpages which on closer inspection is a hyperlink. I tried to apply privacy to a domain there (it's transfered out now!) and it kept failing. Finally in some weird submenu I noticed a single word was unexpectedly in bold - clicked on it and it took me to some deeply hidden page where I just clicked to confirm I really really wanted to pay for it (I thought I had already from my sub-$10 account balance wtf) and then it processed it.

I then found I had some other "unfinished jobs" like that hanging around that I did not know existed, from trying to apply privacy to other domains (all since transferred out).

That site is a maze, good luck and get out of there asap if you can.

•••
I know how frustrating this can be as I have dealt with countless problems at moniker and spent hours trying to get them resolved. Many times having the same thing happen. Wait 20 minutes on hold and then either get disconnected or get the machine.

What I have found is that it is best to contact them a few minutes after they open. Just keep trying to call. Their holiday hours indicate they are open today.

Moniker Support will be unavailable on the following dates:

• December 24, 2014: Closed at 1:00pm EST
  • December 25, 2014: Closed
  • December 26, 2014: Closed
  • December 31, 2014: Closed at 1:00pm EST
  • January 1, 2014: Closed

•••
I know how frustrating this can be as I have dealt with countless problems at moniker and spent hours trying to get them resolved. Many times having the same thing happen. Wait 20 minutes on hold and then either get disconnected or get the machine.
I need to ask, why would you keep any of your domains with Moniker? Of course I'd ask anyone the same question. All told, I do have two domains still there. But the nightmare stories continue (thankfully my transfers away have not been a problem) and by early next year I'll have zero domains at Moniker. No looking back. Also, at this point I would never, ever trust them with my financial/credit card information.

devax, I hope that somehow you can secure your domain. Get the rest out ASAP.

•••
@forge I have less than 2% of my names there. I have not found a better solution for my .de names. And really haven't had the time to worry about it.

My important names are elsewhere...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back