IT.COM

information Holiday Domains are HOT! Chinese Domainers Target Worldwide Holiday Domains

Spaceship
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
Several days ago, yuanxiao.com, which is special double pinyin holiday domains like qingming.com and yuandan.com, was traded at more than six figure fee. This domain was purchased at a price of CNY 170,000. “yuanxiao” has a lot of meaning in Chinese Pinyin, such as Lantern Festival, school, exported to, destiny and luck and so on, so it could be used by various kinds of end users. This domain was just traded last week to Tao Tao and Shen Xiaohang, who are two famous domainers in China

Holiday domains are memorable and associative and they are suitable to establish websites connected to holidays. The owner of duanwu.com is a Chinese investor and asks for a price of CNY 180,000(duanwu: Dragon Boat Festival). “chongyang (Double Ninth Festival)” “chongyang.com”(Chongyang: Double Ninth Festival) is held by a Korean. Qingming.com (Tomb-sweeping Day) and zhongqiu.com (mid-autumn festival) have already been launched for websites, One for personal mourn and another for a food company.

1225.com ”was transferred on 2015 Christmas Day. 1225.com could be associated to Christmas Day and it is pretty good for establishing a Christmas gift sales website. Besides, there is no limitation for establishing other websites for it is also a numerical domain.

The following holiday in China is Spring Festival which is also the most important day in China. According to whois query, chuxi.com/.cn/.org,chunjie.com/.cn/.net all have been registered. (Chuxi is new year eve in Chinese ancient canlender)

These traditional festival, Qixi(Chinese Valentine's Day), Chongyang(Double Ninth Festival), Laba(The Laba Rice Porridge Festival), also play a very important role. Their relative double or triple pinyin domains, qixi.com/.cn/.net, chongyang.com/.cn, laba.com/.net all have been registered.

All above could be seen, holiday domains are highly beloved in Chinese market. I believe that English holiday domains are the same, is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In the western world a name like Christmas.com or ValentinesDay.com would be the name desired, not 1225.com or 0214.com. It also comes down to how commercial the holiday is... something like President's Day or Thanksgiving is not as commercial as something like Christmas where people are buying gifts. The other downside of holidays is that they only come around once a year.

It seems the Chinese domain investing trend simply emphasizes domains for potential branding and intrinsically just for their shortness and rarity, akin to a piece of art. In the western world, it would need more practical usage potential rather than symbolic. An end-user that could actually turn the domain into a business would be the motivation to buy, not simply for rarity or a collectors' item.

•••
In the western world a name like Christmas.com or ValentinesDay.com would be the name desired, not 1225.com or 0214.com. It also comes down to how commercial the holiday is... something like President's Day or Thanksgiving is not as commercial as something like Christmas where people are buying gifts. The other downside of holidays is that they only come around once a year.

It seems the Chinese domain investing trend simply emphasizes domains for potential branding and intrinsically just for their shortness and rarity, akin to a piece of art. In the western world, it would need more practical usage potential rather than symbolic. An end-user that could actually turn the domain into a business would be the motivation to buy, not simply for rarity or a collectors' item.
Very profound points, thanking for sharing with us! For now it seems that Chinese E-commerce companies are turning all the holidays into a shopping festival. They even create festivals specially meaning something that is popular among young generations, as single's days in 11st Nov. and that may be one of the reason why more investors are buying holiday domains.

•••
Cynthia, what about English names for Chinese holidays, special occassions?

I own:

DragonBoatFestival.cn

MidAutumnFestival.cn

GoldenWeek.cn

SinglesDay.cn

And a few more

•••
and that may be t
Cynthia, what about English names for Chinese holidays, special occassions?

I own:

DragonBoatFestival.cn

MidAutumnFestival.cn

GoldenWeek.cn

SinglesDay.cn

And a few more
Hi, I think these would be favored by many Chinese investors, someone who understand English! and these are quite suitable for end-users as well in my point of view.

•••
and that may be t

Hi, I think these would be favored by many Chinese investors, someone who understand English! and these are quite suitable for end-users as well in my point of view.

Thanks Cynthia.

Know any good brokers? :D

•••
•••
•••
SinglesDayChina.com We owned it but let it drop and just saw it was bought-we felt it was too long. Never got any response from it. The Chinese version was taken as was "SinglesDay.com" .

•••
Cynthia-does Chunjiede.com work? Thank you

•••
SinglesDayChina.com We owned it but let it drop and just saw it was bought-we felt it was too long. Never got any response from it. The Chinese version was taken as was "SinglesDay.com" .

I will try again.

The name you dropped SinglesDayChina.com. is for sale at $99,999 just a few days after registration, IT IS NOT MINE.

FYI ChinaSinglesDay.com & .cn are available for registration.

•••
I will try again.

The name you dropped SinglesDayChina.com. is for sale at $99,999 just a few days after registration, IT IS NOT MINE.

FYI ChinaSinglesDay.com & .cn are available for registration.
btw That was my old listing at $99K and not a bite! Th only name of real value I think is "SinglesDay.com" and I tried to buy it a year ago-he didnt want to sell-he's in Wellesley Ma. but now I see it's under privacy.

•••
btw That was my old listing at $99K and not a bite! Th only name of real value I think is "SinglesDay.com" and I tried to buy it a year ago-he didnt want to sell-he's in Wellesley Ma. but now I see it's under privacy.

I would think SinglesDay.com would be well in to 6 figures, 7 if a couple of the big boys come, AliBaba,Taobao etc.

•••
I would think SinglesDay.com would be well in to 6 figures, 7 if a couple of the big boys come, AliBaba,Taobao etc.
Probably yes but add that "China" and it just doesn't work as well but Cynthia here has been exceptionally helpful as we work our way through this Cinese domain world-we'll see what happens!

•••
Cynthia-does Chunjiede.com work? Thank you
Hi, in my opinion, Chunjiede.com may not be preferred by Chinese. we usually put other words behind the word "de" to get complete meanings.

•••
Part of your group I believe?

Do they actively seek buyers or simply act on behalf of buyers who see/ know the names they want?
I believe they will be at your service actively.

•••
I believe they will be at your service actively.

Anyone of the brokers in particular you can recommend? PM if you prefer.

Thanks

•••
Hi, in my opinion, Chunjiede.com may not be preferred by Chinese. we usually put other words behind the word "de" to get complete meanings.
Thank you Cynthia! Also can you put "inc" (as in incorporated) behind a keyword -i know its not complete in pinyin but for Chinese/English speaking clients such as Baoxianinc.com or Lvxinginc.com would it work?

Last edited:
•••
Thank you such as Zudeche.com (rental car) we asked you about before-we may be catching on at least a little bit so thank you!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back