IT.COM

domains Geo Domain Names: Are you still registering, buying or selling?

NameSilo
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
In the vast digital landscape, establishing a distinct online presence is crucial for businesses and individuals. Domain names, the addresses that lead users to websites, play a vital role in this endeavor. Among various domain types, geo domains hold a unique position, offering a powerful connection to specific geographic locations. This comprehensive guide delves into the world of geo domains, exploring their meaning, acquisition strategies, potential benefits, and effective marketing techniques.

Read more on Robbies Blog: - Geo Domain Names: Are you still registering, buying or selling?

https://robbiesblog.com/geo-domain-names-are-you-still-registering-buying-or-selling/13061

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sell many GEO domains and paid $15K+ for one in the last few months.

Brad

•••
I sell many GEO domains and paid $15K+ for one in the last few months.

Brad

If you don't mind me asking, what's the average price you sell your geo domains at?

I have over a hundred geo domains with CITY + service.com but I am having a hard time selling them. Even with cities with population 100,000k + it's tough to sell them.

I wonder if I started outbound emails to local places I might have better luck instead of sitting on them waiting for sales.

Last edited:
•••
If you don't mind me asking, what's the average price you sell your geo domains at?

I have over a hundred geo domains with CITY + service.com but I am having a hard time selling them. Even with cities with population 100,000k + it's tough to sell them.

I wonder if I started outbound emails to local places I might have better luck instead of sitting on them waiting for sales.
It depends on the quality.

I own some major cities with real estate terms that I would want an awful lot of money for, but marginal combos I might sell for mid $XXX.

My average sale is probably like $1,500 - $3,500 range for most normal combos.

Brad

•••
Nope, too narrow and I don't do outbound. I had a few and sold some, but mostly dropped over time.

•••
'Geo domains' go beyond the article's definition of "localized" place names.

• GeoFencing users can create their own topical geographies -like Tesla cars.

• A Geotag can track any one or thing anywhere on earth in real time.

So while the best geo place-name game has been played the personalized / 'targeted' geo game is just beginning.

•••
I like geo domains and recently sold one for $X,XXX. I tried outbound outreach years ago with very little success, maybe a couple of low $XXX sales, so all recent sales were BIN purchases. Last domain took 5 years from purchase to sale so patience is needed for the right buyer to come along.

•••
I think geo domains are really good for local online search results. They match the places people search for and help businesses show up higher in those searches if they want to reach nearby customers.

•••
Ok, and what's the "news" on this post? If the people are posting questions as "news" on the "domain industry news" then what's the purpose of the "General Domain Discussion" thread?

•••
Ok, and what's the "news" on this post? If the people are posting questions as "news" on the "domain industry news" then what's the purpose of the "General Domain Discussion" thread?

Everything Robbie says is domain industry news apparently. And since the mods don't disagree...

•••
Local businesses often choose domain names that reflect the area they serve. Simply using broad, generic keywords as their business name is not very helpful if they only operate within a small geographic area, like a town or city. On the other hand, large companies in a specific business sector can use these generic keywords to precisely represent their business. These entities have the financial resources and aggressive marketing strategies to reach millions or hundreds of thousands of people across a larger geographic area. For them, having a simple, memorable keyword domain that encapsulates their business is crucial. However, small businesses working within a tight geographic limit usually opt for domain names that include generic keywords relevant to their business, combined with the name of the location they operate from, either at the beginning or end. The use of pure geo domain names is a whole new story, not to be confused with the exact match keywords, linked with geographical locations.

•••
I think the article the OP posted here allows us to post in the "news" thread, and that's why mods are ok with it.

•••
It depends on the quality.

I own some major cities with real estate terms that I would want an awful lot of money for, but marginal combos I might sell for mid $XXX.

Brad

@FredMercaldo has some cities and country names that he / his clients would probably want an awful lot of money for.

•••
•••
I know the industry refers to Geo names broadly; meaning anything from SantaClara.com to SantaClaraPlumbers.com. My specialty is pure City, Country and Regional names, although I do represent a large portfolio that contains travel and tourism, such as VisitParis.com, VisitFrance.com and others. I represent 50+++ pure cities, such as Cupertino.com, Tempe.com, DistrictOfColumbia.com, Denver.com, Sausalito.com, SanMateo.com, TheMiddleEast.com, TheUnitedStates.com and many more.

Someone mentioned patience; it took me 26 months to sell NewYork.com; then I sold it twice in a 2 month period. Never give up. Fred.

•••
Malibu.com, TheHamptons.com, Sheboygan.com.....Oakland.com, Burbank.com.....many....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back