NameSilo

How do I lease a domain?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello all. I currently have a multimedia brandable domain for sale. I currently have 2 end user prospects inquiring about this domain via email. I recently heard about leasing domains. How do I go about doing that? What numbers or percentages are adequate for this option? Is this a suitable option for an end user?

I was also considering selling the domain at a slightly cheaper price, and asking for a percentage of monthly revenue. Is this also a considerable approach? What is a good percentage to ask for? Or is this the same as leasing?

Then again, I could just sell it, but I would really like some type of monthly cash flow.

I need as much insight as possible on this subject before I respond back to them. I look forward to all your responses. Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was also considering selling the domain at a slightly cheaper price, and asking for a percentage of monthly revenue. Is this also a considerable approach?

I wouldn't ask for a monthly percentage of revenue. That puts you into a business relationship and it can be more trouble than it's worth. I also don't think anyone would really go for that.

•••
I think some people base a lease on google keyword results, if your domain matches a cost per click you may work it out on that figure

here is some discussion on the topic

http://www.DNT/long-lease-t6774.html

and

http://www.DNT/just-leased-my-first-emd-t6761.html

•••
For something that seems so easy, leasing domains is complicated. Just working out an agreement is tough, not to mention the backend if you keep control of the domain, which you really need to do. I've tried it, and it's a pain in the ass.

•••
I am an end-user. In my view, it is impractical to be paying rental fee for a domain.

Internet users bookmark their favorite domains. When you invest on quality content on your website, you allow the domain owner to earn traffic out of your hard work. Once your lease ends, the traffic will stay with the domain owner. While you are a dead goner. For this reason, leasing domains on the part of an end-user, is a bad idea.

If you agree to sell your domain for a lower price, in exchange for profit sharing of the website, naturally it would be on a limited time only, or a fixed amount of revenue. Or i can simply ignore you, since i own your domain already. I don't think any rational end-user would agree to share profit with you for eternity.

As an end-user, i also will not feel comfortable investing on content and yet i don't have complete control of the domain. The domain owner can pull the plug on the nameservers, and your website would be instantly gone. Not good.

If i'm an end-user, i'd rather buy the domain, or look for something else.

Or if i don't have the money yet, you might want to do a "lease-to-own" agreement. However, i am not sure how you can do an escrow on such installment payments that will make sure the domain owner will transfer the domain to you when you have completed all your payments.

•••
You can do a lease to own....

•••
As things come to mind:

The lease rate should be 10 times the parking revenue according a recent post of Rick.

We run an escrow service (ecop.com) where we secure all kind of transactions and despite offering a way to secure leases, it's an option that has never been used by anyone. I guess everybody like to own.

Now wthat is popular and we have a bunch running is:
rent to own = seller financing = sale with a paymment plan.
This is what you should do.

Forget about a share of revenue, it's a nightmare (because sites not only have profits but costs that are often very difficut to control) that cannot be secured .

•••
Ok. Ultimately I'm gathering that I should not lease my domain to an end user. I should simply sell it, and move on to the next venture. It also seems like leasing is only a good option for keyword domains. Not brandables. Do I have the jest of it?

•••
I secured a .com that I knew I could sell to a few hundred possible end users.

I contacted businesses that had the domain in .net, .ca...etc.

When I contacted the .biz the lady was really interested but, couldn't afford my price even after a sizable drop on my end.

So, I offered a "rent to own" deal.

She loved the idea and I just point the .com to her .biz until she has the domain paid in full.

It worked for us and I got a decent sale out of it.

•••
LOL

Chances are those 'end users' wouldn't even pay $500 to own the domain

And some here are already dreaming about JV deals where they are given a % revenue & equity

LOL!!!

Y'all can thank the geriatric Chief Carnival Barker for brainwshing the Poor, Gullible, Desperate & clueless!

:bah:

Last edited:
•••
since the 6 billion mobiles are being with-held from being online cloud yet; I fathom, premium traffic is worth not leasing to own (you have the right to stipulate) - domain forward per day !

-----------------------

consider never "selling" your best to offer considerations :)

Kind Regards,

Yelo

•••
Correction: You run an illegal "escrow" company that is NOT LEGIT

No one (except the newbies or stupid) is doing deals for over $1000 with you because your operation is **NOT LEGIT**

- NOT LICENSED for escrow services
- NOT BONDED with the proper body (eg $250,000 performance bond)
- NOT AUDITED

These are escrow.com details:
https://www.escrow.com/resources/escrow_license.asp
Where is ecop.com's???!!!

THINK ABOUT IT:
if there were no LEGAL, FINANCIAL (performance bond),OR REGULATORY barriers to entry (beyond $2000 for the website) Schilling, Marchex, Buydomains et al would have done this in no time, a long long time ago..

Do you think Schilling etc likes to waste money on escrow.com IF he could do it himself by spending chump change on a website...

BEWARE !!!

PS.
Q1/ Cardildo, how do you make money (you don't & never will) when all "escrow" under $1000 is FREE & NO ONE uses your service for transactions over $1000 ???!!! :bingo:

Q2/ Given you make NIL PROFIT from this, do you try to make money from the "float" (money temporarily in your hands) by quick speculation on "sure things" on shares/forex/futures??? :lol:

As things come to mind:

The lease rate should be 10 times the parking revenue according a recent post of Rick.

We run an escrow service (ecop.com) where we secure all kind of transactions and despite offering a way to secure leases, it's an option that has never been used by anyone. I guess everybody like to own.

Now what is popular and we have a bunch running is:
rent to own = seller financing = sale with a paymment plan.
This is what you should do.

Forget about a share of revenue, it's a nightmare (because sites not only have profits but costs that are often very difficut to control) that cannot be secured .

•••
Francois from Domaining.com owns eCop.com? I had no idea its not like he mentions it in every single post or comment he makes, and its not like he plasters the thing all over Domaining.com

Never give your card/passport details to an unlicensed source.

•••
A domain name rent is extra comprehensive then a rent on a car or an apartment building.

1.Market for such eases are not extremely lively .only imperfect information can be obtain from the major rental market.
2.Most important rental market place intended for a car on the supplementary hand the vital yardstick price is the manufacturer's optional trade price normally branded as the sticky label price and generally offered .
3.A considerable little bit of the high value sphere leases are prearranged from fist to last secret residency,added limiting public in sequence.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back