IT.COM

strategy How do you handle with hand-registered domains ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoneDeranger

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone! I'd like to discuss with you about your hand-reg'd domains.
No need to reveal your tricks or "secret methods", A general guide-lines would satisfy !

Here are some of my thoughts so far:

a. What parameters do you search before registering a domain? Keyword Searches... etc.. Can you detail more?
b. Have you ever registered a domain name based only on how it sounds?
c. If you hand-reg a domain, do you instantly put it on sale? if so, where?
d. what is your target market? end-users? resellers? both?

Thank you for the help !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

As you say, not revealing all the tricks here, but let me tell you a little bit of what I do. A very important factor for the registrations is whether there is a market for the name. If there are many companies that provide the service or sell the product the domain refers to, that is a good sign.

Yes, once you have done this for some time, you develop a gut feeling and sometimes you register names on how they sound.

A few times, I have found buyers and sold names just hours after registration.

I focus on end-users, but once in a while sell them to domain investors, usually when an end-user does not come along...

I hope that helps.

•••
Hi,

As you say, not revealing all the tricks here, but let me tell you a little bit of what I do. A very important factor for the registrations is whether there is a market for the name. If there are many companies that provide the service or sell the product the domain refers to, that is a good sign.

Yes, once you have done this for some time, you develop a gut feeling and sometimes you register names on how they sound.

I focus on end-users, but once in a while sell them to domain investors, usually when an end-user does not come along...

I hope that helps.

Yeah, that is helpful. Sharpens the image a bit more. Thanks for the comment !

•••
Hi,

I hope that helps.

Hi, my newbie radar sensed an insight here. ..

So far I only own personally hand reg. domains and I'd really like to make my first sale soon. My concern is letting them go too early at a marginal value only to find out they are / can be worth more.

In response to the thread, I'm still learning myself and excited about a few principles that still need to be researched on. Pros talk about type in traffic and the shorter and easier to spell and pronounce a domain name, the better. I find that these are quite general and honestly may lead anyone to register anything and everything with high volume search short keywords. When I started trying free appraisal services, and found that some of my hand reg (with high volume search keywords) do not have value, I started forming questions that lead to (hopefully) better progress . Right now my key step is self-talking my way out of quantity and going for quality. Oh and read read read. Hopefully not too much that I miss the boat.

•••
Use google keywords to see how many searches per month are done for your site name, find out even the broad matches. Then use namebio.com and look for past sales of similar domain names. Then you can make your decision as to sell it now/later, high/low, so on and so forth! :)

•••
If you handreg brandables keywords search is pretty much useless. Using my imagination, always pronounce the name and check acronyms. Make shure it consist of premium letters, and sound like the name of your own company. Always ask yourself, would you want to own the company with that name?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back