Domain Empire

information How is .org being used in China?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
While .com is king in China, sometimes I wonder what’s happening to .org. In the west, .org has a distinctive identity as a domain extension for non-profit organizations. In China, it is still a question mark. I’m not sure many Chinese can understand the meaning of .org with its low visibility. Translating “org” to “organization” to “non-profit organization” is probably not an easy task for most non English speakers in China.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, today I went to Baidu and did a search by entering “site:org” into the box. Surprised! I actually found a lot of pages of Chinese .org websites to browse, so definitely this extension is used in China.

One name that came up on many pages is ChinaCourt.org. As a government organization, why would they not use the gov.cn extension? They do, and the main site is Court.gov.cn, which provides links to district courts using sub-domains of ChinaCourt.org such as Bjgy.Chinacourt.org for Beijing District Court.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back