NameSilo

discuss How many actually like gTLDs or just want to make money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Why do you care about the new gTLDs?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Profit

votes
    21.0%
  • Potential

votes
    21.8%
  • Right of dot needs to change

votes
    10.1%
  • I don't care

votes
    42.9%
  • Other (please explain)

votes
    4.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

enterscope

Domain InvestmentsTop Member
Impact
I remember when I first got into domaining I would jump on every new extension thinking I would get rich, then when renewals came around I was like "ok bye bye". Maybe I could have made a fortune on some of them, but ultimately it seems like the consensus is Dot Com is King.

Don't get me wrong, I see huge potential in a shift from .com to .anything with many niche markets being adequately contained in one space. However, .com is just so engrained in everyone's brains I think the nostalgic aspect of that will be hard to change.

My personal opinion is that the new gTLDs will be too confusing in advertising and people won't necessarily know that whatever.anything is a website. Then gTLD campaigns will have to start adding www.whatever.anything which will defeat the whole purpose and people will be like "aww heck, .com".

6a00d834522c0b69e2019b02746dc7970c-pi

Do you actually think gTLDs will be standard or do you love .COM too much?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In a few years I will bump this thread just for fun and we shall see which extensions have survived the years.

No one is saying DOT COM will die or be replaced. Instead they (DOT COM and new gTLDS) will co-exist. And many big names, not just Rick Schwarz, are saying it. Read the DNjournal cover stories from early 2015, very enlightening stuff in there by the biggest domainers out there with millions in sales. All of them believe there's money to be made.

Many extensions will die or be bought out, no one argues that... but the potential for certain names such as keyword.attorney going from 0 to a value of 5k is very possible and this jump will allow many to make a killing if they find names they can get for cheap. I have acquired many great names with a $20 renewal that will easily sell for 5-10k. Already received a bunch of offers for a domain with the keyword "software" and "cruise" but I will develop many names myself, there's simply more money in development even with those ridiculous ad prices we are facing right now.

Go develop some names and you will see that new gTLD have potential, albeit small potential 0-10k and rarely 50-100k (those are indeed exceptions)

•••
In a few years I will bump this thread just for fun and we shall see which extensions have survived the years.

No one is saying DOT COM will die or be replaced. Instead they (DOT COM and new gTLDS) will co-exist. And many big names, not just Rick Schwarz, are saying it. Read the DNjournal cover stories from early 2015, very enlightening stuff in there by the biggest domainers out there with millions in sales. All of them believe there's money to be made.

Many extensions will die or be bought out, no one argues that... but the potential for certain names such as keyword.attorney going from 0 to a value of 5k is very possible and this jump will allow many to make a killing if they find names they can get for cheap. I have acquired many great names with a $20 renewal that will easily sell for 5-10k. Already received a bunch of offers for a domain with the keyword "software" and "cruise" but I will develop many names myself, there's simply more money in development even with those ridiculous ad prices we are facing right now.

Go develop some names and you will see that new gTLD have potential, albeit small potential 0-10k and rarely 50-100k (those are indeed exceptions)
Well said. Out of curiosity, your NP account is almost eight years old, have you ever done such after years bump before?

•••

Even if planning to sell I suspect developing is important, with all the ngTLDs the traffic with the name could be extremely important to closing the deal.

•••
Web development is a major factor in whether a domain name will be renewed. However it will take a few renewal cycles (years) for the value in the new gTLDs to become apparent. This means that you will read all sorts of good news stories from the fanboi blogs about big name sales but will miss the details on the hundreds of thousands of domains that will drop without notice.

I'm one of those who voted for "Other" in the poll above. This is because I study renewal trends and development trends in TLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
When .com came out in the beginning, it's legit for a company to register ****.com(pany), and later people realized that they could register . com domains without having to be a company. The same could happen with a nTLD that is more generic, unlike .flower or .sucks, no offence. Not many options left in classic TLDs after all, and surely is getting fewer and fewer.

That's interesting that you said com stands for "company". Most people believe it stands for commercial, but I recently read an article that says the intention was to create an extension for companies so it only makes sense to assume it stands for com(pany) and not com(mercial). But don't take my word for it:

Jack Haverty, an Internet pioneer at MIT, said they weren't really thinking about business when they were developing the top-level domains. "I think .COM originally was derived from "company" rather than "commercial." The .COM's weren't thought of as "businesses" in the sense of places that consumers go to buy things," he wrote in an email. Source: http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/domain-names/com-domain-names/what-does-com-mean/index.xhtml
Anyway, when DOT COMs were introduced no one invested based on numbers and stats, it was pure speculation because the numbers were too low for anyone to believe it was a viable commercial pursuit. It was educated guessing at the time, no one really knew the internet would become what it is today, something we take for granted. The early movers looked at adoption rates and in that essence you can directly compare it with Bitcoins which is why I brought it up. They built a huge industry around bitcoins and the same is happening here and everything seems to be falling in place at the moment.

One other thing we have to keep in mind is that the internet will drastically change the next 10 years. VR and voice commands are here to stay. It's still very early but we now have to start thinking about how the new extensions will be integrated into such systems to better anticipate the market.

And yes I am always thinking many years ahead. Pays better dividends if you anticipate market movements correctly.

Last edited:
•••
.com & .net were born in 1985, along with a few other TLDs.
The HTTP protocol was invented at CERN around 1990. In the next few years, websites began to appear.

Before the WWW, domain names were not valuable simply because they were not advertising tools. They were used with other protocols: E-mail, FTP, gopher... subdomains were commonplace too.

•••
Right, and most people weren't on the Internet until after 1995, and residential broadband didn't start appearing until late 90s.

.com has about 15 to 20 years of heavy use - while the ngTLDs are quite new, hence why they don't have the kind stats .com has.

In 10 years, the landscape will be quite different. It has to be, the Internet is still growing.

•••
I find discussions about what the future may bring, like this thread, interesting but not predictive. Looking at the errors in past predictions by famous people I am surprised by how strongly posters believe their beliefs about future developments are correct. Of course thats what makes a market since there has to be a buyer & a seller for each transaction.

•••
There are logical reasons why companies will choose domains that are .com - short easy to remember domain names are demonstrated to be better.

There are not logical reasons why companies will continue to only use .com - the only reasons given are "the aren't .com"

That reason becomes less and less compelling as the Internet continues to grow and good domains on dot.com continue to be held for high ransom by domainers.

It is possible ICANN will implement rules that say use it or lose it, giving more affordable supply in dot.com, but I doubt it. ICANN makes too much money from new gTLD applications to do that.

•••
Hi NP members,

there are definitely more people who try to make money with new gTLD names than people who really needs a domain name. Sure, with time more and more will need a Domain name but exactly thats the reason why more and more trying to make money with new gTLD names.

This fact will never change - producing the name of the game is not the same as producing the game of the name.

Beside many expert analysis I think that at the end the surviving part of the new gTLDs depends to the following generations.
On average, younger people, means the following generations, will be more inclined to choose a new gTLD for their projects / companies because they already growing up now with the broad palette of available extensions as a given and not as a new thing.

In a economical view it is our society that mostly human like to be individual as much as possible - so a .com or .net etc. domain name could turn fast into oldschool in near future, because the new gTLDs definitely part of a new age - an age in which the amount of websites / web wonnections / webstores will 'explode' - an age in which everyone wants to be seen in this virtualy .world - in best case on .top

;)

Last edited:
•••
New extensions are the solution.

Now we have to find the problem.

I think one of the problems is that most people want to make a profit from new gTLDs yet they don't care about them, judging from the votes in this thread: 21.1% for "Profit", second to 47.4% for "I don't care";)...

•••
I think there are profits to be made by domainers but I don't think big profits, I think those days are vanishing. The end of an era. Big profits only happen when there is limited supply.

•••
New gTLDs are really useful for peoples who is looking for good domain name which is not available in .com and also many of gTLDs are very cheap and affordable.

•••
I think there are profits to be made by domainers but I don't think big profits, I think those days are vanishing. The end of an era. Big profits only happen when there is limited supply.

I think good .COMs and ccTLDs (.DE, .RU, .SE, .CO.UK, .UK, .IT, .ES, .FR, .COM.AU etc) will still be expensive in the aftermarket, and I also think that the very best gTLDs (great keyword + TLD combinations) will be demanded.

But as you mentioned, the large quantities of TLDs will probably reduce the value of most gTLDs and some of the ccTLDs. That is already clearly seen.

•••
New extensions are the solution.

Now we have to find the problem.
Best answer! It says exactly what i couldn't express until now. Now i got ur words.

•••
It is possible ICANN will implement rules that say use it or lose it, giving more affordable supply in dot.com, but I doubt it. ICANN makes too much money from new gTLD applications to do that.
Probably less than 30% of .COM domains have active/developed websites. If ICANN was to introduce a "use it or lose it" strategy, who would define the proper usage and who would measure usage?

Regards...jmcc

•••
Hello,

I own three pieces of land, but I do not live there. Should these properties be seized by the government?

In my opinion, ICANN, or anyone else, shouldn't care a second what we do with our domains, as long we are not violating existing laws. We have paid for it and it's not North Korea.

•••
Hello,

I own three pieces of land...

I am not thinking that ICANN, or anyone else, will or can do this oneday - but if - I can use my 'unused' domain name(s) allways for parking, than the domain is used.

In doubt, at the end I can use my 'unused' domain(s) just for a blank site - a blank site counts already as content ('I am an artist whos art is / are blank site/s').

ICANN must not love websites, which are used for blank sites but it is my right to love / publish blank websites as much as I want.

;)

Last edited:
•••
You are right that it's difficult to change the nostalgia attached to .com.But somewhere there seems to be an artificially glued nostalgia and that is the handy work of influential domain investor rather than natural.And that hindrance will break as and when they will allow it to.Out and out they will make the lion's share of the profit out of the nGTLDs not small and new investors.
Here, we must keep some very prospective domains with nGTLDs for long time while concentrating on .com to make profits even if it is low; this to stay afloat in the market.
Another feeling of mine is that rather devoting our full energy and time on just domain investment, we should try our best to develop a few domains ( what ever be the TLDs) into full fledged website or blog with the support of which we can market our other domains in later stage.After all we must keep experimenting and taking some calculated risk to break open from the influential bid investors keeping in mind the nGTLDs.But don't overexpose on them.
You are right that it's difficult to change the nostalgia attached to .com.But somewhere there seems to be an artificially glued nostalgia and that is the handy work of influential domain investor rather than natural.And that hindrance will break as and when they will allow it to.Out and out they will make the lion's share of the profit out of the nGTLDs not small and new investors.
Here, we must keep some very prospective domains with nGTLDs for long time while concentrating on .com to make profits even if it is low; this to stay afloat in the market.
Another feeling of mine is that rather devoting our full energy and time on just domain investment, we should try our best to develop a few domains ( what ever be the TLDs) into full fledged website or blog with the support of which we can market our other domains in later stage.After all we must keep experimenting and taking some calculated risk to break open from the influential bid investors keeping in mind the nGTLDs.But don't overexpose on them.

•••
Night.club is definitely better and I think it is you who registered it.I have checked whois but found no information.

•••
Tom, you have told the bitter but better truth.

•••
Sorry everybody,I have detected the double pasting of reply only after 15 minutes editing time limit.

•••
I just hopped on again to this new gTLD game to make some money baby! College broke is NO joke

•••
Hello,

How do you think , is it a good idea to buy fyi domains or NNNN.zone ? Thanks

•••
Apart from current value, is "Nightclub.com" really better than "Night.club"?

I think,

night.club is clearly better, than nightclub.com. OK, if we look back, and new extensions no exist, then nighclub.com is name number one.

Now, new extensions are here, most extension is very good, some is bad, however, they are here, and it will be a new era of market domains.

Example: PragueNight.club is most strong name for capital city in my country. This is unique domain name for clubs in Prague city and for tourist who want find "night club"..

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back