IT.COM

How many new people stop hand registering in the first year domaining? I'm stopping as of today.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Super-Annuation

#Top Member
Impact
I've been domaining for almost a year now. Sold two domains that has covered half my forst year expense. I've dropped 200 (so 2k, no biggie guys) and now hold 400 with an annual cost of 4k, with the intentions of dropping down to 200, and maintaining that amount with my so called potential domains.

Anyway, I'm no longer hand registering because I've learnt, unless you pick up a future value domain like blockchain .com back in 2014 or Masternode .com back in 2015, or SecurityToken .com, it becomes very difficult to hand register anything of value.

After spending the last two weeks researching and finding what's of value, I've concluded it to be better to stick with names that are already registered ane being listed for a fair bit.

I'd rather WebDesign.com for $150,000 (worth $250,000) than 15,000 hand registered domain names. Less work, and you own something that's worth investing in.

Plus, you don't have to worry about the cost maintenance that comes with a portfolio.

Buy CityLife or FinancialAdvice or InternetCafe over hand registed names. Spend a little extra. If you go into the industry thinking you'll find a name that's worth millions, you might, but only if you spend money on the name in the first place.

Moreover, just be careful with your money (I have a bit of money and I've been frivilous, but not too frivilous) and don't expect to become wealthy from hand registered domains. If your strategy is to flip them and build your way up, by all means, but remember, quality over quantity.

God speed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
so it must be great domain

maybe you want to talk to
@ThatNameGuy

I never said it was a great domain. My point is that considering that I am relatively new to domain investing I am not new to life and the world at large.

You give me absolutely no credit whatsoever for my endeavours but if something has 482 million associated results then it matters not whether it is a great name.

It may appear on the 482 millionth page so no one will see it anyway.

Sometimes, you just can't argue something that may not have a definitive answer either way so I thank you for your time.

•••
I never said it was a great domain. My point is that considering that I am relatively new to domain investing I am not new to life and the world at large.

You give me absolutely no credit whatsoever for my endeavours but if something has 482 million associated results then it matters not whether it is a great name.

It may appear on the 482 millionth page so no one will see it anyway.

Sometimes, you just can't argue something that may not have a definitive answer either way so I thank you for your time.

did you put the search term in " quotes?

upload_2019-11-3_21-39-59.png

unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily make it a brilliant domain name
as we are not talking about a .com

and I would not handreg the .com

Last edited:
•••
No, you got me. Now I have, and it returns 3,790,00 results. Still a large number though don't you think?

I think we shall have to agree to disagree. Most of the people that I know don't ever search the internet using "quotes" so I guess the real figure is somewhere between the two figures.

If you could just humour me a while longer, but I see that you are also a musician. Perhaps, If I asked 100 different people what was the best song of the last 100 years, they might give me 100 different answers. Clearly, in my opinion, the biggest selling record in terms of how many millions were sold does not make it the best record, but merely the most financially viable proposition.

Would you, as a musician rather be rich or have a number one which makes no money?

Ah, the moral dilemma we all face.

Perhaps, in my little life I am enjoying being number one rather than being rich.

Neunundneunzig rote luftballons .com

•••
No, you got me. Now I have, and it returns 3,790,00 results. Still a large number though don't you think?

I think we shall have to agree to disagree. Most of the people that I know don't ever search the internet using "quotes" so I guess the real figure is somewhere between the two figures.

its not about how people search,
but how googles search results are meant

when you want to know how many people search an exact term
and you need that exact phrase when you from a domain out of it
then the result you are looking for
is presented to you only
when using the quotes

•••
•••
•••
I also love Electronic 80's music too. One of my favourites would be 'Vienna - Ultravox'.

•••
My view would be :

in 2019, just do not handreg anymore
(unless you have so unique and special mind which will beat 99,9999% of other people's mind)
:)

•••
My view would be :

in 2019, just do not handreg anymore
(unless you have so unique and special mind which will beat 99,9999% of other people's mind)
:)

Thanks for your good advice.

Maybe I will sell a few instead.

Are you still looking for .gold domains?

•••
Thanks for your good advice.

Maybe I will sell a few instead.

Are you still looking for .gold domains?
You you have some good one, send it in :)

•••
Is .coop just for chicken farmers or would you need to be in a co-operative? Another word that has lost the hyphen over time I supppose.
You nave to be a registered co-operative of some type. The car share I use has one as does a major credit union in our province. Even a library cooperative.
Bob

•••
Remember those who promoted Betamax over VHS? No, nor do I. They appear to have vanished.
I'm a fan of Betamax:-P At one point we had 2 in the house and they lasted forever. My lab had a dozen of them. VHS was never half as good!

•••
I haven’t sold anything in a year by choice most want a good domain for 5 cents on the dollar. I’m perfectly content waiting for an end user to want one of my names badly enough to pay full price.

•••
Everything i own is hand registered.

•••
Over half of my portfolio consists of hand registered domains, especially the nTLDs. Not good, not bad. Not a big player.

Last edited:
•••
I've been domaining for almost a year now. Sold two domains that has covered half my forst year expense. I've dropped 200 (so 2k, no biggie guys) and now hold 400 with an annual cost of 4k, with the intentions of dropping down to 200, and maintaining that amount with my so called potential domains.

Anyway, I'm no longer hand registering because I've learnt, unless you pick up a future value domain like blockchain .com back in 2014 or Masternode .com back in 2015, or SecurityToken .com, it becomes very difficult to hand register anything of value.

After spending the last two weeks researching and finding what's of value, I've concluded it to be better to stick with names that are already registered ane being listed for a fair bit.

I'd rather WebDesign.com for $150,000 (worth $250,000) than 15,000 hand registered domain names. Less work, and you own something that's worth investing in.

Plus, you don't have to worry about the cost maintenance that comes with a portfolio.

Buy CityLife or FinancialAdvice or InternetCafe over hand registed names. Spend a little extra. If you go into the industry thinking you'll find a name that's worth millions, you might, but only if you spend money on the name in the first place.

Moreover, just be careful with your money (I have a bit of money and I've been frivilous, but not too frivilous) and don't expect to become wealthy from hand registered domains. If your strategy is to flip them and build your way up, by all means, but remember, quality over quantity.

God speed.
Interesting.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back