IT.COM

advice How to detect that a domain is easy to replace?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ntmt

Top Member
Impact
The "ease of replace" is kind of domain name metric that impacts evaluating of the domain name value.
E.g. a company may select other similar domains rather than purchasing given one. But there may be such domains that have minimum possible alternatives thus are more valuable.

I assume seasoned domainers may forecast "ease of replace" before purchasing or appraisal of a domain.
But I found it tricky so looking forward for some insights how to detect possible alternatives of a given domain name from end user standpoint.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
looking forward for some insights how to detect possible alternatives of a given domain name from end user standpoint.

Hi

some alternatives might be to acquire another extension besides .com or buying the hyphenated version

if it's a two word name, then they could always add a prefix like "samsleathergoods.com" instead of paying big bucks for "leathergoods.com"

it depends on the domain in question and the variables available for lower price.

imo...

•••
Thanks for replay, @biggie !
So I assume I should check availability of similar names in .com or exact match in alternative extention to evaluate "ease of replace".

My follow up question:
Are there some class of words / word forms or whatever which makes domain hard to replace?

•••
The "ease of replace" is kind of domain name metric that impacts evaluating of the domain name value.
E.g. a company may select other similar domains rather than purchasing given one. But there may be such domains that have minimum possible alternatives thus are more valuable.

I assume seasoned domainers may forecast "ease of replace" before purchasing or appraisal of a domain.
But I found it tricky so looking forward for some insights how to detect possible alternatives of a given domain name from end user standpoint.

You are right. Ease of substituting is an underrated parameter.

Most often, the adjectives in a brand are a culprit. People will move to the next descriptive adjective rather than ponying up a lot of money. If Best, Perfect, Right or Great are unavailable, they might move to amazing, incredible, fantastic, wonderful, outstanding, superb, splendid, gorgeous etc. Even might go for an adjective that makes the brand meaningless (hugedomains.com) or hurts its value or misplace or some combo of those, as in NameCheap.com, which both chose word that hurts the value and misplaced it. And HugeDomains or NameCheap could probably have afforded a great brand, and yet were cheap and clueless to go with what they chose. No wonder many small businesses go with really bad names.

Last edited:
•••
Let us not forget that several months ago a survey on this forum found that most domain investors (whose business centers around selling short, memorable domains to businesses at a premium price) did not see any reason in paying a premium price for a portfolio domain to promote their domain business. Many use weak combinations of keyword + domains or brand or some alternative extension.

•••
This is a really important topic and thanks for starting the thread, @Ntmt. I agree with what was already written in replies by others.

I think the type of potential buyer also influences what might be considered acceptable replacements. Like a strictly local business may simply add a geographic identifier to the word and be able to hand register.

I think that in general any strictly descriptive word added to another will have many replacement possibilities, at least a few of which are acceptable replacements. But factors such as how positive, elegant, memorable and how they sound orally and look visually will make some of them better than others. And as long as there is a clear better name, that one has the potential to sell for much more. Not disputing what others have said that some users will go the cheap route, even if a somewhat better name is within their means.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
One of the more obvious ones is ending in Y can be replaced with I, ie,e,ee
As in Trainy Traini Trainie Traine Trainee

Always best to check all versions of an ending (suffix) before making a purchase

For 2 words probably over looked by many but you should check the words reversed for possible conflict or if developed

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back