IT.COM

How To Help Victims Of The Haiti Earthquake- Using "Domain Names"....Please!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I did this for Hurricane Katrina and The Virgina Tech Shootings. (So did A Couple Others Here)

Please Register one domain or more and then "Redirect It" to a legitimate Charity or direct help site.

This does Four things:

#1, Keep's the domains out of "Scammers" hands...

#2. Gets extra traffic for help for Haiti Earthquake Victims and Their Family's

#3. If you thinking about..."scamming" think twice...as if your a member here...you KNOW you will be "Found Out". (besides its just not right...Do the Right Thing Please!)

#4. Helps show the world that domainer's...are NOT scammer's...we are normal, helpful, caring people.

Here is list of domains to consider: PLEASE, come up with better ones also... if think of them. *** Try and register at least one..... BUT register both ".Com ~ .Org versions.***

AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW: (***Had 8 others, but they were already Registered***)

haitivictim.com
haitivictim.org
haitivictims.com
haitivictims.org
haitivictimfund.com
haitivictimfund.org
haitidonation.com
haitidonation.org
haitidonations.org
haitiearthquakedonation.com
haitiearthquakedonation.org
haitiearthquakedonations.org
haitidonationfund.com
haitidonationfund.org
haitiearthquakevictims.com

PLACES TO "REDIRECT TO": *** OR*** If you have an other good one in mind..use it. Make sure It is Legit!

American Red Cross:

Donate Money:

http://redcross.org

Blood Donations: *** Tell them its for Haiti***

Donating Blood | American Red Cross

Direct Rellief:

Direct Relief International: Emergency Response - Haiti Earthquake

Greater Good:

GreaterGood.org : Gifts That Give More™

Samaritan's Purse:

Samaritan's Purse | Haiti | Emergency Relief | Catastrophic Quake Hits Haiti

____

I My Self Registered These: I am changing The "redirection's now".

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
American Red Cross
American Red Cross
American Red Cross

_____

Peace To ALL! And Thanks For Helping Out Others In This World!

These People Really NEED HELP! ~~ Haiti Is the poorest Country In the Western Hemisphere!

All The Best.
Dan

BTW:

Earth Quake Update: Reported Over 100,000+ Killed...Not counting the countless hurt.

Think about it...if you happen to get a domain with some traffic....Hundreds and maybe Thousands Of Dollars Could End Up being Donated....For your investment in one or two domains $7.00 - $18.00.... Instead of you just...say just donating $20.00 bucks yourself directly to a Organization. (Leverage This)... small price to pay to help your fellow Human Beings!

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure if one can legally register a domain name with the word "Red Cross" on it. Most likely the Red Cross holds some kind of copyright on its name.

They are unlikely to do anything about it because you are redirecting the domains to their site, but if you had not registered those domain names scammers would have had it hard to do anything with them because they contain a trade mark and the red cross could have claimed those back.

•••
Thanks for the reply Malcarada...

Not worried...If they want them...they can have them anytime they want them.

I have already been contacted to sell two of the domains I registered...and not from people who where going to use them for "good"

As for "scammers"...you might want to check: People trying to make a profit off other peoples suffering...and any buyer...will most likely set up a nice little "scam" website.
_____

FROM A DOMAINER:

Great idea Dan, and thank you for the links...

I strongly encourage everyone to do this, we've all seen what happened after 911, Katrina, V-tech and others, that small percentage of domainers who have no problem profiting off a tragedy, profiting off other peoples grief, No problem dragging the Domain industry through the mud in hopes of making a buck, Let's try to nip this one in the bud..

Haiti domain, Computers Networking. Great deals on eBay!

I already reported these auctions on Ebay;

____

BTW: I thought I had: http://redcrosshaiti.com/ ~~ But I did not get it....SEE the difference??

(click on both links)

Some trying to make a profit off this HUGE Disaster...as opposed to my: http://redcrosshaiti.org/
____

I was late on this or would have had some better domains...but they were already registered. (**2 are on "ebay" right now).

You will NOTE...All the domains I registered myself...All go to the proper Red Cross page(s)

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
American Red Cross
American Red Cross
American Red Cross

Please be aware...if you donate directly to: The Red Cross...you have to make sure you tell them its Specifically For Haiti....Same thing if you "donate blood".

OR...

Your Donation will go into just their "General Fund"

Peace!

Dan

Last edited:
•••
Hi,

Looks like the "Hollywood Crowd"...is going to hold a: "Haiti Telethon"....

Unfortunately...no matter how much they get when the do these things...usally less than 25% of whats donated, actually gets to where it is needed....you know: "Overhead" ~ Administration cost" ~ "Food & Drinks" Etc....

I think the first "live aid" concert...after all was said and done. an independent firm detrermined that only like 17% of the money rasied....went to where it was suppose to help people.

"Hollywood" is like our government...when it comes to using "other peoples money"!

SO,

I made another "Domain Name" Donation:

Samaritan's Purse | Haiti | Emergency Relief | Catastrophic Earthquake Hits Haiti
http://telethonforhaiti.com
Samaritan's Purse | Haiti | Emergency Relief | Catastrophic Earthquake Hits Haiti
http://haitifundraiser.com
http://telethonforhaiti.org
http://haitiantelethon.com

Peace!
Dan

•••
Hi,

Scammers Target Haiti Disaster Funds

Scammers have wasted no time in trying to cash in on the chaos unfolding in Haiti.
As soon as the scale of the disaster on Tuesday was known, fraudsters started to register URL's.

Not all are fakes but the FBI has issued a warning for donors to be vigilant and give money to only recognized organizations like the Disasters Emergency Committee, the Red Cross and Red Crescent.

Search engine manipulation, Twitter tags and even paid search engine placement ads drive the web traffic.

There are other ways cyber criminals are exploiting the disaster, those wanting to view videos related to Haiti are prompted to download software that will compromise their web security.

According to The Register, Security researchers at the Internet Storm Centre have already logged the appearance of suspicious domains not connected to recognized charities. "We are already seeing a bunch of domains being parked in relation to the Haiti disaster, and we are going to attempt to keep an eye on them all to warn our readers of anything possibly misaligned," ISC researcher Joel Esler writes.

You can count on fraudsters to be there

The U.S Better Business Forum said:

"Whenever there is a major natural disaster, be it home or abroad, there are two things you can count on. The first is the generosity ...to donate time and money to help victims, and the second is the appearance of poorly run and in some cases fraudulent charities."

Since the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, heartless scammers have refined their methods and fine tuned their appearance. Fake sites can often appear indistinguishable from the main aid agencies.

As many as 100,000 people are feared dead, and millions more affected, by a magnitude 7.0 quake whose epicentre was located approximately 15km from Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital.

Advice for donors include:

* Rely on expert opinion when it comes to evaluating a charity.
* Be wary of claims that 100 percent of donations will assist relief victims.
* Be cautious when giving online.
* Find out if the charity has an on-the-ground presence in the impacted areas.
* Find out if the charity is providing direct aid or raising money for other groups.
* Gifts of clothing, food or other in-kind donations.

Source

_____

Best,
Dan

•••
Hi,

Ex-Convict Registers Haiti Charity Web Addresses

William P. Barrett, 01.15.10, 05:00 PM EST
Georgia man did federal prison time for bank fraud involving Atlanta Falcons players.

Two days after the Haiti earthquake, a man who served federal prison time for a fraud that enmeshed Atlanta Falcons players registered four Web addresses geared toward soliciting contributions invoking that disaster.

The man, Frederick Ray McKoy, 49, of Smyrna, Ga., claimed rights to the domain names:

DonateToHaitiNow .org, SupportHaitiNow .org, HaitiNeedsU .org and HaitiNeedsYouNow .org.

None of the Web addresses are functioning yet.

In a telephone interview Friday with Forbes, McKoy, 49, readily admitted his criminal background. But he said his Haiti-themed domain names were intended for legitimate charitable fundraising and grew out of conversations with a Haitian friend in the U.S. who has family missing after the earthquake.

However, later in the day McKoy said that in light of the inquiries by Forbes, he did not plan to use the addresses or sell them to others. "I don't want people to think I'm a crook," he said. "I know who I am."

McKoy took out the domain names amid growing concerns nationally and internationally over the possibility of fundraising fraud in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake, which likely will generate huge amounts of assistance, much of it funneled via big nonprofits such as those on the Forbes list of America's 200 Largest Charities. Hurricane Katrina in 2004 spawned thousands of bogus Web fundraising efforts. New warnings about charity fraud come from sources as diverse as the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Utah Division of Consumer Protection.

Forbes discovered McKoy's Web initiative by searching through publicly available Internet domain directories looking for new registrations containing the word Haiti.
SOURCE: FORBES.COM
_____

Best,
Dan

•••
Ugh, someone registered "HaitiDonation.com" and listed it as a Premium Domain Name on GoDaddy.

It was previously available to register.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Great idea Companyone. +rep

•••
I agree - this is a nice idea. Rep+ from me too.

I didn't register any Haiti domains but I had a couple of domains I was on the fence about renewing this month. I decided to drop them and instead donated what it would have cost to renew them to the Red Cross.

The people of Haiti need help a whole lot more than I need a couple more domain names!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Thank you again for your nice idea. I have not registered domain names for that specific purpose, but I am currently redirecting a number of religious domain names I own (and were parked) toward a reputed charity linked to the denomination the names are related to.

To be honest, the idea wouldn't have come to my mind without your post, so I added rep points for you. A simple idea, but definitely efficient if many domainers do the same with names that might be relevant.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back