Dynadot

analysis Domain Evaluation Series (Evaluation 4): CancunMexico.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Domain-Evaluation-Series4-header.png

In this series, I analyze and evaluate a random Top Domain name publicly, after getting permission from the domain asset owner at the time of the evaluation first.

Permission can be confirmed by a NamePros moderator or staff member here: Permission to evaluate publicly

The following domain name asset belonged to member @Name Trends at the time of this evaluation.

CancunMexico.com​

Asset Type:
12-Letters / 2-Words / Geo / Generic / .com / Classic Legacy gTLD (Generic Top-Level Domain)

Defining (.com):

.com is one of the first TLDs to be used on the Internet's Domain Name System; it was originally intended for commercial purposes, though there are no current restrictions limiting it to commercial entities. It was introduced in 1985 by IANA, which is responsible for the overall coordination and management of the DNS; the organization was led by Jon Postel at the time. On January 28, 1986, the entities overseeing the DNS met and restructured its makeup to correspond to 8 TLDs, including .com, the others are: .gov (government), .edu (American higher education), .mil (American military), .org (organization), .int (international, specifically NATO relations), .net (sites related to the Internet itself), .bitnet (computers on the BITNET network).[1][2]
Source

Definition of com

(Entry 1 of 2)
1comedy; comic
2comma
3commercial organization
Source

Note: That's pretty straight forward. Your asset is primarily the commercial meaning of .com, but could be spun into comedy or comic.

Defining (CancunMexico):

Cancún (Spanish pronunciation: [kaŋˈkun] pronunciation), often Cancun in English (without the accent; /kænˈkuːn/ or /kɑːn-/)[3] is a city in southeast Mexico on the northeast coast of the Yucatán Peninsula in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. It is a significant tourist destination in Mexico[4] and the seat of the municipality of Benito Juárez. The city is on the Caribbean Sea and is one of Mexico's easternmost points.
Source
In 2020, the population in Cancún was 934,189 inhabitants (50.4% men and 49.6% women). Compared to 2010, the population in Cancún increased by 37.9%.
In august 2023, international sales of Cancún were US$7.4M and a total of US$40.6M in international purchases. For this month the net trade balance of Cancún it was of -US$33.2M.
The total population of Cancún in 2020 was 934,189 inhabitants, with 49.6% woman, and 50.4% men.

The age ranges that concentrated the largest population were 25 to 29 years (95,339 inhabitants), 30 to 34 years (87,756 inhabitants), and 20 to 24 years (84,715 inhabitants). Among them they concentrated 28.7% of the total population.
In 2020, 31.9% of the population was in a situation of moderate poverty and 6.27% in extreme poverty. The vulnerable population due to social deprivation reached a 26.8%, while the vulnerable population due to income was 9.13%.
Source

The World Loves Cancun​

Quintana Roo welcomed over 17 million tourists in 2022. That's a lot of day trips and a lot of people. So who visits Cancun the most? Spain, The UK, and Canada are close contenders, but the number one spot goes to;

1. The United States - 5.6 million visitors hit the beaches of Cancun in 2022. Even in 2020, US citizens made up 34% of Cancun’s tourists.
  2. Canada - Coming in a close second is the USA's northern neighbor Canada with 1.1 million visitors in 2022. Most Canadians go to escape those famously harsh winters.
  3. Colombia -In third place, Colombia brought in 632,134 visitors in 2022. Colombians don’t need a visa to enter Mexico, but they do need tourism cards, which we’ll handle later.
  4. The UK - Across the pond, the United Kingdom was the source of 343,202 visitors. UK residents do not need a visa to tour Mexico, so these numbers will increase as the pandemic slows down.
  5. Spain - Rounding out the top five countries is Spain, with 140,553 visitors.
Source
Tourism Revenues in Mexico increased to 2022360.12 USD Thousand in October from 1726021.39 USD Thousand in September of 2023. Tourism Revenues in Mexico averaged 877819.52 USD Thousand from 1980 until 2023, reaching an all time high of 3046633.95 USD Thousand in December of 2022 and a record low of 130108.21 USD Thousand in April of 2020.
Source

CancunMexico is taken in 11 Extensions - Source
CancunMexico is a taken Username on 41+ different social platforms - Source

Note: That's pretty straight forward. Your generic-Geo is a popular tourist destination/city in Mexico. Some directions for your asset might be: 1. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A Travel and tourism affiliate platform dedicated just top Cancun tourism, hotel rentals, car rental, Tours, attractions, ticket sales, and other commission based programs for the area - or - 2. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A new SmartPhone App with maps, events, attractions, Spanish to English translator and more - or - 3. A new Restaurant brand leveraging the generic-Geo to showcase authentic dishes from the region in other parts of the world - or - 4. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A new amusement park themed like the region - or - CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A new local Pub or Bar brand with a Cancun theme - or - 5. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = Someone already using it as a Username on one of the 41+ social platforms....

Exact Match Sales data:
There's no exact match sales data for CancunMexico in any extensions.

Note: Not a deal breaker, had to look.

Sales data for Cancun + Word .com:
cancungolf.com504 USD2023-06-12GoDaddy
cancunrentals.com495 USD2020-09-14DropCatch
cancunpalace.com9997 USD2018-08-02Sedo
cancunrealestate.com5988 USD2018-04-28NameJet
cancunhotels.com120000 USD2006-01-10Moniker
cancunairport.com3500 USD2011-01-29Sedo
cancuntours.com1225 USD2008-12-19Afternic

Note: There's a few sales reports to look at in this combination to give an idea. Lets' cross-reference another combination.

Sales data for Geo + Mexico .com:
viajacentromexico.com560 USD2023-10-05DropCatch
segurosmexico.com601 USD2023-06-19GoDaddy
sancarlosmexico.com1500 USD2022-05-13GoDaddy
gulfofmexico.com14000 USD2013-08-07DIS Inc. Newsletter
oldmexico.com2500 USD2019-09-30BuyDomains

Note: There's a few sales reports in this combination as well to give another idea.

Ranking Data:

DA = 3
PA = 9
TB = 3
MT = 1
Spam Score (Dapa) = 15%
Spam Score (WSC) = 17%
OS = 21%
Age = 24 Years and 38 Days
Backlinks = 3
Referring Domains = 2
DoFollow Ratio = 67%

CancunMexico is taken in 11 Extensions
CanunMexico is a taken Username on 41+ different social platforms

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4
Source 5
Source 6
Source 7
Source 8
Source 9

Note: Your ranking data doesn't really help with added value and that 17% spam score will probably be leveraged by a good acquisitions team to devalue your asset. Your assets age might help with stacking $360 onto your assets value.

Helpful information about spam scores:

WayBackMachine:
  • Your asset resolved for the first time in 1999 as a HarGray.com sales lander
  • In 2001 your asset resolved as an Overature.com sales lander
  • In 2003 your asset forwarded to Rezrez.net
  • In 2006 your asset resolved as a parked page
  • In 2011 your asset resolved as a different parked page
  • In 2014 your asset kicked a 504 error
  • In 2016 your asset resolved as a parked page again
  • In 2018 your asset forwarded to a dotcoms.com sales lander
  • In 2020 your asset resolved as an Epik sales lander
  • In 2022 your asset resolved as a venture.com sales lander
  • In 2023 today your asset does not resolve
Source

Similar Brands:
1.png
CancunTours.com = Developed (Tourism)
CancunAirport.com = Developed (Tourism)
CancunHotels.com = Sales Lander
CancunRealEstate.com = Parked Page
CancunPalace.com = Developed (Resort)
CancunRentals.com = Parked Page
CancunGolf.com = Sales Lander
OldMexico.com = Lander
GulfOfMexico.com = Parked Page
SanCarlosMexico.com = Does not resolve
SegurosMexico.com = Parked Page
ViajacentroMexico.com = Developed (Tourism)
CancunMexico.org = Sales Lander
CancunMexico.net = Does not resolve
CancunMexico.mx = Does not resolve

Opinion:
Your ranking data doesn't really help with added value and that 17% spam score will probably be leveraged by a good acquisitions team to devalue your asset. Your assets age might help with stacking $360 onto your assets value.

All the sales reports we looked at except for 4 were still parked, landed or did not resolve, which is generally bad news, indicating resellers are having a hard time finding buyers for their generic-Geo assets. However, it was nice to see 4 real world use cases.

The hobbyist and end user values below will more than likely be an affiliate or freelancer looking to monetize with ppc, ppl, pps, etc. type campaigns. An end user may even seek a white-label partnership for a commission.

Your unicorn, in my opinion, is what I mentioned earlier:
1. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A Travel and tourism affiliate platform dedicated just top Cancun tourism, hotel rentals, car rental, Tours, attractions, ticket sales, and other commission based programs for the area

2. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A new SmartPhone App with maps, events, attractions, Spanish to English translator and more

3. A new Restaurant brand leveraging the generic-Geo to showcase authentic dishes from the region in other parts of the world

4. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A new amusement park themed like the region - or - CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = A new local Pub or Bar brand with a Cancun theme

5. CancunMexico.com = Cancun Mexico = Someone already using it as a Username on one of the 41+ social platforms....

The hard part is identifying the potential end-user, gathering more research on their specific niche, formulating a presentation, negotiating, and closing.

Your asset does have a little reseller liquidity, but you will still have to do a lot of leg-work to find the right buyer and apply the hard parts I also mentioned above, which in most cases, investors fail at.

Thoughts on yours (Domain Only) – (Dec 2023 Market):
  • Reseller = $890 to $1.7k​
  • Hobbyist = $1.8k to $3.1k​
  • End user = $3.2k to $5.9k​
  • Unicorn = $6k to $28.9k+ (With the right presentation you could exceed this.)​
Here's how I like to break it down:
  • Reseller: This is a domain investor with no intention of developing. They generally park or use a landing page of their own to resell a blank canvased domain for a profit, either to other resellers, hobbyists, or end-users. These investors hand register, pay wholesale, or aftermarket pricing to lower the risk and increase profit potential. (Smallest budget)​
  • Hobbyist: This is a domain investor with intent to develop an asset themselves to increase value and provide a means for a domain to pay it's own renewals each year, eliminating renewal overhead expenses. This type of investor tests different markets with developments until they find a sweet spot, in which they expand development, optimize monetization efforts in a few different verticals, resell domains or domains + websites with verifiable traffic/revenue/etc., monitors the aftermarket, and pushes forward into entrepreneurship. (Mid-Budget)​
  • End-user: Contrary to popular belief, this is also a domain investor (They can be independents, partners, entrepreneurs, small businesses, large corporations, non-profits, or even government agencies). They invest in a domain name asset to develop for the purpose of generating revenue or delivering an important message to an online audience/customer base. Every hour and penny they put into that domain names development is still an investment into their digital asset (property), increasing the value, and potential. Most end-users have no intention of reselling a domain asset, however, it does still happen as part of company takeovers and acquisitions. (Biggest Budget)​
  • Unicorn: This is when all the planets align in your favor to discover the perfect end-user ready to take action with little to no negotiating to build their empire, not only with your domain asset, but also for the specific end-user direction I mentioned in the evaluation above. Unicorns are not part of normal evaluations and will only appear in this breakdown when a potential unicorn category is identified.​
I hope that helps give a better idea on how I personally evaluate domain assets.

P.S. If you like my evaluation, let me know by commenting below or using the like/thanks feature. This helps encourage me to do more appraisals in the future when I have the time.

Thanks and good luck with your investments.

DISCLAIMER: For those reading this evaluation, please keep in mind that it's only for this domain name and not any variants or different combinations. It is not advised to register a bunch of variant domains based on a single domain evaluation. Each variant change may or may not decrease or eliminate value.

Value can never be determined from a single point of research or variable. It's also important to understand the potential use of a domain asset in terms of monetization and revenue structure. This gives an inside look at what such an asset may be worth in a particular niche industry.

These are quick evaluations based on my personal experience/knowledge in multiple direct and related online industries dating back to 2005, offline industries since 1996 and 40 to 90 minutes of current market research for the specific domain being evaluated. It should be noted that the most accurate evaluation can sometimes take several hours or even days of research, data compiling, comparisons, etc.

The views expressed in this evaluation are of my own, not those of namePros™.

This evaluation is not certified, nor does it constitute or reflect what a fully termed evaluation may reveal.

DO NOT use this evaluation alone as a reason to register or acquire a domain asset. Do your own due diligence and research before ever investing into anything in life.

Legal Notice: If you are dealing with a Brand asset of companies that may have been established prior to asset acquisition, you may want to consult with an IP/TM attorney in the country you reside. Most have 1 free consultation. Just to be sure, if you haven't yet.

Remember, at the end of the day, a domain name is truly only worth what a buyer and seller agree on.

Looking for more helpful articles about domain investing and reselling that I wrote over the years?
(Insight) Domain Evaluation/Appraisal Methodologies
Domain Selling Psychology - An Inside Look
Domain Investment Capital - Options
Marketing Ideas and Techniques

Thinking about branding and/or developing one of your domain assets?

Check out the namePros design contest section and design contest rules.​

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Eric for the interesting and useful analysis 👏

•••
•••
Insight request:
I would like to work on bettering these evaluations where possible and have a few questions regarding this one:

1. How accurate do you think the evaluation for CancunMexico.com was?
  2. What would you evaluate CancunMexico.com for?
  3. What parts of the evaluation do you agree with the most?
  4. What parts of the evaluation do you disagree with?
  5. Was this evaluation helpful in providing a starting point to do your own research for other domain names?
  6. What would you suggest be added to these evaluations to make them even better?
I look forward to your feedback.

Last edited:
•••
Insight request:
I would like to work on bettering these evaluations where possible and have a few questions regarding this one:

1. How accurate do you think the evaluation for CancunMexico.com was?
  2. What would you evaluate CancunMexico.com for?
  3. What parts of the evaluation do you agree with the most?
  4. What parts of the evaluation do you disagree with?
  5. Was this evaluation helpful in providing a starting point to do your own research for other domain names?
  6. What would you suggest be added to these evaluations to make them even better?
I look forward to your feedback.
1. I really don't know. I've only sold a few geos. It all comes down to what someone is prepared to pay for it and without it being sold, it's all conjecture.
2-4. Ditto.
5. Yes. The evaluation started without any assumptions, sourced types of information I hadn't considered before and was comprehensive.
6. Perhaps, in this instance, any sales for comparable non-Mexican CityCountry domains? When tourists choose their trip location, many choose between similar places in different countries.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back