NameSilo

question How to tell if a (dictionary) word is trademarked?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
Hi!

I noticed there are different companies using non-generic "brand" words in their domains, like celsius.com the drink and celsius.network the crypto coin. You can find that Celsius is a trademark belonging to the drink company, the TM description says 'The mark consists of the word "CELSIUS" in stylized form', so it appears that the trademark is not the word but its writing in a specific font since you can find a lot of "Celsius" trademarks from different companies in the database.

I have a cool dictionary word I want to reg in some gTLDs but there's a trademark for it, and that trademark in the database does not specify that the TM is a word in stylized form, although it contains a pic of the word in a specific font. The target industry of my planned domains is far different from the TM industry. How can I tell it's safe to reg? I'm sure experienced domainers come across this issue a lot.

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Trademarking a dictionary word doesn't grant the trademark for 'everything'

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back