Dynadot

advice GoDaddy broker asked me for a ballpark figure for my domain (15 years old.)

NameSilo
Watch

SniperDan

Impact
I have had a domain for almost 15 years. Right now I use it for email for a business. But I could easily switch to something else. Originally I bought it to flip, but I got busy with other things.

The domain is two letters, followed by a four letter word, ".com". A similar domain was sold for $3500 (same two letters, 4 letter word.com). The dot net and dot org got registered by someone yesterday. One was registered by GoDaddy, and the other by a different domain company.

There was a rapper with this name 10 years ago who disappeared from the scene. There is a sea creature of this name which I just found out about. When you take the letters and the word together it sounds like something in the sex industry. I can't find anything else about the domain which makes it remarkable.

What should I ask from the broker? I was going to mention that I'm using it for the business but I could switch to another domain quite easily if I got the right offer, and tell him to go back to the client. I could mention that I saw the net and org were registered yesterday and ask to confirm that was the client. It makes their interest apparent.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, all of us reading your post will likely think/say the same thing. Without knowing the name, any numbers would be pure guesses.

I'm sitting here waiting for a download to finish...if you DM me the name, I'll let you know what I think.

ADD: download complete...sorry, not able to look at now.

Last edited:
•••
It's like:
I have a car with 4 wheels. The color is blue. The same car with 4 wheels sold for $8,000 but the color is red.
There is a celebrity driving the same car as mine.
I like to use the car but I can switch to another car. How much can I sell my car for?

•••
I could mention that I saw the net and org were registered yesterday and ask to confirm that was the client. It makes their interest apparent.
No, don't do that
I was going to mention that I'm using it for the business but I could switch to another domain quite easily if I got the right offer, and tell him to go back to the client.
Do it but not in this way

Keep it very generic. IMO you are pricing low, I would start off at $50k.

"Hey there, thanks for reaching out, it's not for sale but could be for the right price. I would consider a price of $50k (net after any commissions), anything less is not worthy of my time. Thanks for your time.

•••
No, don't do that

"Hey there, thanks for reaching out, it's not for sale but could be for the right price. I would consider a price of $50k (net after any commissions), anything less is not worthy of my time. Thanks for your time.
50k is a lot of money. I wonder if that would just scare them off.

•••
They reached out to you about a very specific name, they already bought the org/net etc. 50k isn't that much in grand scheme of things. Worst case, the agent tell you not interested and you can offer a lower price next week or so. You have something they don't and can't get anywhere else.
YMMV though, just what i would do in this scenario. If it makes you feel a little better, think of it as you're holding 10,000 domains, paying 100k in renewals every year, one got a query.. now you're trying to break even.

Last edited:
•••
They reached out to you about a very specific name, they already bought the org/net etc. 50k isn't that much in grand scheme of things. Worst case, the agent tell you not interested and you can offer a lower price next week or so. You have something they don't and can't get anywhere else.
YMMV though, just what i would do in this scenario. If it makes you feel a little better, think of it as you're holding 10,000 domains, paying 100k in renewals every year, one got a query.. now you're trying to break even.
Makes sense. I will reach out to them with a big offer.

•••
If you know the client then check how much they are worth and sales earnings. Then price the domain accordingly. Or check the domain in the Godaddy appraisal tool and multiply that price by 10x. You can then negotiate a sale price from that point. Broker may read this post.

•••
No, don't do that

this is the kind of advice that will make you lose sale, no idea what the name is and yet buddy said slap 50k on it 🤣
You have something they don't and can't get anywhere else.
and you know this just from the description? I have a feeling you are probably one of those who slaps unreasonable numbers on mid to low tier domain then turn and say there is decline in sale.
Man things I see on namepros 🤣

•••
this is the kind of advice that will make you lose sale, no idea what the name is and yet buddy said slap 50k on it 🤣

and you know this just from the description? I have a feeling you are probably one of those who slaps unreasonable numbers on mid to low tier domain then turn and say there is decline in sale.
Man things I see on namepros 🤣
Understandable, but there's high indication of a good lead here. Usually not everyone hires an agent, and the times that I've dealt with Sedo agents, most sales have been in XX,XXX range easily. I'm assuming the agent also works on commission, get's a cut of the price so it's in their incentive to get a big price first, so they have room to go up with the client. If seller quotes a small price, they can't really take it up from there with the client. The agent/seller can easily bring the price down later, but you can't take the price up. And since OP indicated they bought the other extensions (or someone did), it's likely that the name is irreplaceable for then.

Totally YMMV though. I don't sell much, but I don't complain either, as I know my ROI for time and money and as long as it's positive, I'm good. Id rather sell 1 domain in xx,xxx range than 10 domains in x,xxx range

Last edited:
•••
You've identified this is a contrived domain, So No general appeal apart from 'It sounds like something from the sex industry' In these sort of instances, I wouldn't try to overplay my hand. There's no point in trying to build it up into something super-special just because an agent has contacted you. However the registration of the .net and .org within 24 hours of the contact make the contact more interesting.
I would play this one on a fairly straight-bat with the Godaddy broker. There's nothing wrong with letting the broker know what's come to light, It's not going to change the potential buyers position But, it may well help the broker disclose the buyers maximum early.

Be professional in your response wording, stick to the facts, Start it off with "I have become aware ............ or something similar Don't over word your response. now ask for the potential buyers Maximum Offer.
PUT the ball firmly back in Godaddys court.

PS just as an aside, A famous Rapper has just had a 10year Court conviction over turned.
i believe for murder. be quite a co-incidence if this was the client but, stranger things have happened

Last edited:
•••
Keep it simple. Just say that you're already using the domain so they would have to make a really good offer for you to consider selling. Don't mention any numbers at this point.

•••
15 years and the .org/.net were registered just yesterday. So probably not a hotcake.

Let the broker make you an offer then go from there.

•••
The dot net and dot org got registered by someone yesterday. One was registered by GoDaddy, and the other by a different domain company.
something must be going on with the name. I cannot imagine a company using two different registrars on the same day to register the same name with different extensions (unless that registrar doesn't support an extension but GD supports net and org obviously).

Google the term, maybe something is in the news about it?

I would suggest you try to sell because interest rarely happens for domains. I am sure you made sure its a real GoDaddy email. If it's not, expect to be told to get an appraisal and be told to signup at some strange escrow company.

Good luck, make some money, do better things.

•••
Ask the broker what is the buyers offer. They are trying to pigeon hole you into a price. The broker works for them not you.

•••
So, at this point, your next step is to let the broker know that you are, and have been, using the name for business. Let him/her know you could be persuaded to sell, but you must first have an offer on the table before you spend any more time considering the options.

Do not mention the other extensions being registered. When the time comes and you have determined your asking price, tell the broker that is what you expect to be paid...and that sales expenses, including commission, is to be paid by the buyer.

He/She may go dark for a while but that is okay...time is always on the sellers side when approached in this manner. Now is too soon to throw a number out (without an initial offer) unless you need cash and you have done DEEP research on the name and you are sure of its value.

•••
Ask him what they're offering. Then continue your day and forget about it.

If genuine, you'll get a number or a range.

Don't waste much time ( read money ) on vague enquiries.

•••
Don't waste much time ( read money ) on vague enquiries.

Fair do's branding but this is hardly a vague enquiry. Someone pays for godaddy's brokerage service, .Net and .Org registered within a 24 pre enquiry period (on different registries) Couple of identified potential leads by the holder.

I would quite happily spend a few hours on this one. It's a little mystery quite worth solving.
To me it reads as domain recently in play. This is the intrigue and fun in domains.
SOLVE the clues = Dollar enhancements in most instances. Stay ignorant = money left on the table.

I agree with you on get the first Offer from the Broker. I actually like it when a broker is reluctant to make an initial offer. Quite often that means it has not even been decided between the broker and client as yet. Then it's down to me to talk it up. But only at the right time and if necessary.

Last edited:
•••
Fair do's branding but this is hardly a vague enquiry. Someone pays for godaddy's brokerage service, .Net and .Org registered within a 24 pre enquiry period (on different registries) Couple of identified potential leads by the holder.

I would quite happily spend a few hours on this one. It's a little mystery quite worth solving.
To me it reads as domain recently in play. This is the intrigue and fun in domains.
SOLVE the clues = Dollar enhancements in most instances. Stay ignorant = money left on the table.

I agree with you on get the first Offer from the Broker. I actually like it when a broker is reluctant to make an initial offer. Quite often that means it has not even been decided between the broker and client as yet. That means it's down to me to talk it up. But only at the right time and if necessary

I agree. However, if someone feels inclined to pay a broker to establish contact, they better have a number in mind. Mind you, GD brokers are quite cheap. Any 'clueless' business owner can afford that.

Its also about personal preference I guess. I dont entertain mind games. With me, you either state a number or ask for a range and we can take it from there.

I dont think the .net and .org getting registered is something to take into consideration.

They're worthless (for the sake of the argument) for brand protection. To me it indicates someone would be quite happy to run their business on a .net .org > low funds to spend.

Them being registered at 2 different registrars is interesting but might just as well indicate you're dealing with a tirekicker.

Circling back, worth to investigate but I wouldn't want to lose much sleep over it until there's an offer/range on the table.

•••
Just ask the broker for the buyer's budget range. Let him know you use the name in commerce, and unless the buyer makes an attractive offer first, you're not interested in setting up a new business email.

•••
Lol, asking for budget range, he will give you the lowest band on the upper side and double the floor price :D

•••
Lol, asking for budget range, he will give you the lowest band on the upper side and double the floor price :D
Then you let him know he's wasting your time (nicely) and move on. You already told him you're not inclined to sell unless the offer makes setting up a new business email worthwhile.

•••
Tree fiddy without knowing the domain name itself.

It sounds like it's not that appealing

So I would open with 3,999 and go from there

Most domains sell for 2599. (Stats historical). So yeah.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back