Dynadot

ICANN to Test Non-English Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This worries me the most:
Yahoo! News said:
In fact, some aren't waiting. China already has set up its own ".com" in Chinese within its borders. Such efforts risk fracturing the Internet, such that the same address could reach two different sites depending on a user's location.

:o

-Steve

Last edited:
•••
stscac said:
This worries me the most:

:o

-Steve

I agree with you Steve, all we can do is hope and pray that this does not crash the new world economic (internet)
Elie

•••
NamingJournal.com said:
I agree with you Steve, all we can do is hope and pray that this does not crash the new world economic (internet)
Elie

This could be the end of the open internet as we know it!!!

•••
faisj said:
NamingJournal.com said:
Elie

This could be the end of the open internet as we know it!!!
But not to fret.

ICANN will fix all of this

:|

-Steve

•••
china is great, is there anything they can't immitate...lol

•••
Yahoo said:
In fact, some aren't waiting. China already has set up its own ".com" in Chinese within its borders. Such efforts risk fracturing the Internet, such that the same address could reach two different sites depending on a user's location.
I thought that that was dubbed fake not too long ago?

•••
AndyM3 said:
I thought that that was dubbed fake not too long ago?
Nah, its not *fake*....there's a very interesting and informative thread on another forum on this subject...not sure if am allowed to post the link here but you should know where to look !

•••
What effect will this have on current IDN owners?

With ICANN trialing international characters in domain names, I wonder what impact it will have on current IDN and their owners? I know we have a number of members here who have a large stake in internationalized domain names and it appears to me that this could harm the potential value of those names.

Thanks,
Kimmy

•••
The story about China fracturing the internet and introducing their own .com equivalent is not true. What happened, as I understand it, was that China created subdomains like .mil.cn and others off of its root. With China's global economy, splitting themselves from the rest of the world would be disasterous.

These ICANN tests are routine before the official rollout. There really is nothing bad in the announcement for current IDN owners. What they will be testing is DNAME, which will introduce .IDN into the mix - allowing other languages to type "com" in their language while mapping to the English .com. The alternative is creating dozens of "new" extensions that are the equivalent of .com (but in other languages). That scenario would probably take years to develop and rollout. Very unlikely to happen.

•••
thefabfive said:
The story about China fracturing the internet and introducing their own .com equivalent is not true. What happened, as I understand it, was that China created subdomains like .mil.cn and others off of its root. With China's global economy, splitting themselves from the rest of the world would be disasterous.

These ICANN tests are routine before the official rollout. There really is nothing bad in the announcement for current IDN owners. What they will be testing is DNAME, which will introduce .IDN into the mix - allowing other languages to type "com" in their language while mapping to the English .com. The alternative is creating dozens of "new" extensions that are the equivalent of .com (but in other languages). That scenario would probably take years to develop and rollout. Very unlikely to happen.
It is true.... .com and .cn will compete against .idn in China until ICANN does something or it just may very well stay this way. ICANN might have to introduce another .idn in china to run alongside it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back