Dynadot

discuss Domain names can deceive your eyes, so be cautious and double-check when visiting websites.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DDD.COM

Upgraded Member
DDD.COM
Impact
In general, each domain name is a unique entity that cannot be duplicated. Therefore, when a company uses a specific domain name, there should be no mistakes. However, many illegal websites take advantage of "similar domain names" to confuse users. Inexperienced users find it difficult to distinguish between genuine and fake websites, which leads to deception and users accessing counterfeit websites.

So, what are some confusing domain names or letters?

The lowercase letter "l" and the number "1" can be difficult to distinguish in certain fonts. In the enlarged image below (300 font size), it may still be distinguishable, but in the standard font size we use on our computers (usually 16), with most details hidden, can you still differentiate them? At this point, the domain names you see are identical, but they have no relation whatsoever.

DDD2023122001.png

Of course, for aesthetic or other reasons, most browsers and computer systems default to the "Arial" font series, where it is indeed easy to differentiate the number "1" and the letter "l." But what about the uppercase letter "I" and the lowercase letter "l"?

DDD2023122002.png

Some may argue that such mistakes are easy to distinguish. Moreover, most of the time, when displaying domain names, the letter "i" is deliberately used in lowercase rather than uppercase, for example: iCloud, iPhone, iPad... Well, please take a look at the following domain name:

аpple.com. Is this the domain name of Apple Inc.?
Yes/no

The answer is: NO.

This is not Apple's official domain name! If you copy it → аpple.com and paste it into the browser, you will find that it is not Apple's website.

DDD2023122003.png

Why is this? Because "а" is not the letter "a" at all; it is a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet. Although domain name registration does not allow the use of special characters, it does not restrict the use of certain language characters from other countries, such as Arabic, Cyrillic, Hebrew, and other non-Latin characters. Therefore, sometimes characters from other languages may have the same appearance as common English letters but completely different content.

So, when you encounter an unfamiliar domain name in an unfamiliar environment, it is advisable to carefully discern it before proceeding to the next step. It is best not to directly copy and paste, but to manually type it in. This way, you can avoid accessing domain names of fake websites that look similar but are completely unrelated or even contain viruses.

Do you have any further additions to make on this topic?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why is this? Because "а" is not the letter "a" at all; it is a letter in the Cyrillic alphabet. Although domain name registration does not allow the use of special characters, it does not restrict the use of certain language characters from other countries, such as Arabic, Cyrillic, Hebrew, and other non-Latin characters. Therefore, sometimes characters from other languages may have the same appearance as common English letters but completely different content.

This is why mixed-script IDNs are not allowed in many TLDs and I think .com is one of them since the pаypal.com (xn--pypal-4ve.com) incident in 2005.

When I check xn--pple-43d.com, some registrars show it as taken and some as free, but I haven't tried registering it.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDN_homograph_attack

Last edited:
•••
This is why mixed-script IDNs are not allowed in many TLDs and I think .com is one of them since the pаypal.com (xn--pypal-4ve.com) incident in 2005.

When I check xn--pple-43d.com, some registrars show it as taken and some as free, but I haven't tried registering it.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDN_homograph_attack
Thank you for enabling me to further expand my knowledge in this area.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back