Dynadot

A lack of creativity in domain name creation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Adrigan

Established Member
Impact
It seems to me that there is a lack of creativity in domain name creation.

I sense that there is a fixation/obsession with keywords so that the domain will appeal to Google, a private company that is an effective monopoly and seems to do whatever it likes. Remember when Google were upstarts and said “Don’t be evil” - well, they have become what they once despised.
This happens with many challengers to the status quo, in that once they begin to grow, they can soon become the status quo and act in ways that they used to criticize/despise others. Apple is another such company, and as much as I like their products (except their poor Mail program), approaching $3 trillion in revenue hampers your ability to being a challenger, an innovator, fresh.
Perhaps if Steve and Jony were still there, Apple could still have those attributes.

But I digress.

I haven’t ever focused on creating domains based on keywords. It just seems that the keyword space is so overcrowded that getting noticed becomes harder and harder over time. I also don’t really understand this space, having not explored it and I also take exception to being at the mercy of the evil G, who behave as judge, jury & executioner, to say the least of their antics.

Looking at the some of the recently created internet companies (last 15 years or so), there are many two word company names made up of dictionary words, but a good number are names that are not real words and their names are just made up.
This is the area I have focused on for the past 10+ years and I have been surprised at how many names have been available that I have come up with. Over the last few years, I have added over 200 names to my portfolio and I am coming up with name ideas all the time. Although not all my name ideas become names I register.

I don’t expect many of my names to appeal to lots of people or that they will sell for eyebrow raising amounts. But like all seller/buyer scenarios, it only takes one person to like a name I have created and like it enough to want to buy it. Given the population of internet users, which is always growing and that useful domain names are becoming increasingly rarer, I think that won’t be hard to achieve.

I usually come up with names by something I see or hear, sometimes swapping letters around or adding 1-2 letters, sometimes replacing letters. I have also “discovered” names, serendipitously, by making typos when I’ve been typing something, like an email or a url. It is surprising to me how often this happens and I am stopped in my working flow. I pause for a while and think about what is on the screen. Sometimes, its nothing or really just junk, but sometimes it looks and sounds great to me.

Usually, I need to like how the domain sounds and if it passes the “radio test”. I also have to be able to see what market the name might address or appeal to and whether that market is immature/mature and/or overcrowded and/or populated by upstarts. Domain names are very low cost, but if you register many iffy names or names with fringe appeal, the costs add up.
I check the visitor figures for each of my domains as they are coming up for renewal and take a decision on whether to renew or let them expire. I don’t let many go.

I tend to focus on 5-8 letter domains (4 letter domains are almost all taken up, the worthwhile ones that is, but I don’t spend any time searching just for these), but I might go beyond 8 letters if the name sounds very good to me.

I do have some domains that are real words, including people’s names, but this is less than 5% of my portfolio.

If you have approached domain name creation in ways other than by using keywords, perhaps you’d like to share your method or comment on mine.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
apologise duplicate post

Last edited:
•••
I have rethought my earlier answer about coming back to re-examine the list and explain what may be deemed 'Creative' You can pick the bones out of the concept but you can never fully dissect it.

Lets start with the major flaws for many when applied to Western values, that of education, culture, language, concepts, precepts . You can't escape them. One of the early lessons of working in merchandising was understanding what doesn't work. I never had to go there in display building purely because I could visualise the conflicts or negative elements. Am I looking for contrast and depth, Blend and transformation. Flow and direction.

Unlike art, your never working with a totally blank piece of canvas. Your word toolbox is massive but individual components sit in relationship with each other. Not dissimilar to a musical instrument. The skills are certainly transferrable.

Personal backgrounds are a key element in most conceptual ideals and models. My good fortune was starting off as a college trained French chef before moving into Sales and then marketing and merchandising. I love creativity but you have to learn how to rule-out 99% of ideas from the beginning. Possibly move 1% to paper for refinement (That refinement stage is the real work)

I get quite a lot of ideas from other peoples, what I would call shots-in-the-dark, great idea totally unrefined.
There are billions of people on Earth. Unique ideas, especially good ones, are rather rare.

Most ideas are going to be influenced by a number of other factors, but are generally derivative in some way.

A lot of creative people don't like to admit that, but nothing really happens in a vacuum.

Anyone can come up with a unique idea or brand, but it is normally unique for a reason...because it is bad.

Brad

•••
Here is an example of how creativity works, with only a decent brand.

Let's take a domain I own like Bark Avenue. It's clearly a pun of "Park Avenue".

I am sure everyone who came up with that brand name thinks they are creative.

However, the term is taken in 161 .COM alone with the words together. It starts 135 .COM.

It is used in the name of almost 200 companies around the world.

So, even decent terms tend to have serious usage. Terms that don't have usage are normally that way for a reason.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Nice domain @bmugford

So, the essential question now is: does creativity equals uniqueness?

This is a question only AI can solve.

The question of whether creativity equals uniqueness is an intriguing one. Let’s delve into it:
  1. Creativity:
    • Creativity involves the ability to generate novel ideas, solutions, or expressions. It’s the spark that ignites innovation and drives artistic endeavors.
    • When you’re creative, you engage in thinking that transcends the ordinary, leading to fresh perspectives and original concepts.
  2. Uniqueness:
    • Uniqueness refers to something being one of a kind, distinct, or unparalleled.
    • A unique creation stands out from the crowd, defying conventions and leaving an indelible mark.
  3. The Intersection:
    • Creativity and uniqueness intersect but are not synonymous.
    • Creativity can lead to uniqueness, but not all creative ideas or works are inherently unique.
    • Uniqueness often emerges when creative ideas are executed in a way that sets them apart from existing norms.
  4. Value:
    • When you’re creative, the outcome holds value for someone—whether it’s a piece of art, a technological innovation, or a novel solution.
    • Uniqueness adds value by capturing attention, sparking curiosity, and leaving a lasting impression.
  5. Examples:
    • A unique painting may emerge from a creative artist’s vision, blending colors and forms in an unprecedented way.
    • A creative marketing campaign can be unique if it breaks away from clichés and resonates with the audience.
  6. Conclusion:
    • While creativity and uniqueness are intertwined, they don’t always go hand in hand.
    • Being creative doesn’t automatically guarantee uniqueness, but it opens the door to exploration and the possibility of creating something truly exceptional.
In the end, perhaps it’s the pursuit of creativity that fuels the quest for uniqueness—a journey where imagination meets originality.

Last edited:
•••
Nice domain @bmugford

So, the essential question now is: does creativity equals uniqueness?

This is a question only AI can solve.

The question of whether creativity equals uniqueness is an intriguing one. Let’s delve into it:
  1. Creativity:
    • Creativity involves the ability to generate novel ideas, solutions, or expressions. It’s the spark that ignites innovation and drives artistic endeavors.
    • When you’re creative, you engage in thinking that transcends the ordinary, leading to fresh perspectives and original concepts.
  2. Uniqueness:
    • Uniqueness refers to something being one of a kind, distinct, or unparalleled.
    • A unique creation stands out from the crowd, defying conventions and leaving an indelible mark.
  3. The Intersection:
    • Creativity and uniqueness intersect but are not synonymous.
    • Creativity can lead to uniqueness, but not all creative ideas or works are inherently unique.
    • Uniqueness often emerges when creative ideas are executed in a way that sets them apart from existing norms.
  4. Value:
    • When you’re creative, the outcome holds value for someone—whether it’s a piece of art, a technological innovation, or a novel solution.
    • Uniqueness adds value by capturing attention, sparking curiosity, and leaving a lasting impression.
  5. Examples:
    • A unique painting may emerge from a creative artist’s vision, blending colors and forms in an unprecedented way.
    • A creative marketing campaign can be unique if it breaks away from clichés and resonates with the audience.
  6. Conclusion:
    • While creativity and uniqueness are intertwined, they don’t always go hand in hand.
    • Being creative doesn’t automatically guarantee uniqueness, but it opens the door to exploration and the possibility of creating something truly exceptional.
In the end, perhaps it’s the pursuit of creativity that fuels the quest for uniqueness—a journey where imagination meets originality.
I think being creative tends to work when you have (at least some) good ideas.

I am all for thinking outside the box, but what is the use in being creative if you only come up with bad ideas? :ROFL:

There is room to be creative while also conforming to reality. For instance, with domains it is easier to go where demand is than try to chase "creative" domains that have no demand.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am all for thinking outside the box, but what is the use in being creative if you only come up with bad ideas? :ROFL:
Fortunately, that doesn't happen on this forum :xf.grin:

•••
Fortunately, that doesn't happen on this forum :xf.grin:
Some of the creativity I have seen people talk about is not all that creative to me.

I saw something, so I registered some domain. Is that really creative?

I think in other fields like art, design, music, etc. creativity is more of an asset.

Sure, domains are all one of a kind. However, with domains there are several factors that separate the wheat from the chaff. It's not that hard to use metrics to determine what type of domains will get interest.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You've reached me on an emotional level -- which is a good thing.

•••
Anytime I come up with a creative name idea that I think is great I already know that someone somewhere has already thought of it and the .com is taken.

You simply cannot underestimate the collective creativity of 8 billion people over decades of time.

And, reversely, if you buy/register a good creative name, don't buy the BS that they need the brandable marketplace presentation to sell: probably someone will come up with the same and check it out (as long as it has good commercial application).

Just an example from the top of my head: during the mask-wearing era of the recent past, I thought it would be nice if the masks were not so bland and boring and carried some nice aroma (maybe even with aromatherapy). So I checked out aromask.com and, of course, whom I am kidding, registered since 2000.

Fast forward few years, and when I saw the name in the closeouts (how it even made it there?!) on days, I just snatched it. One of those names that are just nice business in a box.

Last edited:
•••
•••
t seems to me that there is a lack of creativity in domain name creation.

I sense that there is a fixation/obsession with keywords so that the domain will appeal to Google, a private company that is an effective monopoly and seems to do whatever it likes. Remember when Google were upstarts and said “Don’t be evil” - well, they have become what they once despised.
This happens with many challengers to the status quo, in that once they begin to grow, they can soon become the status quo and act in ways that they used to criticize/despise others. Apple is another such company, and as much as I like their products (except their poor Mail program), approaching $3 trillion in revenue hampers your ability to being a challenger, an innovator, fresh.
Perhaps if Steve and Jony were still there, Apple could still have those attributes.

But I digress.

I haven’t ever focused on creating domains based on keywords. It just seems that the keyword space is so overcrowded that getting noticed becomes harder and harder over time. I also don’t really understand this space, having not explored it and I also take exception to being at the mercy of the evil G, who behave as judge, jury & executioner, to say the least of their antics.

Looking at the some of the recently created internet companies (last 15 years or so), there are many two word company names made up of dictionary words, but a good number are names that are not real words and their names are just made up.
This is the area I have focused on for the past 10+ years and I have been surprised at how many names have been available that I have come up with. Over the last few years, I have added over 200 names to my portfolio and I am coming up with name ideas all the time. Although not all my name ideas become names I register.

I don’t expect many of my names to appeal to lots of people or that they will sell for eyebrow raising amounts. But like all seller/buyer scenarios, it only takes one person to like a name I have created and like it enough to want to buy it. Given the population of internet users, which is always growing and that useful domain names are becoming increasingly rarer, I think that won’t be hard to achieve.

I usually come up with names by something I see or hear, sometimes swapping letters around or adding 1-2 letters, sometimes replacing letters. I have also “discovered” names, serendipitously, by making typos when I’ve been typing something, like an email or a url. It is surprising to me how often this happens and I am stopped in my working flow. I pause for a while and think about what is on the screen. Sometimes, its nothing or really just junk, but sometimes it looks and sounds great to me.

Usually, I need to like how the domain sounds and if it passes the “radio test”. I also have to be able to see what market the name might address or appeal to and whether that market is immature/mature and/or overcrowded and/or populated by upstarts. Domain names are very low cost, but if you register many iffy names or names with fringe appeal, the costs add up.
I check the visitor figures for each of my domains as they are coming up for renewal and take a decision on whether to renew or let them expire. I don’t let many go.

I tend to focus on 5-8 letter domains (4 letter domains are almost all taken up, the worthwhile ones that is, but I don’t spend any time searching just for these), but I might go beyond 8 letters if the name sounds very good to me.

I do have some domains that are real words, including people’s names, but this is less than 5% of my portfolio.

If you have approached domain name creation in ways other than by using keywords, perhaps you’d like to share your method or comment on mine.
Your approach to domain name creation is refreshingly creative! It's intriguing how you find inspiration in everyday observations, typos, and linguistic experimentation rather than relying solely on keyword optimization. Your emphasis on memorable names that pass the "radio test" and have market potential demonstrates a thoughtful approach to domain investment. Thanks for sharing your unique method!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back