Impact
I think .info would be great for IT/IS companies. For example:

Adept.info - Adept Information Systems
Berserk.info - Berserk Info, LLC
Uber.info - Uber Info Systems
Serengeti.info - Serengeti Info Corp
Johor.info - Johor Info Inc.
WestSide.info - WestSide Infosys

Makes perfect sense to me. Even works for the last three, which are place names. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
westside.info i can see many uses for that name.

•••
Hi,
.info is a perfect tld especially for static as well as interactive information providing or media websites. For business and trade '.com' may be the best but frankly, what do you think what’s the perfect name for a news portal 'CurrentAffairs.com' or 'CurrentAffairs.info' ? or how do you see 'AsianMarkets.com' and 'AsianMarkets.info' for an Asian business news portal ?
In fact '.com' has gone deep rooted into our cyber perception and instincts. Unconsciously, when we think about 'internet' we also think about '.com' that's why many '.coms' were sold for undue or beyond prudence prices.
We all know that tlds are going through a historical process where rules, regulations and other procedural matters are being formulated and settled. Even we can see that global leaders are discussing the ‘Control’ of ICANN (which means the control of TLDs).
In this scenario we can see writing on the wall that under newly framed international laws TLD market would not be the same as it is now. Actually it had been foreseen by the ICANN at least 5 years back. That's why they tried to defer the fate of their control by starting 'At-Large Membership'. Sadly ICANN has terribly been failed to utilize its 'At-Large' arm to create a common feeling of ‘Participation’ amongst all stake holders around the world.
By above citing I want to clear my point & vision of TLD market that in about 2 - 3 years, there would be new international laws formulated under the control of UN about Registries, Registrars, Resellers and Registrants. That would be the time when .info and .biz would get their due value in TLD market.
With due apology to all NP members, majority of them don't give a sh*t to .info or .biz domains and think that '.com' is and shall remain the sacred son of ICANN or TLD market. What if (who knows!!) under international laws ‘.biz’ is declared the exclusive and prime TLD for business websites ? What would happen to ‘.com’ holders ??
In fact right now, effectively, TLD market is 'For the USA, By the USA and Of the USA'... so all those who have got good .info and .biz names.... have to wait and pay renewal fee for coming 2 - 3 years more.
Regards.

•••
I think .info is super for informational sites. No...it will not beat a .com ever for default traffic. Short generics do have value though. I would much rather have a generic domain like HealthPlans.info than the available alternatives in .com like maybe somecompanyhealthplans.com. Especially for voice advertising and shortness of email addresses. A huge insurance company would probably rather use their branded name, but a small agent could build a huge internet business on a premium generic like this.

INFO will be successful when used for purposes in which there are more than just a few big players as my example above. Search engines are also making having .com less important. However, it's important to know that .com will bring 4-5 figures when a info may bring 2-4. Too many people get greedy and pass good profitable sales because they are looking for the .com lottery ticket, instead of bread and butter type repetetive sales.

•••
Zulfi & AdoptableDomains - great posts!

Finally some sense from domainers.

I'm sick and tired of "great name but doesn't work with .info" attitude posted by clueless people everyday on DN forums.

IMO .info is THE BEST extension possible - it works with all names and phrases.

Geez, even abstraction.info works. :) You can say something (give INFOrmation) about everything there is.

•••
Originally posted by Tehno.org
I'm sick and tired of "great name but doesn't work with .info" attitude posted by clueless people everyday on DN forums.

I like the .info a lot, and the reson I made this post is to point out out that there is another use for .info aside from providing information. However, there are indeed a lot of names that "doesn't work with .info." Just as charities are out of place in a .com, and a big multinational would be laughed at if it used a .org -> each tld has its perceived usages.

IMO .info is THE BEST extension possible - it works with all names and phrases.

Again, I like .info, specially since I can still get great keyword names today. Most of my domains are .info. But honestly, I don't think any tld will ever top .com.

•••
Yes, still there are very nice keywords available in .info & .biz tlds. But again, as I referred that '.com' had been grasped by us even before the spread of internet & '.com' tld.
In 'DOS days 'command' files had .com ext. which always were given more importance, further 'com' is also used as abbrev. for 'company' as well as 'commerce'... thus '.com' was already in our minds before it was launched so it's popularity was obvious.
Then, delay in launch of new tlds gave '.com' unreasonably longer time to spread and capture maximum market, unduly.
Majority of the websites had developed before the launch of new tlds which made it impossible for online community to switch to new tlds. Keeping all this in mind, we can say that .info shall take (may be) 3 - 5 years to create its due share in market.

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by armstrong
I like the .info a lot, and the reson I made this post is to point out out that there is another use for .info aside from providing information.

Of course there is, you're right. After all when everything else fails one can always put definition of the term on .info frontpage and link to .com or .org site. :)

Originally posted by armstrong Again, I like .info, specially since I can still get great keyword names today. Most of my domains are .info. But honestly, I don't think any tld will ever top .com. [/B]

Probably not. But then again I believe the topic here isn't ".info vs. .com". All we need is more developed .infos and more documented sales (and the second is already in the process).

IMHO, the future for .info is bright. But, time will tell. :?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back