IT.COM

Is Afternic Worth It?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TUFKATH

Account Closed
Impact
I don't know if this has been posted before or not and if it has, I am truely sorry.

Is Afternic worth the $20?

I have a few domains and a couple can sell for a few hundred to maybe a few thousand. Is it for me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. If there is a good business between buyers and sellers at Afternic, they would not charge you for yearly membership fee! I had a very bad experience with them many years ago since the time when present owners bought the name and business from the original Afternic. The fact that they refused to accept old Afternic members and requested new membership fees was quite indicative for the "professionalism" and business ethics of present owners. I do not visit that site at all.

•••
I dont know but I cant sell anything I Afternic.com is it just me?

•••
Thanks for the info i was wondering that aswell.

•••
I joined this past summer. I've sold 1 domain for $250 and made $10 back in commission from someone joining through my domain. I have nothing bad to say about them

•••
I've only had great experiences with Afternic- sold just as many on there as on Sedo- definitely recommend to double your sales. $20 is trivial when compared with just one sale.

•••
scrsteven said:
I've only had great experiences with Afternic- sold just as many on there as on Sedo- definitely recommend to double your sales. $20 is trivial when compared with just one sale.
I can only agree. If your domains are worth anything, then you shouldn't worry about paying $20 for a whole year.

BTW, here are some fairly recent threads that may interest you:
is afternic worth $20?
Sedo versus Afternic

•••
Absolutely, YES! I've sold many mid-$xxx domains on Afternic. The $20 fee is meaningless if you have good names.

•••
The $60 minimum commision is horrible though!

•••
Taylor Hewitt said:
The $60 minimum commision is horrible though!

I think it's very reasonable. Where else can you spend $60 in advertising to get a $600 sale (pure profit)? Not to mention, you don't pay unless you make the sale. I'd pay $60 a hundred times a day for that kind of profit. Just be sure to increase the asking price of your domain by the amount you expect to have to pay in commission.

Last edited:
•••
What happens if I want to sell a domain for exactly 60 dollars?

•••
Taylor Hewitt said:

List it at $120, or don't list it on Afternic at all. List your cheap domains on Afternic Bazaar where there is no commission taken.

•••
Thanks Gene. You've been very helpful!

•••
I'll be frank: If your names are worth $xxx or more (I don't mean you THINK they are, but if they could really fetch a high selling price ie 3 letter .coms) then go for it. But otherwise, it's not worth a penny. I had a name they appraised between $1,100 - $7,200 and listing it for scrap change, I couldn't get an offer. Even their listing upgrades are a waste. Sure, you'll hear from ppl who like Afternic but that's just 1 percent. The other 99% of domainers know better--Afternic isn't worth any membership fee. At all.

•••
Archangel said:
Sure, you'll hear from ppl who like Afternic but that's just 1 percent. The other 99% of domainers know better--Afternic isn't worth any membership fee. At all.
And you got this statistic where? Sorry, but you're way off base here. I regularly sell domains on Afternic as do many others who have quality names to offer. If you're not selling, you don't have names of value or they haven't been listed long enough.

•••
Gene said:
Taylor Hewitt said:

List it at $120, or don't list it on Afternic at all. List your cheap domains on Afternic Bazaar where there is no commission taken.

You also get like 10 free bazaar bucks which can be used to list a domain and make it featured. I listed WeblogRSS.com and it sold quickly for way more than I expected.

-Jorge

•••
Everyone has their own opinion remember that.

•••
I joined today based on the posts I saw here :)

•••
•••
In the Afternic Bazaar, you can sell your names in a "declining price" Auction. So you start your name at (say) $$$, and every hour the price declines until it hits your stop price. When someone decides to buy, the auction ends.

•••
Remember, Afternic has an affiliate program, so if anyone who posts about it convinces you to sign up and you want to repay them, just shoot them a pm asking for their referral link.

•••
Today I learn a good lesson about Afternic throuh this post. Thanks All of YOu

•••
I've been a member at afternic for a year now,They do offer good services,Friendly tech support when needed,There have been nice enduser sales there here of late,I have made a few sales there.Overall it's a great site imo,Worth the 19.99 fee,They have a nice selection of names to purchase in the bazaar aswell.

•••
Worth it

Gene said:
And you got this statistic where? Sorry, but you're way off base here. I regularly sell domains on Afternic as do many others who have quality names to offer. If you're not selling, you don't have names of value or they haven't been listed long enough.

I agree with Gene 100%. All you have to do is sell 1 domain a year for roughly $150, and you made up the Afternci $20, plus what you paid to register the domain, and the $60 fee. After that, all sales are profit. Hey, you just have to think ahead.... ok, they charge $60... so I will list it for $200, or $300, $500, whatever!

Frank :'(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back