IT.COM

advice Is anyone an expert on digit domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TUMERR

Established Member
Impact
I have a question if anyone knows about numeric fields..

Thank you very much in advance..

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore expert on digit domains, but I'll try to answer, what is it?

Never bought or sold a digit only domain, but I know they're speculative among Asian buyers, in ways that I don't quite understand. Some have significant meaning, others don't

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore expert on digit domains, but I'll try to answer, what is it?

Never bought or sold a digit only domain, but I know they're speculative among Asian buyers, in ways that I don't quite understand. Some have significant meaning, others don't

What should the investor price be for such a domain name 8N748.com?

Also, do you think it makes sense to invest in such a domain name?

•••

It doesn't worth anything because it's a combination of letters and numbers, thing that is valuable only up to 3 characters domains, made some exceptions.
If it had been just a 5 numbers domain it would have been worth about 100-150 dollars at least.

Last edited:
•••

@Kasti is right, its trash. If you are to deal in numbers only, at least make them appealing

Rather than 8/N/7/4/8, if you had 8/4/8...now that's a good one. If you are to mix letters and numbers, short only, such as 8/N...different league. Short and nice, or symmetrical and sexy. IMO

Last edited:
•••
It doesn't worth anything because it's a combination of letters and numbers, thing that is valuable only up to 3 characters domains, made some exceptions.
If it had been just a 5 numbers domain it would have been worth about 100-150 dollars at least.

N stands for any number, not a letter

•••
@Kasti is right, its trash. If you are to deal in numbers only, at least make them appealing

Rather than 8/N/7/4/8, if you had 8/4/8...now that's a good one. If you are to mix letters and numbers, short only, such as 8/N...different league. Short and nice, or symmetrical and sexy. IMO

•••
A buyer looking at it doesn't care what you say it stands for, unfortunately

•••
Oh I see.
So most likely you don't want to tell what is the exact domain you are aiming for. That's okay...
I'd say that 88748, 87748 and 84748 have greater value than the rest. The reasons are:
88748: Lot of 8s.
87748: two 7s and two 8s. 7 is not an 8 but still it's a good number. And it makes things balanced.
84748: it's palindrome. Probably the one with higher potential.
Honestly I am not that expert to know the prices by heart, at this level of detail. I could make some research about it but it would be a bit too much time-consuming and it doesn't really worth it imo because from what I remember there is a lot of randomness in 5N sales.

PS: Just gave made a quick research and I'd say 84748 is worth about 500 dollars, judging from last years. 87478.com sold for 5k in 2015 but 5N domains seem to have become cheaper over the years, so on the other side you have 97879.com going away for 600.

Last edited:
•••
Oh I see.
So most likely you don't want to tell what is the exact domain you are aiming for. That's okay...
I'd say that 88748, 87748 and 84748 have greater value than the rest. The reasons are:
88748: Lot of 8s.
87748: two 7s and two 8s. 7 is not an 8 but still it's a good number. And it makes things balanced.
84748: it's palindrome. Probably the one with higher potential.
Honestly I am not that expert to know the prices by heart, at this level of detail. I could make some research about it but it would be a bit too much time-consuming and it doesn't really worth it imo because from what I remember there is a lot of randomness in 5N sales.
82748.com is for such a domain.

What should the investor price be?

Also, does it make sense to invest in such a domain name?

•••

8/2/7/4/8 COM - Nah
8/2/7/4 COM - Better

Random 5 numbers...tough. An easier time with 4 numbers. Then again, if you had 4/4/4/4/4 in "COM", very different

Last edited:
•••

Since 5N domains have a minimum value of 100-150 dollars (all of them have already been taken), everything comes to down to the price you have to spend to get it. If you plan to buy it at minimum reseller price (100-150) to sell it at higher price in future I wouldn't suggest that. 5N domains seem to have become cheaper over the years. Value is going down. I also had done some statistical calculations myself and I don't think it's a good investment in terms of finding an end user who buys it.

Last edited:
•••
Good evening.

Now, bad news first. If you are not Asian/Chinese or understand the Asian/Chinese culture or how they have an affinity to certain numbers, then please do not try to make money from numeric domains. It is likely that you will lose money until you fully understand what makes a combination of numbers more popular than another. They seem to like 8 but not 4 which some say is unlucky as when it is said aloud it is similar for the word 'death'.

If you're a Chef and understand food and cooking and ingredients and nutrition and calories etc then I'd suggest that is your niche, something that you know about and you would more than likely have a better chance than most who do not fully understand this niche.

Domaining is hard at the best of times and the more that you can do to put the odds in your favour the better.

Learn much and learn fast. The more effort you put in the greater the rewards and you will lose less money. That is all that we hope for.

Good luck on your journey and welcome to NamePros.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
Since 5N domains have a minimum value of 100-150 dollars (all of them have already been taken), everything comes to down to the price you have to spend to get it. If you plan to buy it at minimum reseller price (100-150) to sell it at higher price in future I wouldn't suggest that. 5N domains seem to have become cheaper over the years. Value is going down. I also had done some statistical calculations myself and I don't think it's a good investment in terms of finding an end user who buys it.

@redstagg
Do you think it will be worth less over the years?

What do you think is the reason for this decrease?

The transition to a digital world is accelerating.

We know that China is better in this process.
Frankly, that's why I thought number domains made sense.

Could I be wrong?

Last edited:
•••
Do you think it will be worth less over the years?

What do you think is the reason for this decrease?

The transition to a digital world is accelerating.

We know that China is better in this process.
Frankly, that's why I thought number domains made sense.

Could I be wrong?
You have valid points but I can just see that, over the years, prices have been going down.
It's not just that, I feel like time ago they rushed these 5N acquisitions hoping to replicate 4L's success, but simply demand was not enough for just numbers...

5N and 4L domains have a not too far reseller minimum price so let's compare them...
5N domains have 100k combinations because 10^5=100k, 4L have about 450k combinations because 26^4 =~450k. I understand the collection purpose and the concept of rarity, but how many end users are interested in getting number domains? Hard to say, but certainly not 1 out of 4.5 that would balance things up. It will be most likely 1 out of 100, at the very least.

Last edited:
•••
If you want to make money with number domains, you will have to take a deep dive into Chinese numerology.

In Chinese, there's a language system called Pinyin that gives meaning to each number according to their pronunciation, thus different strings of numbers can be interpreted as sentences.

As far as I know, their original purpose was for Chinese people to find a way to exprime themselves freely without worrying about the restraints of their government, so number domains surged in popularity. Since then, numerological names have become mainstream, and many Chinese companies set out to acquire some for themselves.

Here are some combinations:

• 514 in Mandarin sounds like "我要死" (pinyin: wǒ yào sǐ; lit. 'I want to die').
  • 167 in Cantonese sounds like "一碌𨳍" (Cantonese Yale: yāt lūk chat), which is a vulgar way of saying "a dick".
  • 168 sounds like "一路發" (pinyin: yī lù fā; Cantonese Yale: yāt louh faat) meaning "fortune all the way".
  • 5354 in Cantonese sounds like "唔生唔死" (Cantonese Yale: m̀ sāang m̀ séi) meaning "not alive not dead", referring to being in a miserable state like one is almost dead.
  • 7456 in Mandarin sounds like "氣死我了" (pinyin: qì sǐ wǒ le) meaning "to make me angry" or "to piss me off".
  • 9413 sounds like "九死一生" (pinyin: jiǔ sǐ yī shēng; Cantonese Yale: gáu séi yāt sāang; lit. 'nine die one live') meaning 90% chance of being dead and only 10% chance of being alive, or survived such situations (a narrow escape).
  • 1314 sounds like "一生一世" (pinyin: yīshēngyīshì; Cantonese Yale: yāt sāng yāt sai; lit. 'one life one lifetime') meaning "forever" and is often used romantically.
  • 520 in Mandarin sounds similar to "我愛你" (pinyin: wǒ ài nǐ; lit. 'I love you').
  • 5201314 in Mandarin sounds like "我愛你一生一世" (pinyin: wǒ ài nǐ yīshēngyīshì; lit. 'I love you a lifetime').
  • 48: Any 3 digit number that ends with 48 sounds like "wealthy for X lifetimes", for example, 748 sounds like "七世發" (pinyin: qī shì fā) meaning "wealthy for 7 lifetimes".
  • 448 sounds like "死先發" (pinyin: sǐ xiān fā) meaning "wealthy on death".
  • 548 in Cantonese sounds like "唔洗發"(Cantonese Yale: m̀ sái faat) meaning "no need to be wealthy".
  • 748 in Mandarin sounds like "去死吧" (pinyin: qù sǐ ba; lit. 'go die').
  • 518 in Mandarin sounds like "我要發" (pinyin: wǒ yào fā) which means "I am going to prosper".
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerology

Edit: I'm not an expert, I'm just very curious :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
If you want to make money with number domains, you will have to take a deep dive into Chinese numerology.

In Chinese, there's a language system called Pinyin that gives meaning to each number according to their pronunciation, thus different strings of numbers can be interpreted as sentences.

As far as I know, their original purpose was for Chinese people to find a way to exprime themselves freely without worrying about the restraints of their government, so number domains surged in popularity. Since then, numerological names have become mainstream, and many Chinese companies set out to acquire some for themselves.

Here are some combinations:

• 514 in Mandarin sounds like "我要死" (pinyin: wǒ yào sǐ; lit. 'I want to die').
  • 167 in Cantonese sounds like "一碌𨳍" (Cantonese Yale: yāt lūk chat), which is a vulgar way of saying "a dick".
  • 168 sounds like "一路發" (pinyin: yī lù fā; Cantonese Yaleyāt louh faat) meaning "fortune all the way".
  • 5354 in Cantonese sounds like "唔生唔死" (Cantonese Yale: m̀ sāang m̀ séi) meaning "not alive not dead", referring to being in a miserable state like one is almost dead.
  • 7456 in Mandarin sounds like "氣死我了" (pinyin: qì sǐ wǒ le) meaning "to make me angry" or "to piss me off".
  • 9413 sounds like "九死一生" (pinyin: jiǔ sǐ yī shēng; Cantonese Yale: gáu séi yāt sāang; lit. 'nine die one live') meaning 90% chance of being dead and only 10% chance of being alive, or survived such situations (a narrow escape).
  • 1314 sounds like "一生一世" (pinyin: yīshēngyīshì; Cantonese Yale: yāt sāng yāt sai; lit. 'one life one lifetime') meaning "forever" and is often used romantically.
  • 520 in Mandarin sounds similar to "我愛你" (pinyin: wǒ ài nǐ; lit. 'I love you').
  • 5201314 in Mandarin sounds like "我愛你一生一世" (pinyin: wǒ ài nǐ yīshēngyīshì; lit. 'I love you a lifetime').
  • 48: Any 3 digit number that ends with 48 sounds like "wealthy for X lifetimes", for example, 748 sounds like "七世發" (pinyin: qī shì fā) meaning "wealthy for 7 lifetimes".
  • 448 sounds like "死先發" (pinyin: sǐ xiān fā) meaning "wealthy on death".
  • 548 in Cantonese sounds like "唔洗發"(Cantonese Yale: m̀ sái faat) meaning "no need to be wealthy".
  • 748 in Mandarin sounds like "去死吧" (pinyin: qù sǐ ba; lit. 'go die').
  • 518 in Mandarin sounds like "我要發" (pinyin: wǒ yào fā) which means "I am going to prosper".
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerology

Edit: I'm not an expert, I'm just very curious :xf.smile:

Thank you very much for the information you provided.

Accordingly, we can say that the number 4 does not have a negative meaning in this combination.

748 in Mandarin sounds like "去死吧" (pinyin: qù sǐ ba; lit. 'go die')

8/2/7/4/8

•••
@DuDD created an informative thread on numbers

•••
Don't pay much attention to old-fashioned problems with number 4. There is a reason why the giant Chinese marketplace is 4.cn ... so unlucky (sarcasm).
As a matter of fact, 48 or 84 are really good combos. Do these make good investments for dealing with resellers? No, it's terrible and a waste of time. You are welcome :)
P.S. I've bought and sold $xx,xxx on digit domains, but I wish I had invested somewhere else... you will be nickle and dimed and I have zero patience for that ;)

•••
I just register Patent Numbers
Like the ouija Board Patent Number
446054.com Ouija Patent Number

YEE YOU WE WHO BE TO YOURS

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back