NameSilo

Is Bido completely dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There was not much action there even last year, but this year it appears to be completely deserted?

I think I sold three mediocre domains there last year, but this year none, even with better quality domains.

I recently listed a flight package of 3 'state + flights' .com domains for a bargain price with a starting bid of $38 but no takers.

Has anyone else been able to sell anything on Bido this year?

I'm thinking I might as well stop listing there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know what it is about "flight" domains. Because they've always been a hard sell. You see reasonable ones on GoDaddy which don't get any bids and just expire.

•••
Pretty much dead. They had 21 sales last month, 17 so far this month, most of them are $38 sales. They get a small percentage of that, 10%, I don't see how they're profitable. If those 21 sales were at $38, 10% would be about $80. Awhile back, they somehow needed to get better domains up for auction.

•••
I don't know what it is about "flight" domains. Because they've always been a hard sell. You see reasonable ones on GoDaddy which don't get any bids and just expire.

I've had some luck with endusers lately.:) I guess I could try with those domains too.

They get a small percentage of that, 10%, I don't see how they're profitable. If those 21 sales were at $38, 10% would be about $80.

It's a pity, really, as I like their auction site and everything. But I agree, with those figures it would not be viable for them to maintain the business much longer. As pointed out by others elsewhere, the D2D market seems to be dead in the water, and I guess Bido was completely reliant on that.

•••
Bido should not stop their operation in 2010 or so. At that time they were doing just fine, and I had a sale there almost every day. Lately I very rare list domains at Bido. They are still ok for .com domains (solid ones) which you didnt manage to sell to endusers but are not as good as uded to be.

•••
Ugh when I think of bido I think of missed opportunity for them

Great domain
Awesome idea

Horrible execution :(

•••

I talked to the top guy at one of the major travel sites last year as I was gonna add another white label to my network on a pretty killer .com flight domain and he told me not much commission on air fare, hotels is where the $ is.

Last edited:
•••
I'd completely forgotten about Bido. Last time I looked, about six months ago, there wasn't much action. It doesn't look much different today. Thanks for reminding me though.

If things pick up, I might give it a go, especially if it's very cheap (or free) to list and I can set reserves.

•••
That's a pity.
I really love Bido screen, but some weeks ago, I can not sell any domain at here.

•••
Bido has always catered to domainers. So it has become a place where domainers, including newbies, offload their junk. Of course that has a repulsive effect: when there is so much crap listed people are wary of listing their better domains. And if you have good domains, you want qualified exposure. On Sedo or Afternic there are end users buying domains for their next business venture. The odds of finding an end user at Bido are probably not very high.

Now that the D2D market has crashed, that also reflects on Bido as well. TBH I have never been truly convinced that Bido was adding much more value than the sales sections that already exist on domain forums.

Regardless of their merits, the market is flooded with domains and cannot absorb all the supply. Not every domain deserves to sell after all.

•••
Bido made what should be a simple process (like eBay) a convoluted mess. Earn points, vote for inclusion, pay to be listed early. They super-gamified it all, where all I want to do is list a domain.

And the frame within frame with infinite scrolling was horrible to use, for me anyway.

I mentioned eBay, not just because they get it right, but there's a reason why eBay dominates their niche - it's a business where people would rather just go to one place to do their business.

I'd love it if there was only one place where all domains were traded. It would greatly increase sales to end users. And it would save me a lot of time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back