Dynadot

Is Domain Flipping dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When getting into this I initially wanted to go into developing domains,and I still do, but I'd love to get into domain flipping until I learn enough knowledge to be a developer.

But I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on domain flipping in 2012.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends. Define domain flipping.

•••
I've sold a lot more domains this year than last year(my first year). Mostly low to mid xxx but I'm getting better in my decision making on domains. It's good for me to make $ on the side.

•••
I've sold a lot more domains this year than last year(my first year). Mostly low to mid xxx but I'm getting better in my decision making on domains. It's good for me to make $ on the side.

flipping bought domains or hand regs?

•••
That's what Im wondering is how does one go about flipping domains in that price range of $xxx, I'd love to get good at this and be consistent. I see a member on here, Federer? I think is his name kicking ass at it.

•••
flipping bought domains or hand regs?

Hand regs, or regs off the drops, or closeouts. I have been doing better this year so far. But it's still not enough to make a living by any means.

I do this on the side for now. It's more like a hobby to me, but it's definitely possible to make a good living doing this if you do it right.

•••
"Is Domain Flipping dead?"
Far from it. As you've noticed it CAN and IS being done successfully. That's not to say everyone will have success, I'm sure you will be in the minority if you are able to turn a profit after considering your costs such as initial purchase price, registration, renewals, etc, let alone the amount of time you will need to invest in researching and scouring the internet for domains, ideas, etc. What are you looking to get out of flipping domains? An extra $100 a month? A full time job? Only you can determine whether or not your goals are attainable, and if it's worth the amount of effort it will take to reach those goals. The key is investing in domains that so-called "end users" would want to have, and if you're looking to make frequent sales you'll most likely need to contact these potential buyers yourself (read at least the last, say, 20 pages of this thread to get you started). The method in which you contact end users is a huge piece of the puzzle so I would advise you put a lot of thought into it before trying this. It will take a lot of research and trial and error, but it is certainly possible to earn a decent four figures per month with the right strategy.

•••
Is Domain Flipping dead?

Not according to my paypal :p

Seriously though, what was outlined above is critical. Your names must obviously be decent, but most importantly, you must be able to not only find the right potential end-users, but play your cards right when it comes to contact/negotiation.

Last edited:
•••
Why cant anyone sell domains on this site if there so easy to sell?lol

•••
Why cant anyone sell domains on this site if there so easy to sell?lol

There's domains selling on this site every day. Anywhere from $1 to $1,000+ per sale. Each of the marketplace sections has countless sales threads with successful sales.

Granted, NamePros does tend to cater more towards the reseller markets, meaning that both new and seasoned veterans in the domain flipping / selling industry purchase domains for rock bottom reseller prices here so that they still have enough meat on the bone to make a profit when they locate an end user to buy it from them later.

Most those that buy on NamePros are not only resellers, but they assume all the risk of possibly getting stuck with a name and paying years of renewal fee's till they either locate the perfect buyer or finally get around to developing the domain them self to recoup their initial investment costs.

Domain flipping isn't dead by any means, but it does require strategy, knowledge of different niche markets, constant research to adapt to market trends, Networking with other domainers, finding the best discounts for minimal investments, understanding how to structure and execute a sales pitch, attention to details, knowing the buying triggers, actually having a good or at least decent domain, and focus in the presentation that creates a WOW factor. Just remember that a domain is truly only worth what someones willing to pay or you are able to convince them to spend.

With the above in mind, everyone has the potential to make a profit on their domain investments. Domain flipping will never die imo.

Eric Lyon

•••
hi, the key is selling / pitching skill.

I don't have (much) of it, so I have a reliable broker who sells / buys domains for me.

I buy domains in 4~5 figures to ensure they are real premium domains and they are much easier to sell than speculative domains.

So far, most of my profits are in 5 figures, although I don't sell often.

I guess, buying premium domains (at reasonable price) will cost more, but usually they guarantee a good profit when you are selling. Kind of like blue chips on stockmarket.

•••
Flipping is a live and well, But mainly in the domainer to domainer sale sector, A person can make some cash if they stay right in tune to domainer trends and feed them graciously.

•••
Whats bugs me the most when trying to sell a domain to any one (another domainer or end user) is that they can just check the whois and find out that I reg the domain couple days ago... (so they have leverage on me that I could not want them to pay even $xxx because I bought the domain for $10).

How do you feel about that when flipping?

Last edited:
•••
Whats bugs me the most when trying to sell a domain to any one (another domainer or end user) is that they can just check the whois and find out that I reg the domain couple days ago... (so they have leverage on me that I could not want them to pay even $xxx because I bought the domain for $10).

I wait a couple of years before trying to sell it. And just because I bought it for $10 doesn't mean I'm going to hand over the domain to you at the same price. I'm doing this for profit, so the buyer should expect the price to be at least a little bit higher.

•••

When it comes down to it, the buyer has to pay however much you demand if they want the domain, regardless of how old it is. I don't think the age matters to the end user much of the time. I've sold a lot of hand regs for $xxx or more within 1-7 days of registration. Definitely helps to focus on selling to companies rather than domainers, though. We're a cheap bunch. ;)

•••
So dubstep, for instance, I own easonenterprises.com, I was going to keep it for myself since that's my last name and was going to create my domain business under that domain. But if I wanted to flip it, I would just google other companies with that name, get their contact info, create a email (based off the "how to find potential end users" thread) or call them offering them this domain and explaining it's value to them?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back