Dynadot

Is honor valued in this business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tnames

Established Member
Impact
Let me tell you one small story: the other day I raised the price of several of my domains.

But before that I had sent some email offers to potential buyers with the lower price.

One of them responded interested in the low price offer. I answered that I would honor the offer I made him via email even though the price had gone up.
I will lost some thousand bucks if we finally make a deal with the old price but I think is the honest thing to do with somebody I reached with the old underrated price.

So that is the main question: do you think honor is valued in this business?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It can be a good idea to honor an offer that you've made, otherwise you might lose that particular client who think you're trying to taking advantage of them.

•••
It can be a good idea to honor an offer that you've made, otherwise you might lose that particular client who think you're trying to taking advantage of them.
sure, thanks for your answer

•••
I often did so and more, some appreciate it while others don't. Many buyers have no honor though, playing around for months, going back on their word, etc.

•••
It's not honour, it's called promotion.

•••
I often did so and more, some appreciate it while others don't. Many buyers have no honor though, playing around for months, going back on their word, etc.

Honour is most valued by those who take advantage of it. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
yes it is 5 dollar... so very valued indeed... plz come again

•••
But before that I had sent some email offers to potential buyers with the lower price.

One of them responded interested in the low price offer. I answered that I would honor the offer I made him via email even though the price had gone up.

You proactively sent the offers BEFORE you raised the prices.

So yes, you should honor the price.

If not, it is kind of bait and switch.

I am not really sure this is a real strong example of "honor" though.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I wish there was more people like you in this industry.

•••
Let me tell you one small story: the other day I raised the price of several of my domains.

One of them responded interested in the low price offer.
@tnames
you made an offer, he accepted it, so actually you had to follow up.

Honor is when one does something special.
In this case you didn't do anything special.
So I'm with @bmugford, I wouldn't call it honor.
Maybe just honesty?
:xf.smile:

•••
•••
Yes

I totally think you did the right thing. That said, as others have pointed out, I would not actually call it honour but rather that you were meeting the implied contractual agreement. You had offered the name at that price. Unless you had specifically set a time limit, and it was past that, or it was much after the original offer, it is both the right but also the agreement thing to do to honour that price.

Odds are it is also in your own interest. Most of the time a potential buyer does not have only a single domain name option. Many would be upset if after expressing interest in your name you then told them the price is more than the previously quoted amount, and you could well have totally lost the sale.

I am glad you did the right thing, and happy for both you and the buyer that it resulted in a sale.

-Bob

•••
Hi

i would say you did the honorable thing... in the eyes of the buyer.
thus, garnering you some respect for your decision to sell at solicited price.

and, what goes around, comes around.

imo....

•••
You can't take for granted dishonor may come back to haunt you furthering a long placehood.

"BIN" opportunity cost and sunk costs labeled I used to outbound email coined the phrase: feel free anytime to send your bids to sell to the highest bidder timely!

The domains worst case scenario of course, is.. he was loaded, deep pockets sold for xxx .com could asked xxx xxx .. miss

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it certainly is, and you did the right thing.

At what point does one not honour an offer to a a buyer? If not explicitly stated from the get-go. A week, a month..

I would give it a month I suppose. After that, if the buyer responded and wanted to meet that offer it would be dependent on a myriad of circumstances, of which would be honorable to share with them, not just a "sorry, but the price has increased".

You stated you stood to lose some "thousand bucks" by honoring an email sent out to which the respondent responded. That's a pretty big gap in pricing, was the timeline also far?

•••

I will lost some thousand bucks if we finally make a deal with the old price but I think is the honest thing to do with somebody I reached with the old underrated price.

Where is Honor?

You send emails to potential buyers with lower price and raised the price after that :xf.confused:

Last edited:
•••
Not always will be appreciated, Some buyers will think it was a tricky way that you increased the prices intentionally just to influence them to accept the lower prices in email offer, so will feel no honor no horror !

•••
Yes, but make sure to put an expiration date on the offers next time. Otherwise, someone might come back in 2-3 years and expect the same price...
Instilling a sense of urgency is also a good marketing tactic.

•••
It doesn't seem like your honor was really tested here.

If you had a higher offer come through and took the lower one instead, then maybe. But I don't think taking a higher offer is dishonorable, regardless, especially if the lower offer wasn't super recent and you weren't in discussion with them for a period of time.

If the lower-offer person responded and accepted it, and in between closing the deal someone else offered more, sure - that's more of a test.

But all that happened is you want to be patted on the head. and told you did a good thing... for offering a domain to someone and sellingt to them after they accepted your offer.

•••
Domainscontrol.com namserver not godaddy .com controlled / @berryhillj
no_url_shorteners/onerandomlink

#INTERNIC

•••
No honor w`o truth..

Domainscontrol.com namserver not godaddy .com controlled / @berryhillj

Last edited:
•••
Yeah I definitely would hate to buy anything from you

•••
There's no honour in business.

•••
Listed dotnft . Com on afternic/GoDaddy portfolio 25k all, about not to renew, struck gold woke-up email rep theirs negotiated 16k I accepted this

We need more broker(s) like these then I don't get jipped anymore of 20+ years holding on to..

Win/Win/Win = honor

- Dennis Zabala

Yeah I definitely would hate to buy anything from you

•••
Legally lol, you had to honor it

You offered, he accepted.

You can't offer one price without an expiration on the offer then raise prices and say "sorry baby" hahaha

It's dishonorable that you even thought this was right

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back