IT.COM

Is it possible to apply CSS to half of a character/word?

NameSilo
Watch

protekconsulting

Impact
Is it possible to apply CSS to half of a character/word?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not that I know of...but you'd be surprised with what kind of crazy tricks people are doing with CSS nowadays. Google it and if you have already and didn't find a solution, it's likely that even if it does exist it may not be broadly supported.

•••
yes, but only by modifying the HTML. Just wrap the text you wish to affect in inline tags, such as a <span>:

So in the HTML: someword becomes

some<span="red">word</span>

And then in the CSS you can reference the class name red or whatever you wish:

.red {color:#f00;}

•••
You can use @Dominium example to apply for half of word. There is no css available for half of a char

•••
You could use javascript, or as has been said, modfiy your word /sentence to break it up using a span.

•••
I would avoid using java, as it's blocked on most of the PCs, CSS is much better

•••
Java is not the same thing as JavaScript, and JavaScript is not blocked by most browsers.

In fact, 90% of websites use JavaScript: (see: w3techs.com/technologies/details/cp-javascript/all/all)

•••
In my opinion, it's better to keep pages as simple as possible. There was a simple task in this question, and CSS will work like a charm, with no need in any OOP.

... and, no, many users disable java / javascripts by default. This is just wise :)

•••
I get your point, but in order to eliminate misinformation, we should be aware that only approx. 1% of users aren't able to support JavaScript in their browsers :)

Source: gds.blog.gov.uk/2013/10/21/how-many-people-are-missing-out-on-javascript-enhancement/

•••
This one per cent of users (that 'are not able to support') could be potential customers... Again, if the finding is right, and there is such a low percentage of UK users, people are probably just unaware about vulnerability? I keep it off, so my customers do, and I think we loose nothing. That's up to a webmaster (or what's more right - up to his client) what to choose. If this lad asks about CSS - he needs CSS / HTML solution for a reason.

•••
Yes, I agree with you that CSS is the best approach for this scenario.

I don't think you want to use JavaScript for everything, but if it's non-critical and the page would work gracefully and acceptably in cases where JavaScript is disabled then I think that's fine. JavaScript is very much on the rise with frameworks like Node and Angular surging in popularity.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back