IT.COM

.tv Is there a 7 figure .tv sale going through

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"First 7-figure .tv sale to be reported to dnjournal within one week"

Will be fun to hear what it is, if and when it's announced

•••
I have been heavily investing in DoTV and I feel a lot better knowing that verisign is managing these domain names, instead of a bureaucratic banana republic. I think DoTV is on the rise and a solid investment for the long term.

•••
If true is a big help, so very interesting to see, hopefully not just B.S

•••
•••
I for one hope it's true. It would be a cruel joke if it's not.

JLC

•••
An update from the seller (from thedomains.com)

"at the 11th hour, they forced us to sign an NDA – sorry for the hype

money has cleared escrow, $1.35mm (we picked up this domain for less than $2000, four years ago)"

Obviously a bunch of BS.

Brad

•••
dont ya love domaining !!!!

•••
naturally with a sale this large the buyer demands an nda. why does this seem strange???

***i forgot to add "lol".

Last edited:
•••
Read the article ........our old friend snoop (who i have met) makes an appearence , expect him here, funny enough in person he seems quite a reasonable person .... just doesn't pull any punches

•••
looks like it was personalloans.com
one guy i would like to meet is snoop....

Last edited:
•••
looks like it was personalloans.com
one guy i would like to meet is snoop....

He is busy sorting out the aussie domainer forum .....funny to read ....as always

•••
While the sale might be real it will remain a fluke.
We don't know the domain in question but it's probably a premium one - it's not like a domainer can repeat that feat anytime soon.

Sales like that always rise hopes up, but they won't really change anything to your bottom line as a tv'er :imho:
The whole domain industry is thriving on the hope of a big payday. It's the online equivalent of lottery.

•••
While the sale might be real it will remain a fluke.
We don't know the domain in question but it's probably a premium one - it's not like a domainer can repeat that feat anytime soon.

Sales like that always rise hopes up, but they won't really change anything to your bottom line as a tv'er :imho:
The whole domain industry is thriving on the hope of a big payday. It's the online equivalent of lottery.

...probably right. But the extension is doing well without a "big" payday and getting decent roi on a growing number of domain names. Nothing like a lottery but nothing to sneeze at, either.

It's become a stable form of investment for many so I am happy with it overall.

•••
...probably right. But the extension is doing well without a "big" payday and getting decent roi on a growing number of domain names. Nothing like a lottery but nothing to sneeze at, either.

It's become a stable form of investment for many so I am happy with it overall.

actually its very much like a lottery. buying a .tv name in hopes of flipping for profit is one of the wildest speculations one can make.

people who buy these need to know that they are putting 100% of their money at risk and the odds favor the loss of 100%. just look at marketplace here, how many absolutely idiotic names do people try to push off before the next renewal date comes? look at the drop lists, hundreds, sometimes thousands, of $25 "investments" deleted every day. the people who bought and let go of those obviously didnt do very well. i think their are many more losers than the "many" who you say are doing well.

i was checking out the gd list earlier today. looks like a few dozen [state]foreclosures.tv are expired. no bidders on any of them. if these were .com's there'd be a hundred bidders on each. there are just not very many people interested in owning .tv, even very good and sensible ones. and since there is usually very little traffic on a .tv theres virtually no hope of actually earning the reg fee.

it is a great diservice to promote an opinion that .tv is an "investment". its a great tld if you have a bona fide development need but if you are only hoping that an end-user or another domainer will pay you off then you are playing a slot machine, not making an investment.

Last edited:
•••
..it is a great diservice to promote an opinion that .tv is an "investment"...

...actually, no, it is not a great disservice nor a small disservice, for that matter. It is an investment, pure and simple. A speculative one to be sure but an investment nonetheless. Some haven't invested properly and some have.

As I stated before, I am happy with it overall...

•••
just look at marketplace here, how many absolutely idiotic names do people try to push off before the next renewal date comes?
And how many non-idiotic ones?

it is a great diservice to promote an opinion that .tv is an "investment".
Read this type of thing on Forex forums too..

its a great tld if you have a bona fide development need
As always, I will say that I look forward to seeing your bona fide development come to fruition in the near future.

•••
•••
Interesting article ...... i hope you get what it all means

http://fragerfactor.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/frank-schillings-2nd-million-dollar.html

long story short the modern web is a 'brandable situation' some .tv's work as brandables, however i do think suitable generics work well with this extension quite well too, videos/tv movies/tv streammovies/tv ..etc

...agree that intelligence must be utilized in investing in this and any extension.

The next generations are and will continue to freely make use of non-.com extensions as .com steadily slips from being the supreme monolith and prices for generic and brandable words in other extensions maintain being more cost-effective than the 20th century "god" of extensions.

The 21st century technologies provided us also play a role in making other extensions more familiar and comfortable to use, web apps being a simple example...

Indeed, .tv has its place in cyberspace, or so it seems...site:.tv results in over 2 billion google results.

While .com has over 25 billion and will be the darling of commerce for years to come, I also notice .de with over 21 billion and even Italy has over 6 billion. Doesn't seem to make .com all that big anymore...the only thing constant is change and that includes the internet, I would assume.

•••
The 21st century technologies provided us also play a role in making other extensions more familiar and comfortable to use, web apps being a simple example...
Technology has nothing to do with domain extensions.

While .com has over 25 billion and will be the darling of commerce for years to come, I also notice .de with over 21 billion and even Italy has over 6 billion. Doesn't seem to make .com all that big anymore...the only thing constant is change and that includes the internet, I would assume.
Indeed, over the last decade there has been a marked shift toward ccTLDs.
The wrong assumption that many domainers make is that the rapid pace of change caused by technology would or should extend to domain extensions. The fabric of the domain system is basically like it was in 1984, with just a few more extensions and many more domain names.

•••
Technology has nothing to do with domain extensions.

Indeed, over the last decade there has been a marked shift toward ccTLDs.
The wrong assumption that many domainers make is that the rapid pace of change caused by technology would or should extend to domain extensions. The fabric of the domain system is basically like it was in 1984, with just a few more extensions and many more domain names.

...yeah, kinda like saying that technology had nothing to do with radio's demise when television entered the scene. Your logic seems a bit convoluted in this regard.

Those who choose to dwell in the 20th century will naturally see things your way. You are entitled to your opinion, though. Best of luck to you...

•••
Being a sales person is not easy. Domaining is what you make of it.

7 figure sale or not, investment worthy or not. Its nice to hear success stories of any kind, it would have been nice to hear the details.

•••
...yeah, kinda like saying that technology had nothing to do with radio's demise when television entered the scene. Your logic seems a bit convoluted in this regard.

hmmm. the convolutions seem to be yours. as i understand your position is that technologic developments will make web based video more of a commonplace thing, and that will then make .tv a more recognizable/valuable domain. do i get that right? and you dont see the stretch?

it seems to me that technologic advances are just as likely, if not more so, to make domains themselves obsolete. we've certainly all grown accustomed to them but theres nothing about them thats actually neccesary for the web to work except that we have all gotten used to them and put them into neccesary functions. they were in fact developed as an afterthought simply becasue it was so difficult for humans to remember the ip addresses that were, and still are, at the heart of the internet protocols.

i can clearly see a time very near where the dns is replaced by another system.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

...actually, no, it is not a great disservice nor a small disservice, for that matter. It is an investment, pure and simple. A speculative one to be sure but an investment nonetheless. Some haven't invested properly and some have.

i supose then the argument is only over semantics? in your view is $25 dropped in a slot machine an "investment"? it sounds like it. yeah, sure, buy a lottery ticket and call it an investment. but the difference between that and something like a bond or even a good traffic domain is that one is likely to result in a total loss of capital and the other is more likely to proved a return.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

And how many non-idiotic ones?

well how many would you say? you obviously have plenty of time on your hands default so would you undertake a thourough study of the matter and report the findings?

my offhand guess is there are about 100 totally ridiculous domains offered for sale here for every one truly decent.

and even the decent ones dont get sold for very much, we all know that domainer pricing is a miniscule fraction of what we hope to get from the elusive end-user.

Read this type of thing on Forex forums too..

you have time to hang around those too??

As always, I will say that I look forward to seeing your bona fide development come to fruition in the near future.

me too.

and if it doesnt i'll have to accept the fact that i've wasted over a million dollars buying and holding .tv names.

•••
"hmmm. the convolutions seem to be yours..."

...No, Finster, you are the one with the convoluted logic and you just proved my point with that statement. You inferred wrongly with regard to my evaluation of the .tv extension. You claim that I aver that "technologic developments will make web based video more of a commonplace thing, and that will then make .tv a more recognizable/valuable domain." Though some may tend to see it that way, I do not necessarily find that as the key advantage.

To try to make it clear to you, the 21st century is producing generations of users and developers that will not be shy about using Any extension that suits their needs to the left of the dot as .com will be growing weaker by time and attrition. Fact is that it is happening as we speak and nothing you can say or do is stopping it.

Yes, Finster, domain names and extensions, like everything else, has a shelf life. Key is to cash in on them while the property is hot.

Next...
"...yeah, sure, buy a lottery ticket and call it an investment. but the difference between that and something like a bond or even a good traffic domain is that one is likely to result in a total loss of capital and the other is more likely to proved a return."

...Domain names are investments, plain and simple...except to you. I guess I can't help you there as someone says one thing and you already had it translated before it reached your ears. Sorry about that. I'll leave you alone with your thoughts as you seem not to be able to absorb anything else. In essense, Finny, you win the debate. Congrats...

I'll just maintain my "investments", thank you.

•••
sTOP buying shit names and start developing the good ones ......simple

(blanket statement)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back