IT.COM

.tv Is there a 7 figure .tv sale going through

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Technology DO have a strong relationship with domains.
Italian biggest pubblic channels always had Rai.it as internet website.
Then technology evolved, video streaming started and become an opportunity and the started to use and advertise Rai.tv to show their programs on the web.
Same for NBA.tv etc...

•••
it seems to me that technologic advances are just as likely, if not more so, to make domains themselves obsolete. we've certainly all grown accustomed to them but theres nothing about them thats actually neccesary for the web to work except that we have all gotten used to them and put them into neccesary functions. they were in fact developed as an afterthought simply becasue it was so difficult for humans to remember the ip addresses that were, and still are, at the heart of the internet protocols.
One could argue that the domain name system is not very 'sexy', especially when your mother tongue is not English and you don't use the Latin alphabet...

But the whole thing works and is deeply ingrained the minds of consumers.
Another important aspect is the massive branding that goes around domain names.
Last but not least, resistance to change comes from consumers and end users, not domainers.

Many newbies think the next extension will be the dotcom killer but there is not one single valid reason to ditch away what works today to jump into unproven things.
(If anything is unclear please contact Overstock to arrange for a web strategy seminar).

i can clearly see a time very near where the dns is replaced by another system.
If that is what you think, you should pull out of domaining now.

I think domain names will still be there in 20 years.
Even .tv. Why not ?
Simply put, they do the job. They work. My thinking is based on one simple observation: in spite of the dominance of search engines and new navigation methods domain names are not less important/relevant than they were 10 years ago. Moving away from them is not something that can take place overnight.

When they were first introduced in the mid-1980s there was no www. It was telnet, E-mail, ftp, gopher and arcane systems. Now there is the WWW and other IP-centric services like SIP. Tomorrow there will be more.
The DNS is scalable and can accommodate plenty of new services and new technologies.

Back to .tv, the questions at hand are basic:
has .tv experienced more success and recognition in line with the growth of online video and - last but not least, how does that translate to your bottom line as an investor, in terms of sales and revenue.

Technology DO have a strong relationship with domains.
I guess you bought .mobi too. The Betacam of domain names. But that's technology too. Sometimes it takes a different turn that expected.

•••
In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. - Eric Hoffer

•••
In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. - Eric Hoffer

...I like that one!

•••
But some people will never learn :blink:

•••
If that is what you think, you should pull out of domaining now.

i've been unloading for years now. when you have as many as i do its not easy to unload quickly and still fetch reasonably decent prices. i'm not in a big hurry.

I think domain names will still be there in 20 years.

i do too. and even much farther into the future then that. but i'm not sure they will be the big deal they are today. i hear there are still large transactions in the 800 and 900 # space but i'm sure that market is just a shadow of what was. just one example. want another? a couple of months ago i stayed a night in a rural motel that still used rotary dial!

Moving away from them is not something that can take place overnight.

the advance that would obsolete dns would of necessity have to be something that was very attractive and being so would probably be adapted pretty quick.

personally i'm betting that it isnt a human that comes up with the advance either.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

...No, Finster, you are the one with the convoluted logic and you just proved my point with that statement. You inferred wrongly with regard to my evaluation of the .tv extension. You claim that I aver that "technologic developments will make web based video more of a commonplace thing, and that will then make .tv a more recognizable/valuable domain." Though some may tend to see it that way, I do not necessarily find that as the key advantage.

To try to make it clear to you, the 21st century is producing generations of users and developers that will not be shy about using Any extension that suits their needs to the left of the dot as .com will be growing weaker by time and attrition. Fact is that it is happening as we speak and nothing you can say or do is stopping it.

Inference: the act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises known or assumed to be true

exactly how does an incorrect inference make my logic convoluted?

i made that inference based on what i undertood you to say. furthermore i asked you for clarification on that point just to be sure. so now its not technolic development but rather user adaptation that will drive the growth in .tv value, in your view? do i have that right finally?

assuming we have that nailed down then the central question becomes "is use increasing?". is your portfolio getting significantly more traffic now than it was a year ago? mine sure isnt. maybe it could be a while before this new genration starts typing in .tv in the kind of quantities that pay.

Yes, Finster, domain names and extensions, like everything else, has a shelf life. Key is to cash in on them while the property is hot.

sounds just like every fast buck artist i've ever encountered. not saying you are one of those just that it smacks of the get rich quick mentality that underlies speculative bubbles.

btw, good traffic names took some hits during the recession but they are still producing. the established parking companies are still in business. doesnt that prove that .com was the right place to put capital?

...Domain names are investments, plain and simple...except to you. I guess I can't help you there as someone says one thing and you already had it translated before it reached your ears.

so now its domain names in toto that are investments? i thought we were talking specifically of .tv domain names? which is it, becasue if we're talking about high quality .com's, or domains with quality type-in traffic, then yes, investment grade. i rather think i made this point earlier.

but if we're talking about .tv names specificallyt then those are "investments" that almost always pay no return. i have 3 or 4 traffic producing .tv's, names that earn there reg fee a couple times over a year but they are the exception. how many traffic .tv's do you have?

so if an "investment" doesnt provide an active return, like valuable traffic or if it isnt employed as a capital asset in a business then the only way to recoup ones capital is to sell it to someone else for more than what was paid. in the case of .tv that is the far more rare occurance. the more common one is that yet another year goes by without any bonafide offers and either it gets dropped or another 25 bucks goes into the kitty.

since most domainers who buy .tv have niether a bonafide development interest nor the financial wherewithall to keep throwing money into a hole letting go is the usual result.

some might try to sell to another domainer by posting on the forum here. we all see how succesful that usually is. and even when it does work its only to another domainer who half the time drops it a year or 2 later. there are exceptions to this pattern.

anyway, i think i've summed up my view. if theres really something more to discuss or some genuine question anyone has then i'd love to hear it; otherwise i think we all have better things to do with our time then flapping our wings around here.

if you have any decent geo .tv's to sell please pm me with prices. i need good ones for a project. if not good luck!

Last edited:
•••
I am happy to go with the phone number theory .......over a hundred years and still going strong

•••
I guess you bought .mobi too. The Betacam of domain names. But that's technology too. Sometimes it takes a different turn that expected.

Luckily I did buy few .mobi so the total loss have been in the low XXX range.
But .mobi was a bet with some chance of winning. Than the market evolved differently but it's still something that made sense, even if seen from today perspective.
In any investment you have to expect that things takes a different turn than expected.

•••
But .mobi was a bet with some chance of winning. Than the market evolved differently but it's still something that made sense, even if seen from today perspective.

In any investment you have to expect that things takes a different turn than expected.

there was a brief period between the intro till just after rick shwartz "accidentally" bought flowers.mobi for 200k that a lot of money could have been made. mostly to other domainers who almost all lost 100%. i've been doing this for nearly 14 years now and thats the way it goes with domain bubbles.

i never much like .mobi, seemed like a solution in search of a problem. underneath it all i always pictured capt ahab chasing his elusive foe into oblivion.

•••
I am glad , there is this finantial two word TV DN for 7 figures transaction pending. I am prepared with StockExchange . The threshold was set up.

rokoroko

•••
I am glad , there is this finantial two word TV DN for 7 figures transaction pending. I am prepared with StockExchange . The threshold was set up.

rokoroko

are you getting offers on stockexchange ?

•••
from time to time, but not on the transaction threshold.

•••
Threads like this can only harm the extension.
I cannot understand why "experienced" NP`rs "support" this kind of rumors.

Report only 100%-confirmed sales, otherwise "Jeff" will be back.

Last edited:
•••
@montechristos perfectly said.

All this noise and chatter is a big waste of time IMO.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back