NameSilo

Issues with NetworkSolutions & SnapNames Backorder

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I backordered a domain through NetworkSolutions. I suppose they started backorder services not too long ago. I also placed a backorder through SnapNames. (SnapNames and NetworkSolutions are owned by Web.com). A few weeks later, I receive an email from a SnapNames domain broker that reads

Good Afternoon,

My name is Bobby MacDonald and I am a Senior domain broker for SnapNames, a Web.com company.

Network Solutions, also a Web.com company, had informed me that you have utilized their Domain Backorder service to assist you in acquiring ******.COM. In confidence, I immediately reached out to the domain owner on your behalf and they have just responded to me that they would in fact be open to selling the domain.

The current domain owner did not give me a firm asking price, however did say that they were open to reviewing your offer. If you’re interested in purchasing ******.COM, I will certainly submit an offer to the owner on your behalf. If you choose not to make an offer, Network Solutions Backorder Service will continue to monitor the domains availability for you.

Additionally, If you have any other questions around this process, please feel free to reach out to me at[email protected] and I will gladly assist you as needed.
I never asked for a domain broker to reach out to the owners of the domain I was hoping to acquire through a backorder service. How dare they. What's more insane is that Network Solutions is sharing my backorder information. So let me get this right, this 'senior domain broker' was hoping to acquire the domain for some outrageous price so that he, and his company, can weep the benefits of the high commission. Super unethical.

Frustrated, I reached out to NetworkSolutions several times. They transferred me several times to someone that said a supervisor would reach out to me a few hours. After two days, I called again and was told the same thing "a supervisor would reach out to me in a few hours". I didn't hear anything.

I e-mailed SnapNames. No luck. Everyone seemed to have completely avoided reaching out to me. I think they know they made a serious 'booboo'. If so, why don't they try to fix it. All I ask is for my money back for the Network Solutions backorder fee. I tried reaching out to Web.com executives. Someone responded saying the issue has been escalated and I would hear back from them shortly. I never did. I want my money back. The worst services ever. Beware of Web.com and their affiliate websites. Very shady.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know about snap names, but Network Solutions says right on their website (just below the backorder header) that they will first try to contact the owner of the website to negotiate a sale.

For only $10.00, we can help you get this domain. Here's how it works:

• We'll negotiate for you anonymously with whoever currently owns the domain.
  • If the owner of the domain isn't ready to sell yet, we will watch it every day to see when it becomes available.
  • If the owner doesn't renew, we'll get it for you before it becomes available to the general public.

•••
I don't know about snap names, but Network Solutions says right on their website (just below the backorder header) that they will first try to contact the owner of the website to negotiate a sale.

• If the owner of the domain isn't ready to sell yet, we will watch it every day to see when it becomes available.
  • If the owner doesn't renew, we'll get it for you before it becomes available to the general public.
It may say that now. It didn't say that before. I raised hell. I am sure they've made some changes. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. I am sticking to GoDaddy.

•••
A very underhand move from Snapnames. Who the hell are they to "reach out to the domain owner on your behalf"??? The whole point of backordering is for as few people as possible to know you are interested, reaching out to the former owner is the most backstabbing thing they could do. If you wanted to reach out to the owner you would have done so years ago by yourself and not included a broker.

•••
Maybe this was not an expired domain in the first place.

•••
That's my question, was it in pending delete? If not they must have assumed you were just placing a back order in anticipation of it possible expiring. Was it a snap exclusive expired maybe? I would never back order through netsol for fear they might catch the name and then I'd have to deal with them as the registrar. I'd rather throw myself down a flight of stairs than deal with them. At least at Snap there's a chance BigRock or someone else will catch it.

•••
A very underhand move from Snapnames. Who the hell are they to "reach out to the domain owner on your behalf"??? The whole point of backordering is for as few people as possible to know you are interested, reaching out to the former owner is the most backstabbing thing they could do. If you wanted to reach out to the owner you would have done so years ago by yourself and not included a broker.
Domain Lead Finder - Exactly. That's what I am saying. So backstabbing. It was a Backorder and not some type of service to request a damn domain broker. I was so furious when I got that e-mail. NetworkSolutions is sharing my information with other websites too. Not cool.

That's my question, was it in pending delete? If not they must have assumed you were just placing a back order in anticipation of it possible expiring. Was it a snap exclusive expired maybe? I would never back order through netsol for fear they might catch the name and then I'd have to deal with them as the registrar. I'd rather throw myself down a flight of stairs than deal with them. At least at Snap there's a chance BigRock or someone else will catch it.
ikehook - The expiration was due in a few months. Definitely NOT a Snapnames exclusive. Regardless, NetworkSolutions was sharing my information with other websites. I am clear what their true agenda was.

Are you some type of representative with NetworkSolutions or Web.com?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back