NameSilo

Keyword Rich Domains: value to end users

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ravd

Impact
Hi everyone,

I'm a domain newby. I hope someone here can help me on a basic question:

What is the value of a keyword-rich domain for an end user with an established web presence? What if the business owner doesn't want to rebrand?

I gather that, in the past (before Google's Panda & Penguin updates), end users could set up optimized landing pages on new keyword domains for SEO purposes, to expand market reach.

My research indicates that nowadays, however, SEO professionals recommend against this strategy. They suggest that website owners focus on building up content on their main website, instead of developing additional properties.

In most cases, the direct type-in traffic is minimal or zero, so pointing the new domain to the main site will bring in very little new traffic.

What is the value proposition for established business owners who don't want to rebrand, if there's little traffic prior traffic at the new domain? If the established site owners (PPC advertisers) don't see value in new domains, then who are the likely alternative sales leads?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Doug

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By "research" do you mean reading posts from Matt Cutts' fanbois?

I would suggest researching sales reports on DNJournal.
There are a few EMD's selling.

Assuming you have good solid content, EMD's will give a good nudge toward the top. I would not (normally) re-brand on one, though.

But, there are uses for them, such as SEO, lead generation, and saving $$ on PPC.

•••
Thanks for the reply, Chris.

I can see that keyword domains are very good choices for an end user who wants to launch a new website or rebrand.

However, I'm still trying to understand how they're useful for existing website owners who don't want to rebrand or launch a new business. I want to figure out what, if anything, is the appropriate sales angle for the end use under these circumstances.

Numerous SEO experts say you can generate more traffic and referrals by enriching the content & authority of your existing website, than by opening a newer, less authoritative site on a new domain (even if the new domain is an EMD). See, for example, articles at:

smallbusinesssem dot com / sbs-mailbag-should-i-buy-multiple-domains-for-seo / 3165

moz dot com / community / q / is-pointing-multiple-domains-to-a-single-website-beneficial-for-seo-or-not

blog dot hubspot dot com / insiders / should-i-have-multiple-websites​

So, what am I missing here? Why would an existing website owner want to buy more keyword domains, without planning to rebrand or to launch a new business entirely (and perhaps sell their old business, or compete against it)? What's the sales angle for the end user?

Thanks in advance for any more explanations.

•••
Keyword-rich names offer several benefits. The business owner does not need to rebrand. In many cases, keyword-rich domain names are a helpful addition to their business because they might offer type-in traffic, memorability, authority, etc.

Let's say the company brand is Protechno (just and example) and that company sales plastic bottles. No one will decipher what the company does just by listening to the name. But if the company acquires PlasticBottles.com, that would represent a giant jump in marketing.

Even if they do not rebrand, PlasticBottles.com get type-in traffic and gives people the idea that the company that owns that name is the (or an) authority in the industry. There are several other benefits...

Last edited:
•••
That's helpful. Thanks!
Will the buyer assume that plasticbottles.com gets type-in traffic? Or does the seller need to prove it from parking stats, Google Analytics, etc?

•••
I can see that keyword domains are very good choices for an end user who wants to launch a new website or rebrand.

However, I'm still trying to understand how they're useful for existing website owners who don't want to rebrand or launch a new business. I want to figure out what, if anything, is the appropriate sales angle for the end use under these circumstances.

those who already have a "web presence" are not rebranding or launching new sites, typically don't want or need a new keyword domain..... unless maybe it's a shorter description of the one they already have.

it's why tons of spam solicitations go unanswered or no sale is produced.

this is particularly true for other extensions when one is trying to sell the .net/.org/.info or some .whatever keywords to the .com owner.

imo...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back