Domain Empire

debate Let's be real, most successful domainers are people who registered domains 15-30 years ago

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siggy2500

Established Member
Impact
This is what nobody talks about.

Decades ago, lets say roughly 25 years ago, when the internet was in its golden age, domains were in abundance and many good names were available, the average person could usually register the domain he needed without it being taken.

Domaining is not futureproof, not sustainable, it's more of an early-internet thing, even now the internet is still very young if you think about it, BUT, as the internet gets older and more people are using it, computers are advancing, the demand increases and all the half-decent domains get sucked up, even with the new TLDs. The new TLDs are overpriced, and nothing will ever compare to when the internet was fairly new, when good domains were available & free and without having to pay thousands of dollars or even millions for them.

Now, today, more than 20 years after the dot-com bubble, realistically, no domains are available for registering, only the pickers are left and if you want to get a good domain in your collection, you have to buy it at a premium and pray someone is going to buy it, and I don't think people really profit much from that at all, because it's likely that the would-be buyer is another domainer or as the nerds call it, "domain investor" like you, and I guess if the domainer or would-be buyer is smart he wouldnt buy the domain at any higher price than you did yourself because then he would have to resell it even higher if he's trying to make a profit just like you did. Then the price continues to become so high that there isn't much room left to profit off the domain within the domaining industry, then again there are chances it gets purchased by a business or individual interested in it, and then that domain goes out of public circulation and gets used as a website, with only the trash pickers left within the domaining industry.

Nobody wants domains ending in, for example: .xyz and other ugly similarities, even if you get a good domain with such ugly endings it's still realistically worthless, be real. The only TLDs in which "good" domains are worth anything are .COM, .NET and .AI, etc and that only being said if your website has traffic, it's true if you are a logical person and not a trash hoarder. The only domains which have value are high traffic domains, and if you have an ugly TLD domain, for example .xyz with high traffic, good for you, your domain has physical people entering it, then I can make an exception and consider it "valuable".

And finally, domains are not property which means you do not own them, you only have the right to use them and that is only so if you pay the yearly fee. Domains aren't property, therefore they have no book value, no officially recognized value because as I said, it's not property. It's only speculation and it's up to the so called "domain investors" what the market value for it is.

Different can be said about high traffic domains, as I said above, they have physical backing behind them in the form of customers (humans), which are important for generating revenue for a website. The only way you can make a domain "valuable" nowadays is by developing it into a website with traffic.

Alright, that is enough. Now I will be stormed with shit, feel free to thumbs down this post and mass-report me, moderate me or or whatever. I don't care! Just stay mad. Stay edgy! 🤡

And feel free to correct any mistake I made in this post, I might take it as advice, it depends. 🐒🐒🐒

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People who invest in things early and usually more successful than those who invest later, yes.
That's my point. The same thing applies to Bitcoins and some other crypto. The same story happened to Apple investors, who bought shares instead of buying computers.

•••
Frank Schilling was last to the party and he won. He's young, cash rich (LIQUID) and lives in the Caribbean. He cashed out his portfolio, business and is retired. The old dinosaurs are still out there still trying to sell/pitch their names, they didn't win. Schilling is 54 today has time and his health, not to mention his risk is off the table.

What he did with nGTLDs >

"We didn’t get here by playing the rules of the game. We got here by setting the rules of the game.” – Chris Albrecht, CEO of HBO"

From my perspective the old dinosaurs of the industry left all the money on the table for the few of us who can connect the dots and make filthy lucre...... $100m+

1708113135797.png

Last edited:
•••
I've given myself only 3 years left to make $100m+ net . Which will mark a decade long in the business of domains... in reality it is too long. One must understand there is always a price to pay

☝️ I'll return to this post August 2027, which will mark my end. I'd love $20k on myself at 5000/1 that would be $200m+ :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
and folks who get into the domain game 30 years from now will claim the most successful domainers got into the biz 30 years ago.

Funny how that works.

•••
You're right, dude

It's over for anything now

It's not like 20 years won't pass and there will be domains that people in 2044 will wish they got in 2024

•••
Ok so then explain this.

Anyone who bought those epic .com domain names where thinking the same as most of us are doing now, however even on a much lower level.

The person who purchased a lot of, ai names, had to wait how long?

We know Apple is on their .com but they could open their store on a.net where it's the only way to gain apps.

I get what you are saying but I mean what about marketing?

So now everyone is going to say oh my god, The AI king got all these epic names.

What's next?

Not to be rude but pretty sure a single web3 on a XYZ can cover the net worth of 95% on this forum, and if I would venture into web3 I would also venture into domain extensions that just feel a bit more modern and not so insanely boring.
I called other extensions besides. Com, Trend investing, .US had it moment, .Org had its moment, .in had its moment, LLLL.com went big with a trend. even .Mobi made some noise. back in the day. it was lucrative flipping those extensions. how did i know they would become a popular trend in domain selling ?? The domain name forums, although probably 80% of the sales were domainer to domainer sales, these trends raised a new bar in the industry in those days.

The same goes in development, the AdSense mini sites , the incumbent Yahoo Publisher sites, the affiliate sites.

You can swag with the trends and be happy. create them

Last edited:
•••
If you think of domains as virtual real estate, what is going to make them more valuable? Are they like wine, they get better with age? Maybe but probably not much better. Can you do something to make them more attractive though? Sure, throw a blog out there, put some decent content on it, start to get some backlinks and some google keywords ranked. Now the domain has more value. Someone can buy it and copy the slugs you already have ranked and get free traffic instantly. Is that more work than just buying and holding? Sure, but real estate agents sell staged houses quicker than empty ones and sometimes that extra work is worth it.

•••
Sorry think my post went in twice.

Last edited:
•••
You're not going to answer the questions are you.

•••
Domaining is a gambling type of endeavour, no need to be shy, say as it is.
Invest more than 60K = profit 2K until today, let's hope for better results.
Many end users understand that the value of domains is it's hand reg and renewal fee, only some serious companies understand what they buy and need, they not have time for calculations when their biz depends on a great domain.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back