IT.COM

License Violations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I own a script and part of my license is not to remove the link at the bottom of the page unless you purchase a Private Label license. Many scripts have this like Vbulletin, Indexu, etc.

My question is what can I do if somebody does not own a private label license and removes my link? Is there someplace I can report this to or should I just contact a lawyer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The violation means that he lost his right to the software, and won't be entitled to future upgrades.

Other than that, if they refuse to cooperate, then you can let people know through forums so they will know not to deal with him.

•••
If the user is not following the license, they are in violation of your copyright. You are within your rights file a report with their ISP and request that their service is interupted.

I used to have a form letter for this purpose. I'll see if I can find it.

•••
Yes, I told him no more updates until he put my link back. He then complained to PayPal, so I gave him a refund. I guess I shouldnt have given him one, but PayPal didnt really let me dispute it. I figured it would be better than having my account frozen over something silly as that.

Thats what I thought about the copyright, RJ. He took the script off his site, but I would like the form letter if you ever find it. I will use it if this happens again in the future.

•••
Apart from this, i also see several paid scripts stolen and spread all over the net. :(. Poor developers.

•••
Thats why you need a strict policy for to help deter that type of stuff. If possible, having people notice your script being illegally sold or distributed helps as well.

•••
it needs to have a call home function to operate. With this you can shut down anyone at anytime.

•••
domainogre -
Best thing to do is tracert and find out who their host is, and contact them about it. It would be the best, quickest, and easiest way to resolve the issue.
Also, incase you wana know how to tracert, http://www.dnsstuff.com :)

•••
Originally posted by echo
it needs to have a call home function to operate. With this you can shut down anyone at anytime.

That is a great idea

•••
Not sure how practical or expensive it would be to install something like that, but I agree that it sounds like a great idea.

•••
you can also put in a time call, if they don't update by a set time the script stops and says UPDATE

this is usually on on expensive s/w apps

•••
heh, something like that was a site I was planning to start in the summer...
I thought about it like a month ago, and thought it would be a good idea ;)
Dont want to go into more details, but will be sure to let yall know when I finish it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back