NameSilo

discuss My thoughts about different registrars

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnFolk

Top Member
Impact
Its been 1andhalf year since i started domaining and till now i have had domains at 15+ registrars which are following

bigrock
godaddy
fasthosts
namesilo
name.com
uniregistry
dotster
netfirms
mydomain
exabytes
namecheap
nettigritty
reappoint
lcn
1&1
alpnames
register.it
whois.com
dynadot
directnic

initially when you start you only go for low prices but besides prices, with time gradually you realize for a longer term you want registrar which besides fair pricing provides overall simplified service that consists of user interface, how easy it is to push to different account or transfer out to different registrar, services like DNS, how easily those are accessible, whether provide premium listing at afternic sedo, security or privacy etc

In my experience
Godaddy undoubtedly remains and is absolutely the most popular registrar among end users.

nettigritty bigrock whois.com alpnames all these are of reseller club or PDR overall provide good experience specially i like how whois have removed auto renew option and domain can only be manually renewed.

other resellers like exabytes reappoint provide tidy UI but they compensate it with pricing

for me overall namesilo is the best considering everything and fasthosts second best specially because of their pricing. Uni could have also be in contention but they neither provide premium listing at afternic nor sedo (where my majority of sales come from) so that mostly keeps me away from it.
dynadot and name.com are excellent come close to namesilo. godaddy is not great but fairly good. namecheap and rest are good to ok.

i never had really bad experience at any particular registrar. didnt use epik or enom except for namejet transfer. pheenix namebright hardly used, network solution never got an account.

i am trying to limit my number of registrars upto 3-4 to ease the management of domains.

you all can also share how many registrars you have used? or how many registrars you have your domains currently at?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm in the final stages of moving all my names to Name Silo.

GoDaddy seems to have gone the way of all of the "too big to fail" companies. They couldn't be bothered to reply to my attempted theft through Afternic thread, and Name Silo was into that like a terrier after a rat. :)

•••
•••
NameSilo #1 and Dynadot is ok. When I get a domain at GoDaddy I move away as soon as I can. 👏

NameCheap isn’t so cheap anymore so only have a few there still.

•••
NameSilo #1 and Dynadot is ok. When I get a domain at GoDaddy I move away as soon as I can. 👏

NameCheap isn’t so cheap anymore so only have a few there still.

Agreed.

I just don't like Godaddy. Try to move my domain before expiration. These guys are too greedy. They get you on renewal. You will never find any coupons for renewal.
:wtf:

•••
Its been 1andhalf year since i started domaining and till now i have had domains at 15+ registrars which are following

bigrock
godaddy
fasthosts
namesilo
name.com
uniregistry
dotster
netfirms
mydomain
exabytes
namecheap
nettigritty
reappoint
lcn
1&1
alpnames
register.it...

I forgot Dotster was still alive. I figured he was hanging out with Alta Vista.

•••
Dynadot for me. I move all my domains there as soon as I can. I don't have a 2nd. Nothing can compete, except GoDaddy for end-user name recognition. But I would like NameSilo for 2nd Place if they didn't have a website designed in the 20th Century. But I'm 120% satisfied with Dynadot. Their support even helped me with a spreadsheet problem I was having. Just yesterday. Where else can you get that kind of support?

If the backend is working smoothly, I can worry about other stuff without distraction, like marketing.

Last edited:
•••
Thoughts on Porkbun.com? (the registrar, not the domain name :-P)

•••
Dynadot for me. I move all my domains there as soon as I can. I don't have a 2nd. Nothing can compete, except GoDaddy for end-user name recognition. But I would like NameSilo for 2nd Place if they didn't have a website designed in the 20th Century. But I'm 120% satisfied with Dynadot. Their support even helped me with a spreadsheet problem I was having. Just yesterday. Where else can you get that kind of support?

If the backend is working smoothly, I can worry about other stuff without distraction, like marketing.

Yeah Dynadot and namesilo are top two.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back