IT.COM

Namecheap - Expiring Auctions, domains from other registrars

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tld4me

Established Member
Impact
I've seen some listings on Namecheap's expiring auctions that are for domains that are currently registered with registrars other than Namecheap. Are these legit auctions for these expiring domains?

The Namecheap auctions end about 12 hours before the domains are set to drop from their registry back into the wild.

I'm interested in participating in these auctions and possibly beating the drop of the domains and beating drop catching services at that time. I'm not however interested in bidding on domains that Namecheap doesn't actually have any ability to deliver upon winning. 12 hours doesn't seem like much time to facilitate the transfer before drop, unless Namecheap actually has deals in place with these other registrars. Or maybe there is something else I'm not aware of?

Anyone know or have experience with this? Thanks!

A random example:
htodk . xyz
current registrar: Nics Telekomunikasyon A.S.
Namecheap expiring auction ends: Feb 25, 2024 at 14:00 UTC
domain set to drop from registry: ~ Feb 26, 2024 at 02:00 UTC

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wanted to add more to this to clarify what I'm describing and asking. The domains I'm talking about are "Pending Delete" status and are not held by Namecheap.

In the example above, the auction ended on day 75 after the domain's expiration date. Does Namecheap actually have the ability to deliver a domain like this, or is the "auction" really just a bid for Namecheap to try and drop catch the name themselves when it drops?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back