IT.COM

.Name: Application of.../keywords/potential?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Have been considering a couple of .name domains and wondering if base keywords will get the same treatment in .name as in other TLD's or am I missing something. To expand on this, how do search engines handle the subdomain words ie subdomain.domain.ext? And to expand on this, what is the general thinking on .Name in general and the "creative" context that many domain marketers/developers (including myself) are applying to the ext. (--not whether right or wrong, but, rather, how effective and worthwhile?).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think enom can handle the new .names at all. For these, I went with dotster at first, then moved to domainsite because of the price.
Thanks Armstrong Quite a big savings! One problem I'm having at domainsite,however, is that I can't seem to find a way to get the third level part of the domain to stick- ie. 3rdlevelword.2ndLD.Name.
Have tried their bulk checker which comes back w/ all the default TLDs and one word .Names. Alot of the one worders that I would be interested in are gone so am working w/ both levels (word.word.name) going after the good keyword for the base word. Any thoughts on the beginning post?

Last edited:
•••
I'd imagine the 3rd level .names are indexed similar to subdomains for regular domains.

•••
I think .names are all weird. Say if i registered myname.lastname.name and then someon made a subdomain myname.lastname.name what would happen?

•••
I'd imagine the 3rd level .names are indexed similar to subdomains for regular domains

I understand that. My problem is with the form at Domain Site not accepting the 3rd level entry. (whereas Enom won't accept the single word (2ndlevel) alone w/o the first word (3rdlevel ).

I think .names are all weird. Say if i registered myname.lastname.name and then someon made a subdomain myname.lastname.name what would happen?

You lost me there, but agree w/"weird". My experience w/.name is getting weirder and weirder by the minute. :|

•••
What Christian means is the following:

Say I own a 2nd level domain, dom.name, and decide to set up a subdomain; sub.dom.name

What would happen if somebody registars the 3rd level domain as sub.dom.name?

•••
They can't do that, Darren. Once someone registers the second-level, no one can register that as a third-level registration.

•••
from nic.name faq:

What are the rules governing availability of second levels?

On the Registry's side, the rules governing the availability are (a little simplified) the following:

1. A third level domain/email is available if a) it is not already registered, and b) it does not conflict with a Defensive Registration, and c) the second level on which the third level is requested is available.
2. A second level domain is available if a) it is not already registered, and b) it does not conflict with a Premium Defensive Registration or a Standard Defensive Registration registered prior to the second level opening, and c) it is not already in use for a third level domain registration/email

If you reg dom.name, that domain is totally delegated to you, meaning for all intents and purposes it functions just like a regular .com domain. You can add/create your own 3rd level sub-domains like darren.dom.name even if darren.name is already reserved. Also, no one can register dom.somedomain.name.

•••
Exactly. But that does lend itself to thinking of offering third level domains on second-level registrations for profit! :)

•••
Thanks guys. Understood now.

Time to go .name hunting again! :laugh: I think these .name's are great!

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
Exactly. But that does lend itself to thinking of offering third level domains on second-level registrations for profit! :)

You can try, I guess. But I see two problems with this scheme:

- The .name registry was unsuccessful in selling 3rd level registrations, which is probably the most important reason they opened up the 2nd level. If they were unsuccessful, I find it unlikely that others would succeed.

- If you register, say, lewis.name, the only ones who would be interested in buying 3rd level on this name would be people called lewis. In which case, unless your name is lewis too, then your clients would have a strong case for taking lewis.name away from you.

•••
Good points, but I wasn't thinking of third-level registrations for names, like the registry originally set out to do! ;)

•••
Haha .name is making me crazy but i know right now that armstrong seems to be the expert on .name's and the one thats capitalizing on it

•••
Armstrong is .name crazy also!

I'm just wondering if the registry plans on enforcing it's "name or nickname" policy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back