Dynadot

Need proof Flippa's appraisals are downright bad?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should Flippa increase the min. number of appraisals need to earn free listings from its current 15?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
Gather around, children. I'm going to tell you a tale of utter and absolute horror beyond your wildest dreams, incubus that'll forever terrify you and make you perpetually sleep with one eye open.

But if you've survived the Green Lantern movie, I'm sure this won't be a bad read.

I've heard of Flippa appraisals in hushed tones. Given, I just recently started to sell on the platform and have never stopped to look at much else there aside from their sales listings. But after learning of their appraisals, I was intrigued to test one of my domains out. No, my story has nothing to do with my domain. In fact, it’s irrelevant to the story. The issue is quite honestly, with another domain.

Before I go on, let me say this up-front: I do not own the domain in question and my intent is not to belittle the owner or the domain in any way. This is a short, cautionary piece of writing, and it isn’t aimed at the owner of the domain or even the name itself. That said, moving on.

I love poker, namely Holdem. I seldom ever play it anymore but when I do, it’s always for money. The reason is simple: if there are no real stakes, the players feel free to do the dumbest things (seasoned players don’t play every hand, and most rounds never hit the river--sometimes, not even the turn). The quality of games is so much different when there is something on the table, a real “something” to win/lose.

The Internet is full of things like this: If there is nothing to gain or lose, people will absentmindedly venture into anything. But if there IS something to win or lose, actual thought goes into one’s decisions.

So in a way, Flippa is a better solution for a guy like me, yet the game is even better. See, you needn’t put in any chips to play at Flippa. No, there are no antes or blinds. And guess what? Every player beats the house, every time.

With Flippa, users can get a free domain listing--valued at nine bucks American--for “appraising” fifteen domains. Double-quotes are used to imply that the item within them isn’t truly what is stated. This is the case: people do not give real appraisals of a sound contemplation. The concept is simple. Spit out fifteen comments (about 250 words or less) and slap a price on it. VOILA! You’d be 1/15th of the way to a free listing. With less than 30 minutes, you could *ahem* “earn” (see the quotes again?) a free listing.

There is no thought to the appraisals. Well, otherwise that is the case or the concept of speculation is stretching a little too far. The results are an outlandish embarrassment, a travesty to the industry of domain investment.

I got looking through a list of domains open for appraisals. The stats for each are hidden unless you leave an appraisal of your own. “vpn.surf looks worthless,” I told myself. “I wonder what the community perceives it as.” I warn you right now: if you have a weak heart, stop reading this now. NP and I both are in no responsible for any seizures or heart failures that reading the below can (and likely will) cause. You’ve been warned.

I went to the page https://flippa.com/domain-appraisals/12373-vpn-surf and filled out the short form. My appraisal? $0. It could be argued to be regfee, but I think $0 is more applicable. It’s just another LLL domain (again, you could argue it has a few decent acronyms) in a new/pointless extension. Speculation, perhaps, but I see very little commercial usage for .surf. I’ve posted what I felt and clicked submit. Ha, turns out I couldn’t leave a plain $0 valuation. I instead posted a $1. After this, I was able to see the appraisals left for it. I expected to see many similar appraisals. What I found was shocking (yet not all the way unexpected). From 26 appraisals:

The mean: $1,332 (is that cardiac arrest I see from your end?); median $500 highest $5k. And this is with 26 appraisals. Sure, I’m aware that domaining is speculative. But after reading these gems, you’d be speculating too--whether or not the appraisers spent more than 3 seconds to determine a value:

“very known word vpn. extension is also good.”

Value: $999

“nice! you can cut expenses on advertising with this kind of domain.”

Value: $3,000

“Great domain name! Short, easy to remember and perfect for a vpn site”

Value: $5,000

“nice 3 letter domain both vpn and surf get lots of searches good for seo id start at 5k +”

Value: $5,000

“What a ugly name! What is vpn? What is surf? However, I like this name, it's really special!”

Value: $3,000

“name is really good, both the word and tld fits together. VPN surf :) awesome name”

Value: $3,500

Let me note that EVERYONE mentioned above is a new Flippa user. Only two others, aside from me, appraised this @ under $100. One of the two has a feedback score.

Domaining is all speculation. But really, does ANY of the above make sense? No: these were left for the purpose of inching toward a free listing. There is no value into them. I don’t think I want to appraise any more on this site unless I feel like leaving a trail of meaningless fluff to get that nifty $9 listing for free. They are forfeiting money by allowing these charades to continue. We, the users, are forfeiting our time reading through this rubbish--and worse, Flippa’s allowing for the unwarranted raising of a noob’s hopes. Perchance this is by design. After all, people would be more inclined to list their domain for sale there if he/she is given a pipedream appraisal. But isn’t quality still over quantity? If a few thousand worthless pieces of trash are listed for sale there, that would merely water down their marketplace, making them an expensive BIDO. And how would these listings be made? Likely, these people--who are too cheap to buy an appraisal--will simply attempt to appraise their way to a free domain listing. Forget free-play Holdem. The game of Flippa Appraisals has something to gain: One free appraisal, just 1/15th at a time. Flippa should RETURN quality and usability by increasing this to 100 or more. 15 is too easy to achieve, thus gaming the system isn’t even a challenge. HEY FLIPPA, I hope you heed to this. Your practice will make your site as worthless as eBay. And no serious domainer ever uses the site.

Flippa and Yahoo! Games should partner up.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Incentivized or paid appraisals always produce nonsense, especially when the appraisers are not qualified.
I think they should be scrapped, because they turn the marketplace into a joke à la Bido.

Actually, there is at least one good feature on Bido: you can see a listing of the recent sales. So people can compare "appraisals" against the reality (the market).

•••
it's not a free listing, if you have to "contribute" to get the credits

as each appraisal for any domain, adds more "content" to the site.

not to mention cost for your time, unless that's free too.

:)

imo...

•••
Appraisals, in general, are wasteful. That's true. But I see a possible downfall here. Really, the more free listing--combined with ppl believing their trash is a goldmine--equals more worthless listings. Flippa is gonna head south after awhile. It'll be "just another sales platform."

Just for a better idea, here’s a gem about qoaj.com:

“What a great name! Just 4 letters, you got a wonderful name!”

Value: $21,000

Flippa will likely be bankrupt this time in 8 months if they allow these foolish things. IF FLIPPA DOESN’T RAISE THE NUMBER, they should at least require an appraisal to be a min 50 words. There are so many cookie-cutter, obviously pasted-in, 1 sentence appraisals… one could easily tell it’s bogus. Gaming the system…

•••
Full update forthcoming, but we're long overdue to remove this credit/incentive, and it will be happening soon. Stay tuned for more.

•••
Ah yeah, I forgot to post an update to this thread. I'll do that now. Thanks :)

EDIT: I went to, but the site won't allow me to edit the OP. Damn :(

Full update forthcoming, but we're long overdue to remove this credit/incentive, and it will be happening soon. Stay tuned for more.

•••
That is great news! I look forward to it!

•••
Maybe 15-25% of the number of appraisals for a domain are relevant, the rest are just copy/paste from trolls and this should be fixed one way or another as I don't see the value for the client.

@Archangel I actually had a poker domain appraised on Flippa and the results were from $1 to $50k:-/ Good luck at the tablesB-)

•••
I'd put the # at 5%. There are a few really good ones. But the vast majority are: make up a sentence with the domain's keywords & slap on an odd bid--used to get free credits Ivy1.com, a user there, does this. With purplelocker.com, he said "Wow! What a great domain! Not red, not blue, but purple! Anyone would want to visit this site if they love purple!" And appraised at well over $xx,xxx. There are those who know nothing about domains but open their mouths, anyway I saw a guy state, "Eh... you have a random LLL.com. This is $50 at best." And still, others who don't appraise at all--they give a copy/paste "I think the value is..." with no elaboration. I'll be glad to see the appraisals-for-credits thing come to an end lol

Maybe 15-25% of the number of appraisals for a domain are relevant, the rest are just copy/paste from trolls and this should be fixed one way or another as I don't see the value for the client.

@Archangel I actually had a poker domain appraised on Flippa and the results were from $1 to $50k:-/ Good luck at the tablesB-)

•••
I haven't read this thread, I just want to add my suggestions for improvement. I have already messaged it in to the support team.

1. Instead of adding/releasing 500 domains each week in one go, I recommend you try releasing them 50 a day.

2. You still have to appraisal to unlock and 15 appraisals is fine, but if you appraise a domain that has 5+ appraisal already, it doesn't count towards your free listing.

I didn't email the next two:

3. Every domain has a chance of being on page one - domains are rotated automatically, doesn't have to be in real time but upon a refresh is fine. So every person who views the appraisal system sees a different list (same domains just ordered differently).

4. If you have less than 2 appraisals at the end of your time limit, you are allowed to post an extra one for next time.

Flippa, implement these suggestions and I'm sure this well help in that fact 80% of domains don't even get appraised properly from the 'community'.

:alien2:

Last edited:
•••
I made exact suggestions about moths ago. It is ridiculous that domains with no value have 97 appraisals and my domains had 2 in average just because the way they are displayed and suggested when appraising. Once domain has more then average number of appraisal they should go on last page so other domains get some.

•••
I know what you mean...
I once had a domain appraised on Flippa, and all was going fairly well, around the figure I was expecting... until one guy, who wasn't a newcomer, decided to appraise it for $200,000 USD, which threw the final figures into turmoil. In the end I had no idea what was right :/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back