NameSilo

.net/.com/.org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Which is better? Or is .net and .com equal?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally, I think it is closer to the style of business / commercial aspects of the name as said many times before.

i.e. If I owned allocating.com.....That would be hard to tie to a company.

Whereas, Allocating.net, well, it would clearly be a global infrastructure internet providor like uunet / globalnet / and all the others.

I wanna get a 2.5+gig pipe accross europe, allocating + network would make sense as a search term ;)

just mo

•••
I don't think it would be a stetch to put mediocre .ORG's ahead of similar quality .NET's insofar as Sales and Sales prices in the current Reseller marketplace, IMHO.
For some time now it's been my observation (and experience) that the .ORG's have been coming into their element ... while the .NET's are still attempting to find their way.
It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out ... along with some of the newer extensions (in particular, the .US, .BIZ, .INFO of similar quality). I think we're on the cusp of finding out ... in fact, may even have been finding out for a little while now. :)

•••
•••
.com is king, .net is an ugly princess & .org is a royal servant. :D

•••
Originally posted by Cyphix
.com is king, .net is an ugly princess & .org is a royal servant. :D

Beautious!
26 NP$'s en route. :)

•••
lol, got your NP CH, ta! :)

•••
•••
.com = more professional, for companies, etc. I personally love .org's but you can't sell things on .org extensions

•••
I think .com is better all round. Unless you have a UK business and want a .co.uk domain. .net are ok, i supose, but .com is worth more.......

•••
I prefer .net, but then again i'm looking to get a .net for a personal site, so i'm guessing if i wanted to get a domain for a comercial/business site .com would be better. more important sounding.

BUT that said i think that the .com generation are like yesterdays generation...if you get what i mean. Like, the "dot com generation " are now twenty somethings with mundane office jobs/small projects online as hobbies. I definately think it's time for the .net generation.
I also prefer.org to .com

•••
.com -they're worth more thus more $$$ (some at secondary price) and limited.

However, for personal sites -non commercial, etc. -I feel .net and .org are equal.

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by K_atherine
.com = more professional, for companies, etc. I personally love .org's but you can't sell things on .org extensions

Actually, I believe you can sell things on .org extensions. I think it's stated in ICANN that .org extentions are unrestricted just like .com and .net but it was intended for non-profit organizations. It's just not restricted to it being non-profit.

However, since most of the general population believes that .org extentions are only for non-profit organizations, when someone use a .org to sell things, they tend to frown upon it.

*Note: Don't quote me on this, I could have some facts mixed up.

•••
I prefer .com then .net then .org...com sounds more..professional and original.

•••
.org and .net are getting to be more popular only because the .com pickings are SLIM. 5+ years ago we wouldn't be giving these extensions much thought (with a few exceptions...sex.net, money.net, etc). IMHO

ST

•••
It all depends on the domain. Some .net's or .org's can be very valuable, but usually the .com's are worth a lot more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back