NameSilo

.net .NET - The Discussion and Showcase Thread!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Ok, its been a while since I've seen the good 'ol .NET get some decent recognition! :)
Let's try to bring this "bad boy" into spotlight as I believe there are still some great names left in this TLD!
Anyone still believe in .NET? :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do you think ccTLDs are eating into the .net piece of the cake? Most of the important ones are around for quite a while.

•••
Do you think ccTLDs are eating into the .net piece of the cake? Most of the important ones are around for quite a while.

It depends. In some countries, usage of their ccTLD's is ubiquitous and in most all cases, they would rather have keyword.ccTLD than keyword.net. The US is obviously it's own animal.

ccTLD is not a "hype". Many, many marketers prefer targeted, local traffic to "global" traffic. Many websites and end-users don't sell globally- they sell locally and have no problem building on a ccTLD.
Further, people are just now starting to wake up to the fact that ccTLD provides an actual search engine advantage, which in the year 2010 and beyond, will play a substantial role in "domain name value". I believe DN value going forward will be based more on the hard-skill quantifiable stuff- what can this domain name do for the bottom line of my business- and less on the organic, gushy, qualitative stuff. Search engines (or maybe apps) will be a play a role here.

As far as .us, obviously, no one can predict the future and there's a lot of upcoming vibration in the TLD landscape which may or may not change the game, however, I'm betting that .us fits into the future much better than it ever did in the past. It won't ever be .com, but I think it will get a lot more comfortable in it's own skin that it's been so far. It may remain in the backwaters forever, but I'm placing my bets heavily against that. As far as development, they are absolute GOLD for targeting US traffic.

Last edited:
•••
Heads up - not my sale but I thought it would add to the discussion... Wildlife.net is at sedo auction now with a $6k start.. Not bad :gl:

•••
^ would rather have the .org ^

•••
^^ We're talking about .net domains in this thread

:wave:

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

... but to me I think it's a tossup, of course wildlife.org seem more appropriate for the subject matter. That doesn't automatically make if more valuable IMO.
-

•••
RealEstate.net sold for $750k a couple of years ago....
Wasn't it 300K ?

ccTLDs may be a "hot" trend right now, but only because the big guys have decided to hype them; a year ago, most ccTLDs were considered inferior (except a few like .de, which have always been stable and well-revered in its home country). Why the sudden pumping of ccTLDs? One has to wonder...
Why ? Because many (US) domainers are only starting to realize the popularity of ccTLDs. In some parts of the world they are more popular than .com and have been for years.
I began investing in ccTLDs years ago. Actually my first landrush was .ca back in 2000.

Anyway, I would say .net has stagnated somehow, the LLL.net have tanked too. 5 years ago they would sell for more - if memory serves me well.

•••
^^ We're talking about .net domains in this thread

Right- simply pointing out that the TLD hierarchy which still remains fixed in some domainers heads is bogus. You furnished an irresistible example of that. Would rather have "laptops.net", would rather have "Wildlife.org". Obviously, Federer bought it in a drop auction so he was just exercising an available opportunity and unless he overbid, I'm sure he'll come out OK, but the TLD desirability is appropriate for the context here.

but to me I think it's a tossup, of course wildlife.org seem more appropriate for the subject matter. That doesn't automatically make if more valuable IMO.

I do think 'the TLD being 'more appropriate for the subject matter' does indeed make one TLD more valuable than the other. Of course, the only way to know for certain would be to auction "SaveTheWhales.net" and "SaveTheWhales.org" side by side and see which one brought the most money, but I know which one of the two I would be betting on.

Last edited:
•••
Wildlife.net

Heads up - not my sale but I thought it would add to the discussion... Wildlife.net is at sedo auction now with a $6k start.. Not bad :gl:

That's right :)

.COM is the ultimate extension, without a shadow of a doubt. But 75% of my sales to end users over the past year have been keyword.net domains. I actually make a good living investing in, as well as selling .NET domains to end users. .NET keywords are great for end users as they cannot always afford the .com (which may not even be available). Almost every day I sell names to end users, most actually value .net right next to .com - a few examples of names I have sold:

iPhotos.net - $7,000 (cost under $80)
Wildlife.net - $6,000 (currently at sedo auction)
EMRSoftware.net - $700 (cost under $80)
HeatTreat.net - $650 (cost reg fee)
LawnAerators.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
Aptos.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
DreamHotel.net - €400 (cost reg fee)
Sheba.net - $1,000 (cost under $80)
LiftEquipment.net - $600 (cost reg fee)
LimosForSale.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
BakingEquipment.net - $900 (cost under $80)
NutritionSoftware.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
BookDistributors.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
BusinessEmail.net - $600 (cost under $80)
TexasElectricity.net - $200 (cost reg fee)
Sieve.net - $600 (cost under $80)
Rooibos.net - $360 (cost reg fee)
Aerials.net - $900 (cost under $80)
MobilityScooters.net - $1,500 (cost under $80)
DriverJobs.net - $500 (cost under $80)
BakeryEquipment.net - $1,400 (cost under $80)
RingBinders.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
FreeDatingService.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
AdultCostumes.net - $410 (cost reg fee)
Airbrushes.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
CuttingBoards.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
BathSalt.net - $500 (cost under $80)
Illusions.net - $6,800
Tequila.net - $1,500 (cost under $80)
CheapTravels.net - $1,000 (cost under $80)
Ares.net - $21,500

The key is to not aim to high. Remember that a trainload of little sales add up fast.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats Federer. Thanks for sharing.
Have you ever convinced an end-user who prefered .com to buy .net ?
If so, Share how you handled it with us.
That's right :)

.COM is the ultimate extension, without a shadow of a doubt. But 75% of my sales to end users over the past year have been keyword.net domains. I actually make a good living investing in, as well as selling .NET domains to end users. .NET keywords are great for end users as they cannot always afford the .com (which may not even be available). Almost every day I sell names to end users, most actually value .net right next to .com - a few examples of names I have sold:

iPhotos.net - $7,000 (cost under $80)
Wildlife.net - $6,000 (currently at sedo auction)
EMRSoftware.net - $700 (cost under $80)
HeatTreat.net - $650 (cost reg fee)
LawnAerators.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
Aptos.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
DreamHotel.net - €400 (cost reg fee)
Sheba.net - $1,000 (cost under $80)
LiftEquipment.net - $600 (cost reg fee)
LimosForSale.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
BakingEquipment.net - $900 (cost under $80)
NutritionSoftware.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
BookDistributors.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
BusinessEmail.net - $600 (cost under $80)
TexasElectricity.net - $200 (cost reg fee)
Sieve.net - $600 (cost under $80)
Rooibos.net - $360 (cost reg fee)
Aerials.net - $900 (cost under $80)
MobilityScooters.net - $1,500 (cost under $80)
DriverJobs.net - $500 (cost under $80)
BakeryEquipment.net - $1,400 (cost under $80)
RingBinders.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
FreeDatingService.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
AdultCostumes.net - $410 (cost reg fee)
Airbrushes.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
CuttingBoards.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
BathSalt.net - $500 (cost under $80)
Illusions.net - $6,800
Tequila.net - $1,500 (cost under $80)
CheapTravels.net - $1,000 (cost under $80)
Ares.net - $21,500

The key is to not aim to high. Remember that a trainload of little sales add up fast.

•••
I have the following dot net domains in my profile.
Currently they are all parked. I am yet to develop a dot net.
I may try a couple of these

BirminghamFlight.net
BristolFlight.net
BudapestFlight.net
EdinburghFlight.net
GlasgowFlight.net

HalifaxNS.net

MiniCruise.net
PullOff.net
QuantumDot.net
TeenRoom.net
CapeGooseberry.net
Recognizant.net
Recognization.net
Refereeing.net

SolutionJeux.net

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely agree.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Also agree on this...especially the stability and global value of .NET! :)

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Very nice catch as usual gemstar...how much? :)

Low$$$ :wave:

•••
•••
I own some decent one word .net's and strongly believe in this tld.. Sold soo many one word .net's for high $xxxx price as well.

I currently have few listed below:

Dont.net
Acey.net
Leh.net
Compressive.net

•••
•••
•••
I own some decent one word .net's and strongly believe in this tld.. Sold soo many one word .net's for high $xxxx price as well.

I currently have few listed below:

Dont.net
Acey.net
Leh.net
Compressive.net

Welcome Dont.NET! :wave: ...great names. :)

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

It depends on keywords.
Personally, I like high quality/high value keywords .net domains.
Some of them do have decent quality traffic.

e.g. Parking stats of one of my .net domains.

:)

How did I miss that?! ...and its from my beloved PARKED.COM! :) Nice! :sold:
I think nobody can question the parking potential of .NET's anymore! :tu:

Last edited:
•••
I think nobody can question the parking potential of .NET's anymore! :tu:

We can't determine anything from that unless he posts the name.
It could have a ton of old development, or perhaps its a Top 0.00001% type name in a lucrative PPC industry (Like, CreditCards.net or Forex.net)

.nets generally suck parked unless they're just really, really, really good and I'm hard pressed to even think of a .net that might bang down that kind of revenue parked that isn't absolutely epic (Sex.net).

Schilling once said that Mortgages.org got one unique a day...

Last edited:
•••
perhaps its a Top 0.00001% type name in a lucrative PPC industry (Like, CreditCards.net or Forex.net)

Yes, it's a generic/highly targeted name in top lucrative PPC niche. Very similar to your examples.

•••
Yes, it's a generic/highly targeted name in top lucrative PPC niche. Very similar to your examples.

Still doesnt beat the fact that it's a valuable .net domain, dongsman has a habit of poking his nose into everything just like he did in one of the other threads earlier..

•••

I think I know it...but promise to keep it to myself! :)

•••
Still doesnt beat the fact that it's a valuable .net domain, dongsman has a habit of poking his nose into everything just like he did in one of the other threads earlier..

I have no idea what you're 'emphasizing' here, so I'll just chalk it up to English probably isn't your first language...

Of course there are valuable .net domains... I don't think anyone ever said there weren't.

I was simply pointing out that in order to generate that kind of revenue parked, it would have to be in the top-top-top-top-top-top-top minuscule percentage of keywords... And I'm much better at remembering avatars than I am screen names- now that I see who this is in reference to, if I'm not mistaken, he actually owns credit/card/net, so I'd guess that's the name in question.

A name like that is light years away from almost all other names. People would be idiotic to make the mistake of comparing the apples that are ".net names in general" to the Planet Saturn of a .net name that is "Credit/Card".

There are- what... About 12.000.000 .net names registered?
I'd guess less than 100 .nets perform like that parked, and "Credit/Card" would be one of those 100.

Last edited:
•••
I just removed the traffic/revenue stats screenshot to avoid misleading about the parking capability of general .net domains. Maybe my domain is an exception in this case.

I agree that .net is undervalued at the moment. A certain percentage of end users like .net and would like to use it for serious business. However, I do partly second Dongsman's opinions that generally .net hardly has good traffic and parking revenue which determines .net's low resell value. You have to sell to end users to generate good ROI. Personally I would stay away from general .net domains and my personal favorites are highly targeted .net domains.

•••
We can't determine anything from that unless he posts the name.
It could have a ton of old development, or perhaps its a Top 0.00001% type name in a lucrative PPC industry (Like, CreditCards.net or Forex.net)

.nets generally suck parked unless they're just really, really, really good and I'm hard pressed to even think of a .net that might bang down that kind of revenue parked that isn't absolutely epic (Sex.net).

Schilling once said that Mortgages.org got one unique a day...

Parking does suck.Develope the name!
My domains
eMovie.org
iUSA.net
probably gets more uniques than the .com

P.S
Can you get any llll.net these days better than iUSA.net? Reg 1995

•••
Parking does suck.Develope the name!
My domains
eMovie.org
iUSA.net
probably gets more uniques than the .com

P.S
Can you get any llll.net these days better than iUSA.net? Reg 1995

NICE! :) ...are those your self made landers?

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

I just removed the traffic/revenue stats screenshot to avoid misleading about the parking capability of general .net domains. Maybe my domain is an exception in this case.

I agree that .net is undervalued at the moment. A certain percentage of end users like .net and would like to use it for serious business. However, I do partly second Dongsman's opinions that generally .net hardly has good traffic and parking revenue which determines .net's low resell value. You have to sell to end users to generate good ROI. Personally I would stay away from general .net domains and my personal favorites are highly targeted .net domains.

When did you get the name owntype?

•••
Hello guys, can anyone tell me how to coninvce end users to buy a .net domain name?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back