Dynadot

New GoDaddy closeouts pricing - Will you still buy as usual?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

With the new $9 to $5 Godaddy closeout pricing will you buy as many domains as usual?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    37.5%
  • No

votes
    62.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

As you may know Godaddy changed their closeout section pricing.
Instead of being $5 each (or $4 each if you buy at least 5 domains) their prices now start at $9 and go up to $5 (a dutch auction that decreases $1 per day).

This means that you will pay around twice as much if you buy a domain the same days it goes to the closeout list.

For me it means I will buy a lot less domains from them, sometimes I bought some domains I wasn't REALLY interested just to get $5 pack discount. 5 domains would cost me $20 plus renewal fees, and they will now cost me $45 (plus VAT that I have to pay).

Resuming: I will not buy as many domains as in the past, what about you? Please vote.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I was shocked by this today...unfortunately I see myself going for the $9 domains once they move from expiring to closeout. Damn you GoDaddy!!

•••
The dutch auction may depress closeout name quality by causing better borderline names to attract $10 expiring bids due to the new risk/reward of waiting for closeout, but other forces continue to drive good names thru the cracks - Verisign reg fee bumps, Freshdrop GD expiring tool no longer free, macro economic weakness... I voted no - change is constant, roll with the punches.

•••
It becomes a tad more nerve-wracking, that's all. All you got to do is wait out the five days and buy them at the same price as before. I'll be buying as before. OK. I might lose a couple on the way down to $5, but that's ok.

•••
It becomes a tad more nerve-wracking, that's all. All you got to do is wait out the five days and buy them at the same price as before. I'll be buying as before. OK. I might lose a couple on the way down to $5, but that's ok.

Exactly...if you didn't want to to jump in at $10 to ensure ownership before, then this change shouldn't be that major. Just going to require some more time/money management.

•••
I can tell you that since then I haven't bought a single one, have gone another way. And I've bought hundreds and hundreds of closeout domains in the past.
Maybe I'll take a look again, but in these last weeks I haven't went there a single time.

•••
I bid the $9 and got 1 last week, was one where it was the singular of the plural version I already own so I wanted it plus it joins a set of 11 other similar domains I own, it popped into my account last night so yes I will pay the $9 on ones that I really like, if it's not a gotta have domain I may wait until it drops but I think on most I will just pull the trigger early as I have zero patience when it comes to acquisitions and $9 over $5 isn't a deal breaker, selling I can wait years but buying if I'm interested gotta have it now.

Last edited:
•••
I won't be buying "as many", but I have bought a few at $9/8/7.

From another point of view, I have seen a few names drop from 9 to 5, and then decided NOT to buy it at 5 because nobody else was interested in it....

hehehe, it's a catch-22 because if anyone is interested, they would scoop it before it gets to 5 :o

Reminds me of the Yogism:

"That restaurant is too crowded so nobody goes there any more..."

•••
Of course that if we see something we like we will buy it asap, my idea was just buying as usual.
I used to buy dozens of domains per month, because each domain would cost me around $12.3 each (renewal included). Now good closeout domains will cost me at $9 + $1.8 (VAT) + $7.5 of renewal (something like that, depending on the coupon) = $18.3 , almost 50% more, too much on my idea.
I stopped buying the less than good domains that I usually bought at GD auctions just to make 5 domain packs (closeout price for each would drop from $5 to $4).

•••
for me godaddy has never been something where I have bought in mass quantity, I usually have a stalk list and then go grab the godaddy ones there when they hit expiration, I can see how it might effect you though if you do pull down that many a month, comparing to snapnames or namejet whether I see 1 or 50 I like I'll take $9 over the other options, I don't get hit with (VAT) so I guess that makes this new pricing even worse from your end.

Last edited:
•••
Coupons, you still get the $1 discount if you buy 5 domains, whether they're at $5 or $9, or any amount in between.

•••
I had the idea that they would keep the group discount, I just haven't checked with them since, a 100% expense raise (almost, taking in account that I will pay VAT on a higher price) just wasn't on my plans.

I also asked many times when would we resellers would have TDNAM / GD Auctions access through our accounts, not Godaddy, but never received a reply, one other reason to use them less than I used to.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back