Dynadot

discuss Newbies: From 1 to 10, What is your level of confidence?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
If you are a newbie, how confident are you that you will be sucessful in this industry?

Where is your confidence from 1 to 10?

Feel free to comment on why you are confident or why you are not.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Confidence is still based on the limitations of knowledge acquired. A newbie who is 100% confident with 12% knowledge is in reality only 12% confident. Some one how is 25% confident based on that knowledge is just 3% confident. It will hard for newbies to digest; much of the names they register are worthless. The industry has not matured enough to stop them from doing so. For a newbie, unless there is divine intervention or a will to learn as much as they can in a short amount of time, time is their best teacher.

•••
50% confidence

I am totally puzzled on how to choose what domain to buy. It seems many forum members are looking for speculative bubbles where my knowledge is close to zero. They buy at significant prices (or sometimes at highly distressed prices) and are ready to bet.

For the moment, I am only looking at unregistered or very low purchase price domains. Chances are only geo domains will be available and the margins are going to be low. But this 'little guy strategy' seems easier to implement.

•••
Okay, here the deal with confidence. - You can't have enough confidence as a measuring value unless you don't know the timeline in which you will be able to sell the domain name, at whatever prices. Unless you are buying a name to start your own company, you must know the time frame in which to sell the name. You must narrow down possible buyers who will buy your name. The registering and waiting game is a bad bad strategy.

If you are new in the business, you won't know enough to be able to register new names and then anticipate selling them for unrealistic prices. Most of your money will go down the drain.

Visit sites like Namejet, Godaddy auctions, Flippa and buy established names with some type of traffic, pagerank and back-links.

Domainers live in an insular world. They create their own fantasy universe in which they seem to own the best names with crazy valuations.

If a newbie has priced a certain name in the portfolio for $1000, let's assume. They should then offer it for $25, just to see if there are any takers. If none, then, they will know what they are doing wrong.

•••
I would say 95%, even I am new to this..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back