IT.COM

Overture & Google

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is it just me that thinks Overture and Google are misused when selling or valuing a domain?

I keep seeing things like, "it gets 700 on Overture", 700 What?

If you take Fraudster.Net (for example, 1 of my domains)

It gets 63 hits on overture searching for "fraudster"

Big fat Zero when searching for Fraudster.Net

Google returns hits of over 20,000.

My point is that 20K hits is good but it does not mean if I develop that site I will get 20k visitors, So using the hits on Google and overture should be a guide more than anything else as to how many people use that key word. Not as to how many visitors the site will attract.

I am mising something obvious here or I am right in this method of thinking.

I purchased Widths.com recently and it returns hits of over 600,000 on google, I dont expect it to be worth thousands just becuase of that.

I think too many people put to much emphasis on this.

IMHO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
should not

u should not rely on just google and overture. it is best to check various sources to confirm it. And also many sites tell us to not place an opinion on solely one source.

•••
It is VITAL that you make your own decisions based on MANY different sources when buying domain names. And that is not enough as you should also ask yourself the question WHO would buy this domain name and WHY should he do it.

•••
Good question wise.

Overture numbers and Google numbers for a term will not indicate that your site will receive traffic. (Except ovt numbers w/extension, that's a different story, see here)

Google results for a term should only be used to judge the demand for a term, how popular it is, and how a term compares to other terms.

You can use Google and Overture to see if there is a demand or common use of a term, which can help you determine the usability of a domain.

You should not expect a domain to get type-ins based on the number of Google results for the term. Traffic to a site is determined by your marketing plan. Having a good domain for your site's purpose is only part of the overall scheme in building a high traffic site. Most domains do not have traffic on their own.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back