NameSilo

news People are forgetting .com exists — ICANN survey

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Have you ever heard of .com, .net and .org?
That question was posed to 3,349 domain name registrants in 24 countries by market research firm Nielsen this June and guess what — awareness of all three cornerstone gTLDs was down on a comparable 2015 survey.
Equally unbelievably, awareness of .net and .org fell from 76% to 69% and from 70% to 65% respectively between 2015 and 2016, the survey found.
While the number of respondents were measured in the low thousands, the idea is that they provide a representative sample of all internet users and domain name registrants.
The surveys did not only cover awareness and registration patterns. There are literally hundreds of data points in there covering different perceptions of TLDs new and old. I’ve just focused here on the ones that made me question whether the survey was worth the time, expense and paper it was written on...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have noticed that recently Mr Jim's pizza has started marketing their website as mrjims.pizza. The search result on Google is the new tld and it's even displayed on their pizza boxes now.

Even so, it still redirects to the .com version when I click on the link. I was a little surprised by that. Maybe they just have not developed the new site and it's still a work in progress, who knows...

•••
I don't think the survey is credible. Look into the details.

Basically 95% of consumers are aware of .com but only 85% of registrants. Since when registrants aren't consumers? You can't have registrants being less aware than consumers.

Problem 1.

39% of registrants claim to be aware of .email.

Personally I have heard of .email only once. Wouldn't even be sure if it really exists.

But 39% of registrants have heard of .email?

Problem 2.

Many registrants claim to be aware of TLDs like .cairo and .bogota

These don't exist.

Problem 3.

Only 25% of Americans claim to have heard of .news but 42% of Asians. Really?

You would expect that an english language extension would get most exposure in English speaking countries not in Asia where it is unlikely to be used.

Problem 4.

So I would say this a garbage survey which doesn't tell us anything about what is really going on.

Possibly a desperate attempt to make an unsuccessful program look better.
"Since when registrants aren't consumers" your answers is to go back and read the article again. And if your are an English speaking, there is no excuse for you.

•••
Let's compare new gTLDs to the following legacy TLDs .com, .net, .org (based on the ICANN survey I previously mentioned):

in 2016: 16% of people know about gTLDs.
in 2016: 95% of people know about .com and 89% of people know about the legacy TLDs .com, .net, .org.

in 2016: 12% of people will visit a new GTLD site.
in 2016: 81% of people will visit a legacy TLD (com, net, org).

awareness.png

in 2016: 45% of people trust the new gTLDs.
in 2016: 91% of people trust legacy TLDs.

trust.png
Ok ok ok, you get a credit for showing us these current datas this is true. It is also true that these datas will eventually will fade when familiarization kicks in. Worthless..

Last edited:
•••
•••
It is also true that these datas will eventually be fade when familiarization kicks in. Worthless..

Awareness (familiarity) is growing each year with a few %, no doubt. But based on the results of that survey people are actually visiting less gTLDs this year compared to last year and trust in gTLDs is going down as well. Trust in the new G's was 49% last year, it is 45% this year. So it seems the more people get to know the gTLDs the less they visit and trust them. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue ;)

Last edited:
•••
Awareness (familiarization) is growing each year with 1-2 %. But based on the results of that survey people are actually visiting less gTLDs this year compared to last year and trust in gTLDs is going down as well. Trust in the new G's was 49% last year, it is 45% this year. So it seems the more people get to know the gTLDs the less they visit and trust them. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue ;)
Bram, how old are you?

•••
•••
•••
I don't foresee the new TLDs in general becoming "familiar" to the public. Not in a flattering way, at least. Except for a handful (probably less) of big companies, where it might make sense and the string is not completely overrun with spam/phishing sites.

I wouldn't be so confident about the number of registrations at any of the nGTLDS just because they have high numbers. Most seem to offer more opportunities for exploits than anything else....

Last edited:
•••
I'm an old fashion and I hate change; give it time.

•••
The desperation when people put hope into this ridiculous survey.

Stuff like:
15% don't even know .com exists? How are you on the internet and haven't noticed .com.

Or heard of extensions that don't actually exist.

"But there’s a lot of weirdness in the numbers."

•••
So, the conclusion is the registrant from those 24 countries are from another planet. I am so surprised!

•••
So, the conclusion is the registrant from those 24 countries are from another planet. I am so surprised!

No the conclusion is that garbage surveys are worthless but useful if you want to make a failed program seem successful.

•••
40 per cent of web users reported feeling less secure online since the introduction of the domains

87 per cent said they do not feel very comfortable browsing the new domains.

https://whodoyou.trust/news--events...-express-security-concerns-with-new-internet/

https://whodoyou.trust/news--events...he-new-internet-survey-2016-discussion-paper/

Awareness (familiarity) is growing each year with a few %, no doubt. But based on the results of that survey people are actually visiting less gTLDs this year compared to last year and trust in gTLDs is going down as well. Trust in the new G's was 49% last year, it is 45% this year. So it seems the more people get to know the gTLDs the less they visit and trust them. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue ;)

I don't foresee the new TLDs in general becoming "familiar" to the public. Not in a flattering way, at least. Except for a handful (probably less) of big companies, where it might make sense and the string is not completely overrun with spam/phishing sites.

I wouldn't be so confident about the number of registrations at any of the nGTLDS just because they have high numbers. Most seem to offer more opportunities for exploits than anything else....

•••
People keep blaming on one thing they don't like; this is lame. There is zero "trust" and "safe" everywhere this including at your own home. Criminals will used anything to commit crimes. Catch the real criminals that did the actual act. Don't blamed the New gTLDs, if you don't like them simply don't have them. Old and new gTLDs make sense if they connect well with your business. Criminal don't make sense, and new gTLDs does.

Last edited:
•••
Gtlds are like over produced baseball cards. Frank shilling just dropped thousands but he didn't drop thousands of his .coms That should be a sign right there. When i talk to people out side of the domain world the have no idea what a .horse or .cloud is. But they know what .com and .net are

•••

I'd rather have Plumbing.link for $8 bucks

-Frank Schilling

A plumber doesn't own that domain. Guess who does? :)

https://gwhois.org/plumbing.link+dns

Gtlds are like over produced baseball cards. Frank shilling just dropped thousands but he didn't drop thousands of his .coms That should be a sign right there. When i talk to people out side of the domain world the have no idea what a .horse or .cloud is. But they know what .com and .net are

•••
Last edited:
•••
Ah icann always with their digit on the fuzzily relevant Mktg data. Post this at noobshark.com!

•••
The surveys found, for example, that 95% of consumers knew about .com, but only 85% of registrants did.

That's because 85% of registrants today are registering GTLDs. If you ask them if they've heard of dot com, they'll not only deny it, they'll deny dot com exists just to support their investment thesis.

This thread is a magnet for the GTLD crowd is probably what keeps hopes alive.... I'm wondering if "Dot Com Denial" is the domain industry equivalent to the mainstream phenomenon of "Climate Change Denial".

Last edited:
•••
Those are mostly uneducated people who doesn't care about internet and they will never ever buy a domain from an investor ;)

•••
That's because 85% of registrants today are registering GTLDs. If you ask them if they've heard of dot com, they'll not only deny it, they'll deny dot com exists just to support their investment thesis.

This thread is a magnet for the GTLD crowd is probably what keeps hopes alive.... I'm wondering if "Dot Com Denial" is the domain industry equivalent to the mainstream phenomenon of "Climate Change Denial".

GTLDs are Generic Top level Domains they are quite different for New GTLDs which is New Generic Top Level Domains.
I hope you mean to say NewGTLds.

.com, .net .org, .info and more are GTLDs. NGTLDs are new extensions on release presently.

Well as an investor, you are free to go for what you like. Simple. If you like go for unknown tomorrow and if you like go for what had already been establish.
You may stick to speculation and forget about steady brand which is .com

Last edited:
•••
It will be nearly impossible for the .com to fade away. The nGTLDs are fashion domains. They are good as an extension of a brand. They represent a very low percentage of a companies main/direct site.

I agree if you haven't heard of .com, then you haven't been acquainted with the internet. Simple.

•••
One of the worst thread titles ever...I mean...please.

•••
The best survey is NP's domain sales thread. Look up how many recent sales are GTLDs vs .com.

Ignore everything else.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back