Dynadot

news People are forgetting .com exists — ICANN survey

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Have you ever heard of .com, .net and .org?
That question was posed to 3,349 domain name registrants in 24 countries by market research firm Nielsen this June and guess what — awareness of all three cornerstone gTLDs was down on a comparable 2015 survey.
Equally unbelievably, awareness of .net and .org fell from 76% to 69% and from 70% to 65% respectively between 2015 and 2016, the survey found.
While the number of respondents were measured in the low thousands, the idea is that they provide a representative sample of all internet users and domain name registrants.
The surveys did not only cover awareness and registration patterns. There are literally hundreds of data points in there covering different perceptions of TLDs new and old. I’ve just focused here on the ones that made me question whether the survey was worth the time, expense and paper it was written on...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It would be interesting to see more details about the methodology used.
Depending on how you ask the question, you can get answers that are all over the place. Especially if you ask directed questions.
Apparently there are many inconsistencies, as if the respondents were themselves confused and didn't understand the questions.
ie:
For example, 39% of registrants claimed to have heard of .email domain names and 15% claimed to have actually registered one.
This led to findings such as: 26% of Africans have heard of .cairo, 17% of North Americans have heard of .toronto and 21% of South Americans have heard of .bogota.
None of those city TLDs exist.
Dickinson explained this as “assumed familiarity”.
Of course, there is a huge gap between being familiar or aware of a TLD, and actually wanting to buy one.

•••
I am sure there are many people aware of cubic zirconia also...

•••
For example, 39% of registrants claimed to have heard of .email domain names and 15% claimed to have actually registered one.

How does this statement make any sense? 15% of registrants claimed to have registered an .email domain

There is a total of 55k .email domains in the world. If 15% of registrants own one we must have millions of .email domains. It doesn't add up at all.

Perhaps they thought they were asked if they had set-up an email address or something like that.

•••
Thank you for his article!

I like particularly the part saying that
"
This led to findings such as: 26% of Africans have heard of .cairo, 17% of North Americans have heard of .toronto and 21% of South Americans have heard of .bogota.

None of those city TLDs exist."

That indicates that clearly lot of people start to think in terms of new gTLDs..they know there are some city TLDs like .LONDON or .PARIS, so they start assuming there will be naturally other city TLDs as well. Imagine what would be in few years when awareness will be greater. Not good news for our naysayers :(

•••
Thank you for his article!

I like particularly the part saying that
"

None of those city TLDs exist."

That indicates that clearly lot of people start to think in terms of new gTLDs..they know there are some city TLDs like .LONDON or .PARIS, so they start assuming there will be naturally other city TLDs as well. Imagine what would be in few years when awareness will be greater. Not good news for our naysayers :(

To me that simply makes me wonder how distorted the data of that survey really is.

•••
Well, you know the joke..there are 4 categories of lies :
1. Small lie
2. Big lie
3. Super Big lie
4. Statistics
:)
But I do not think we should say that some survey is distorted, just because we do not like what it says..

•••
1. Small lie
2. Big lie
3. Super Big lie
4. Statistics

Wasn't it "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" ? ;)

•••
•••
I dont believe the survey...
You can check for yourself- the number of domains and sites operating on .com and other extensions...

The results cannot be precise as they were done on a few participants and we all know how big is the domaining community..

If they want to do a survey,they should come here on NP:laugh:

•••
How is it possible that a registrant that most probably registered their domain name at a .com website not have heard of .com?

I will guess there was more than one survey taken and this one fits the icann agenda and bias Towards new gtlds.

•••
•••
It reminds me all the smartwatch hype. The big companies created all that hype and focus a lot of resource on marketing about these smartwatches just 3-4 years ago.
Then they realized almost instantly that was going to be a huge flop. What did the big companies (Apple, Samsung, Huawei) do? They started to give them away for free together with some smartphone/tablet models. I personally bought a Samsung phone (a high-end model) and received after few days a $200 smartwatch for free. It was a limited-time giveaway campaign, so they incentivated somehow the phones/tablets sales.
Then after the giveaway campaign closed, we buyers had this smartwatch. We tried to use it, few found it interesting and happy, most of the buyers started to flood the used market with them.
At this point, the big companies started an aggressive ad-campaign, hired some famous testimonials etc. You can easily figure out the interest in smartwatch increased drastically, with a lot of sales in the used market, a lot of sales regarding original accessories and, why not, also an increment of sales about new models, with faster cpu, bigger displays, better functions.
This renewed interest lasted for few weeks, then again dropped down.
And the cycle have been repeated, free giveaway with phones, used marked flooded, ad-campaigns etc.

That's because the companies invested money and resources in them, and can't afford a complete flop. It's quite frequent, in business and economy, flood the market with a "fake" supply demand.
("fake" = not genuine but incentivated by the companies themselves)

Am i the only one seeing a similarity with what's happening in domaining with all these new gTLDs?

Last edited:
•••
That's because the companies invested money and resources in them, and can't afford a complete flop. It's quite frequent, in business and economy, flood the market with a "fake" supply demand.
("fake" = not genuine but incentivated by the companies themselves)

Yes right. One way to hype is to sponsor studies or surveys that claim there is demand. It's more credible if you sponsor a survey showing what you want it to show instead of claiming we are first.

Another way to create hype is to feed the media lots of irrelevant news. We see the new extensions in the news almost every day but rarely in the sales charts.

If they are so popular, where are the sales?

•••
How is it possible that a registrant that most probably registered their domain name at a .com website not have heard of .com?

I will guess there was more than one survey taken and this one fits the icann agenda and bias Towards new gtlds.

I wonder if this was an email survey or a website survey. Regardless of what it was i wonder what the extension of the email address or the website was? ;)

Must have been .org, .net or probably .com

Despite that only 85% or less had heard of .com, .net, .org.

Also I don't buy it that someone who owns a domain and must have spent more than a few hours on the internet never saw a .com in his life. It's like saying they never visited google or facebook.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
1. Small lie
2. Big lie
3. Super Big lie
4. Statistics
But I do not think we should say that some survey is distorted, just because we do not like what it says..
There are more domainers on this forum registering domains alone then that survey coevred. Not to mention doesnt that company pay sites like swagbucks to send them people interested in taking itand being paid to rush through anyways for a few dollars.

•••
My biggest issue is that domainers were included in the survey, if it was done with people who only have 1 or 2 names registered it would be more accurate.
Lets say it was cars people buy
and car salesman were the participants what is your favorite car
chevy
Toyota
Nissan
ford.
surely the sales people would click the cars they owned and resell, and not the endusers(drivers)
so being there are so many salesman included in this poll it would be skewed.
Joe T

•••
Erm....

If you have not heard of, or are unaware of dot com then you are simply ignorant. And highly likely too, that your business will fail.

What a stupid survey and a complete waste of time.

•••
If I remember correctly there was also a survey that concluded the UK would leave Europe....yes that is right...Europe.

Well, we are not going to lift this island up and move it anywhere....thanks. :)

•••
Looks like the kind of numerology that ICANN management likes to justify their salaries. Doesn't really apply to the real world.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Further global survey is needed to understand better.

•••
Although there has been many new sites that have launched using new gTLDS, there's also a market for redirects and advertising.
The problem with redirects and URL shorteners, people don't pay attention to them.

•••
The problem with redirects and URL shorteners, people don't pay attention to them.
Another side of this gtld-blindness is that users don't pay attention to the TLD of a big brand name. This is why the use of a gTLD by a big brand is far less important than its use by Mom and Pop businesses.

Regards...jmcc

•••
it's always worth mixing it up a bit. The benefit of the new TLD's is there is more availability for single worded domains which are highly targeted. .com is still in my opinion the everyman TLD, it's what people think of when they think about website extensions generally. I'm always skeptical about statistics especially when the sample size is so small and specific. On a different day with different people, the result would be different so take it with a pinch of salt. There are some bizarre new TLD's that i don't think will ever get much exposure and some maybe given their keyword and natural target ie: .store or .game for example could be more beneficial, but it's really early days still. Convincing an end user to go with a new TLD over an already recognized .com or geo extension is going to be a hard sell, unless you're talking about a very niche or specifically targeted product which appeals to people who possibly may be aware of new TLD's or at least have an element of trust around them.

•••

I don't disagree with you on that point but I do agree with the quote in the article.

"it’s not as beneficial as stand-alone sites, but it’s certainly a start, especially if you start to see these in any marketing campaigns."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back