IT.COM

news People are forgetting .com exists — ICANN survey

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Have you ever heard of .com, .net and .org?
That question was posed to 3,349 domain name registrants in 24 countries by market research firm Nielsen this June and guess what — awareness of all three cornerstone gTLDs was down on a comparable 2015 survey.
Equally unbelievably, awareness of .net and .org fell from 76% to 69% and from 70% to 65% respectively between 2015 and 2016, the survey found.
While the number of respondents were measured in the low thousands, the idea is that they provide a representative sample of all internet users and domain name registrants.
The surveys did not only cover awareness and registration patterns. There are literally hundreds of data points in there covering different perceptions of TLDs new and old. I’ve just focused here on the ones that made me question whether the survey was worth the time, expense and paper it was written on...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let's compare new gTLDs to .com and legacy TLDs (based on the ICANN survey I previously mentioned):

in 2016: 16% of people know about gTLDs.
in 2016: 95% of people know about .com and 89% of people know about legacy TLDs in general.

in 2016: 12% of people will visit a new GTLD site.
in 2016: 81% of people will visit a legacy TLD (com, net, org,..).

awareness.png

in 2016: 45% of people trust the new gTLDs.
in 2016: 91% of people trust legacy TLDs.

trust.png

Wow you guys most be so heavily invested that you can't accept the fact that change could possibly happen, not now but down the line. The report does not bash .com, it's still #1.

Unreal IMO... :roll:

•••
The report does not bash .com, it's still #1

Maybe the report doesn't but the headline of the story is people are forgetting .com exists. If that is not hype not sure what is.

if the new extensions were really successful and in demand we wouldn't need surveys to show it because it would be self evident. Makes you wonder why we see so many hype stories instead. The only thing that proponents can do at this point is to suggest that promising developments are happening because in the real world there is not that much happening. Of course the hype always needs to suggest that .com is getting weaker and weaker. They should try to focus on marketing it as an alternative to.com not as a replacement.

Would work better for them IMO.

•••
Wow you guys most be so heavily invested that you can't accept the fact that change could possibly happen, not now but down the line. The report does not bash .com, it's still #1.

I can perfectly accept the fact that change can happen. In fact, change is already happening. Awareness of gTLDs grew by 2% compared to last year and trust in gTLDs is down 4% this year. Both are "change".

•••
I can perfectly accept the fact that change can happen. In fact, change is already happening. Awareness of gTLDs grew by 2% compared to last year and trust in gTLDs is down 4% this year. Both are "change".

one could spin that into: The more nGTLDs consumers come in contact with the less they trust them.

If that had been about .com we would have probably seen a news story like this.

•••

and you are not invested in nGTLDs? Perhaps you can't accept that they aren't taking off.

•••
and you are not invested in nGTLDs? Perhaps you can't accept that they aren't taking off.

I'm invested in everything, I don't live in a box. ;)

•••

And a perfect reply from
600+ DOMAINS TO CHOOSE FROM
All .com ;)

•••
And a perfect reply from
600+ DOMAINS TO CHOOSE FROM
All .com ;)
I have around 12 gTLDs actually. Even on the first page you see a couple. So no, I'm not all .com (but mostly , yes).

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I have around 12 gTLDs actually. Even on the first page you see a couple. So no, I'm not all .com (but mostly , yes).

And you state on your site:

600+ HAPPY CUSTOMERS
We have already sold more than 600 great domains to people and businesses just like you.

Would love to see that list, then due respect is in order..

•••
Why when you bash them with your mob?
I'm stating facts (a survey in this case). You call it bashing. It's probably true that stating gTLD facts often equals bashing. ;)

Anyways, just because I invested in a tiny amount of gTLDs doesn't mean I can't express my opinion on them. I don't think all gTLDs are crap (I like .club for example and think .blog and .web have the potential to do ok as well). But people need to be realistic. Investing in gTLDs is a huge risk at the moment with almost no chance that this will ever change. In my case it doesn't matter if I never sell a single gTLD as I don't have that many to start with (and will drop most of them) but it's another story regarding people who have more than half of their portfolio invested in gTLDs.

I actually planned a few months ago that I would be getting a few .shop and .blog domains but decided recently that I won't. Having 12 gTLD lottery tickets is enough for me.

•••
And you state on your site:

600+ HAPPY CUSTOMERS
We have already sold more than 600 great domains to people and businesses just like you.

Would love to see that list, then due respect is in order..

Actually close to 700 now. But keep in mind that's over a period of 6-7 years. Not all of those sales are end users obviously (a lot of my .com domains I sell on Namejet, Godaddy, Sedo and Afternic as well). I rarely sell on forums though.

•••
Actually close to 700 now. But keep in mind that's over a period of 6-7 years. Not all of those sales are end users obviously (a lot of my .com domains I sell on Namejet, Godaddy, Sedo and Afternic as well). I rarely sell on forums though.

Like I figured, no data.. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Like I figured, no data.. ;)
Lol you assume I need to prove anything. You're the one going to my website and copy/pasting stuff. I never said anything about how many domains I sold until you yourself said I sold over 600 by looking at my website. I don't even see how any of this is relevant to this thread. If you really want to know I sometimes share a sale here and there on the forum but I prefer to keep most of my sales private. Question: Are you going to share your sales data with everyone just because someone asks you to?

•••
Lol you assume I need to prove anything. You're the one going to my website and copy/pasting stuff. I never said anything about how many domains I sold until you yourself said I sold over 600 by looking at my website. I don't even see how any of this is relevant to this thread. If you really want to know I sometimes share a sale here and there on the forum but I prefer to keep most of my sales private. Question: Are you going to share your sales data with everyone just because someone asks you to?

600 sales seems massive to me, therefore if I can't take your comments serious let's see them.
If members here should take what ever you say seriously, your site says it all. :)

Just post all 600 and all is well, ;)

Last edited:
•••
Hey I think outside the box on a lot of stuff I just prefer realistic results and know whats worked over time. I own a non dot com. KWP dot domains.

•••
•••
•••
•••
600 sales seems massive to me, therefore if I can't take your comments serious let's see them.
If not members here should not take what ever you say seriously, your site says it all. :)

Trying to discredit my opinions and statements just because I'm not releasing a 600+ sold domain list is sad imo.

It's also cute that you selectively ignored my question:

Are you going to share your sales data with everyone if I would ask you to?

Also, selling 600+ domains over a period of 6-7 years equals around 100 sold domains per year. I don't see how this is massive. If all of these would be end user sales then granted it would be amazing but as I mentioned before I sell domains on several marketplaces and plenty of my sales are not to end users. A lot of my domain sales are at wholesale pricing. Some domains I sell for $69 at Namejet and some domains I sell for 4 or sometimes 5 figures to end users. My highest sale so far was baza.com which I sold for $14.1K (purchased for $4K from an end user). Feel free to verify on namebio.

In any case, my 600+ sold domains on my website is a true statement. But in the end whether or not you believe me doesn't matter to me. And based on your logic that if I don't share my sales I shouldn't be taken seriously then I guess most people here shouldn't be taken seriously, starting with yourself.

•••
Interesting how this article appears to be written with a slant towards a growing awareness of the new gtld's. It's wise not to live in a bubble and realize there are other extensions making some progress. I have invested in a only FEW keyword gtld's and continue to focus most of my energy and strategy towards .com. IMO .com with always be king for the foreseeable future.
thanks for the article! B-)

•••
If members here should take what ever you say seriously, your site says it all. :)

Does anyone else notice that, when certain people are losing a debate, they have a tendency to deflect by inventing reasons to make another person look bad?

I've noticed that.

•••
I'm looking at the over all picture, that things are changing and whether it's new g's, cctlds etc.. It is changing slowly and if you don't agree with the survey so be it.

Even @Eric Lyon said this unless it wasn't him?

Eric Lyon
September 22, 2016 at 8:47 pm

When's the last time you've looked at the TOP section? I wouldn't be basing my investment decisions on his word.

•••
Does anyone else notice that, when certain people are losing a debate, they have a tendency to deflect by inventing reasons to make another person look bad?

I've noticed that.
Exactly.

•••
Somebody is possibly seeing some handwriting on the wall that there is going to be massive droppings. The idea is simple - let's tailor their mind to hold on to worthless items and we will be smiling again.

Why is this coming out at a time when registrars' renewal emails are ignored?

There is always room for speculations in business but then, wisdom demands informed investment decisions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back