NameSilo

Personal Productivity Megathread

Spaceship
Watch

How do you think about productivity?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
I am a big fan of productivity hacks -- how to get a lot done in a day. There are some folks here that I know think similarly, and are generous with their ideas and input. I want to see if we can all raise our A-games by sharing productivity hacks that let us get more done in a day. My original list is a bit generic and was posted in a LinkedIn article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/startup-productivity-2018-robert-monster/

I have been thinking more about this topic lately. I am hoping that like-minded folks with experience can share some of their favorite productivity hacks. If folks do have good hacks, please bring them and we'll see if we can help lots of folks do great in domains and in life! If we work together, we can make the pie BIGGER rather than fight over the small pie.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I came across this on Twitter today, attributed to the great (now deceased) physicist Richard Feynman. It seems like good advice to me.
FOUR Productivity FEYNMAN- strategies:
• Stop trying to know-it-all.
• Don't worry about what others are thinking.
• Don't think about what you want to be, but what you want to do.
• Have a sense of humor and talk honestly.
On the 1st one, reminds me of some general rules of thumb for personal productivity when it comes to innovating: Unless you're looking to simplify something - which can take knowing a subject well to do a good job of it - don't try learning everything you can about something before starting to innovate. It can track/hold your thinking too much along lines of what already exists.​

Last edited:
•••
I think there is a lot of truth to that.

If I knew what was involved with running a registrar, there is no way I would have embarked on it. There would be a liability in knowing too much because it would be easy to become daunted. It helped that we could acquire an existing registrar and figure the rest out.

I would also not underestimate the benefit of small acquisitions for getting started. For example, the acquisition of Sibyl Systems has massively expanded our opportunities in the world of cloud, Kubernetes and OpenStack. I don't know much about it but I now employ and trust people who do!

Lastly, I think humility is key. In my experience the more you know, the more you know you don't know. So, find your niche based on your unique circumstance, gift or talent, and then work with others who have their own unique situations. I believe when we do that, the possibilities are pretty endless.

They say when you, write —it exercises the mind.

I dont know if this applies to typing, but I try to get into the habit of putting down anything on paper.

Sounds like writing exercise, for authors? but true!

The irony, is you run a registrar does that mean Frequently use pc? dont kno if applies to typing.

But judging from your posts, I presume — reading another excellent way (as I’m sure you know)
I dont want to be that boring guy who recommends books (most dont have “time”) consider the read: 7 habits of highly Effective People, which sure u read. Keep up the great work, my favorite thread on Np!

-Samer

Last edited:
•••
“Other research highlights the hand's unique relationship with the brain when it comes to composing thoughts and ideas.Virginia Berninger, a professor of educational psychology at the U of Washington, says handwriting differs from typing it requires executing sequential strokes to form a letter, whereas keyboarding involves selecting a whole letter by touching a key.” (2010 WSJ link above)

Writing on paper isn't just for writers folks!
You can be productive, write down your goals dreams end of the day, closer to accomplishing, if nothing to write about, helps you, better understand urself! technology age; easy 2 forget, writin on paper is not a lost art!

I’m only half-kidding but...
I bet, i still have a faster wpm than you, Rob ;.)
(not sayin ur slow typer.., think u wud b fastest Np)

Last edited:
•••
So, find your niche based on your unique circumstance, gift or talent, and then work with others who have their own unique situations. I believe when we do that, the possibilities are pretty endless.

On 'unique', a friend thinks I should be a provocation (a 'po') consultant, creating 'productive disruption':
http://www.debonogroup.com/podisruption.php

I told him I see the value of such a skill as highly underrated by most, and will remain that way by most for a long time - so I don't see any real $ in it as a consultant. Also more practice required on my part before I'd feel comfortable labeling myself a consultant for it.

But the productivity possibilities from doing it properly enough...

•••
This thread might disappear, but just to keep it real, I wanted to share a picture of my two biggest productivity hacks of 2019:

1. Outdoor standing desk/office

Show attachment 129980

This from just now -- the desk is off our back deck in Seattle. I am planning to work outside all winter when not traveling. ICYMI, I don't commute to an office. Our people are all over the world.

2. Breakfast high in anti-oxidants:

Cottage cheese
Greek yogurt
Blueberries
Goji berries
Pomegranate seeds
Chia seeds
Walnuts
Cinnamon
Manuka honey

maybe i am late, but i am soooooooooooo loving the picture there, so peaceful! really nice! it would be great to work at such place like that

•••
•••
One other thing that might make us stay put is our health condition and having access to doctors who are familiar with us, but for younger domainers that are healthy and successful I guess the World can be their oyster. IMO
Oh yes, I agree, after 40 it goes all down, just turned this age this year and well ... having a good, friendly GP is a must! If they are not friendly, replace them. You can be rich and succesful, but once you start to have health problems, it is not funny really.. saying that, good healthcare (when you have money and access to it) will nowdays solve almost all problem, so it is not that bad after all.

And prevention, prevention, prevention ... also a big must. As if you are sick, all your productivity will vanish quickly.

•••
Temperate year-round. Rarely freezes. The eaves on the roof keep the deck dry unless you have 20+ mph winds but otherwise great. There are so many beautiful places in the world. If I were a domainer, I would not pick Seattle. For one thing, it is way too expensive here. I think we need some Domainer Co-working Dojos in places like Indonesia with fast Internet. @franka46 could work on that for us. He knows people.

Places like this:

Forget WeWork. If I was single and without kids, I would seriously be a Digital Nomad.
Thats the place i talked about ..Its on Mertasari beach Sanur

•••
I am a big fan of coffee. :)

Big productivity tip: Get organic coffee beans and buy a machine that makes coffee at the push of a button. If you use milk, I recommend whole RAW milk if you can find it.

Bonus points: While the coffee brews, empty the dishwasher, change the laundry, or hit the head. It is better than watching coffee brew and it frees up time for useful things.

Talking about coffee ,i think I still have the sole rights for China to use the coffee brand name Lazumba ,Australian coffee.
I brokered a deal between the producers in Aus and a group of Shanghai investors ,only because of the lazyness of the Aus producers ,the deal failed .

Attachments

• Presentation.jpg
    Presentation.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
•••
Most reliable, simple link, could find on the subject:

Mashable is reliable source; acquired $50M, 2017
(Yes, my defense of “reliable” -is being acquired! :xf.wink:)

blame for their decline.. “jack of all trades” reporting on everything, without a niche focus.. anyway..

appreciated this type of reporting.. Most info, I could find on the subject, outside this 2010 WSJ piece.

Last edited:
•••
To have dogs is actually very good, they are constantly lowering our stress levels......

Not so much if those dogs are your various neighbor's dogs and as they walk them by your house they allow them to poop and pee anywhere on your yard killing whatever is hit.

And.....then your kids go out and play in the front yard only to roll around and land in pooped on / peed on grass. :-/

If that doesnt raise the stress levels then the bratty and childish response from the neighbors, when asked to stop, will certainly increase the BP and its also not so good on productivity.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back