Domain Empire

Picking a domain based on location

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi I'm new to domaining id like to know if picking a domain name based on a specific service or product and a specific location is a good idea. for example bestnewyorkexample.com Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For resale or development?

It depends on the city and term. The right city + term can be a good combo.

Brad

•••
Yes, it is a good combo and a good way of having specific end users.

•••
Narrowing down your domain name choice

Is picking a domain name based on specific key words and a specific location such as a state or city a good idea. for example bestnewyorkexample.com Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
•••
picking for resell or development?

if you reside in the location and can provide or know something about the product/service, then it can be an advantage

•••
determining domain name value

A lot of domains I have checked on domain value sites have zero value. I have read not to put to much stock in what these sites say. Just because a site says a domain has no value is it true or does it not have value yet because its under developed. Can a domain still have value or be developed into valuable even when a valuation site says its worthless.

Last edited:
•••
It all depends if the domains can be developed or not. Some domains like gibberish that can not be branded or are trademarked, don't have any value.

•••
•••
maybe aim for something that isn't limited to the specific area een though the geo is in the name. newyorkbagels/com would be great. bestnewyorkbagels/com seems like it would be okay, but often the extra word kills it.

•••
A lot of domains I have checked on domain value sites have zero value. I have read not to put to much stock in what these sites say. Just because a site says a domain has no value is it true or does it not have value yet because its under developed. Can a domain still have value or be developed into valuable even when a valuation site says its worthless.

instead of checking value of unregistered domains, check the value of domains with publicized selling prices against what those "value site" appraise them at.

you'll see a big difference, which hopefully will open your eyes about the credibility of those results.

anytime you put "work" into something, it's potential to increase in value, increases.

•••
thanks for the great advice everyone

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back